Ten days in Coral Triangle / Asia, where to dive? On a budget!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibeldyboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm looking to travel this year, probably sometime between June and November (I know, vague). I'm on a budget (not strict, there is some elasticity), and am trying to figure out my best bet. I'm also constrained by time, about 10 days total (once again, with some elasticity), with lots of travel time from NYC. I want to have that amazing coral triangle dive experience and the more I read, the more confused / indecisive I get. I'd love to come in $2000 USD, or less, all in (diving, accommodations, flights, other transportation), but realize that may be too little for what I'm looking for. I don't think I'd want to go above $3000 USD though.

A bit about me:
My diving experiences have been mainly within the Caribbean due to proximity. I've had some great experiences (I got to do Belize including the Blue Hole / Lighthouse Reef which was pretty amazing), but I know there is so much more in the coral triangle. About 10 years ago I got to spend a week on Lizard Island (in Australia), and dive the Yongala wreck, which was absolutely amazing. I'm not particularly into wrecks, but the life and diversity surrounding it is what really interests me. I've done about 50 total dives (advanced / nitrox certified). I love to snorkel from shore as it's great to be able to see everything without being taxed by all the scuba equipment, or timing of the dive operator. I am a single diver, going by myself which inflates the price of everything.

I'd say I love everything, but my tops are: Corals (fields of Acropora, soft corals as well) / Macro / Muck (have never done this, but looks amazing) / Biodiversity (should also note I love Giant Clams / Cephalopods / Nudis / and other inverts)
This isn't to say I don't love seeing big things / wrecks / etc., but it's not my #1 priority.

I should also note that I wouldn't mind having some top side enjoyment, I love to eat, so good food (not expensive food, but exotic food is what interests me); being able to grab a beer; and maybe being able to trek out into nature for a day or so would be cool.

Places I've been Looking at (by no means do I need to stay within the realm of these places, they just seem to come up a lot)
Philippines - Anilao / Dumaguete / Apo Island - Pros - Good flights from NYC and cheap (only about $750/rt); seems to be good muck diving and coral coverage; Cons - It looks like the other locales I've listed are consistently rated as having much better diving.
Indonesia - Komodo / Raja Ampat / Manado / Bunaken / Lembeh - Pros - Best diving in the world (Raja); Bunaken - Shore snorkeling; Cons - Expensive to get to / Long transit time / Expensive for Liveaboards
Palau - Pros - Easy to get to; Amazing Sea Life; Cons - Expensive to get to / Seems to be biased towards big things, not macro / muck / coral, etc; Would likely do land based due to cost.
Malaysia - Mabul / Sipadan; Pros - Cheaper end of things; Amazing sea life; Much at Mabul; Cons - Long transit time; Safety issues?; Permit for Sipadan;

I'd love to grab some advice. I was supposed to go to Philippines last March, but that fell through. Hoping to plan this one right to have an amazing experience. I'd say now I'm leaning towards Philippines due to the cost / ease of travel, but am easily swayed. Another interesting, not so expensive option is Bunaken / Lembeh area. Also very interested in a liveaboard, but on a budget of course!

Thanks everyone, I'm excited to hear back and plan!

Last edited:
I would recommend Komodo for variety and quality of diving, but it will require a Liveaboard and a stopover in Bali. That's not the worst thing in the world, Bali has some great (and affordable) diving too (not to mention non-diving attractions). My personal faves are Black Manta (Liveaboard) for Komodo and Scuba Seraya (resort) in the Tulamben area of Bali but there are plenty of quality operators in both locations. Black Manta does 6 day trips including 16 dives and a couple of land visits to see the dragons for about USD 1600 if I recall correctly.

Alternatively Lembeh is probably the best muck/critter diving in the world and easily accessible from a variety of resorts at different price points. If you like Cephalopods then look no further - mimic octopus, wonderpus, blue ringed octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish - all are relatively common there, with rarer species like hairy octopus possible though by no means guaranteed.

Lembeh combines well with Bunaken and/or Bangka - all are within a couple of hours of Manado airport which has multiple direct flights a week from Singapore on SilkAir (Singapore Airlines' regional subsidiary). Raja Ampat seems to be out on account of your timing - season there is usually Sept-May I understand.

Either a Bali/Komodo or Lembeh/Bunaken/Bangka combo would work well for 10 days and be do-able within your budget once you're in SE Asia - though getting from US to Singapore will make the budget more challenging I'm sure.

Hey Bibeldyboo. You've listed some great places, and the good news is wherever you wind up going you'll easily top your experiences in the Caribbean.

Some input on some of the places you've listed...

For Philippines....Anilao and Dumaguete are great choices. You've mentioned that you thought several places might be better than they are, but for a muck/macro destination the only places on par or superior to them would be Lembeh or Ambon in Indonesia. Apo Island is nothing special. You could mix up the experiences by combining Anilao and Puerto Galera, Anilao and Malapascua, or Dumaguete and Malapascua (although you'd lose a day diving with transfer time on the last two options).

For Indonesia...would disagree that Bunaken offers the best of Indonesia, but for a 10 day trip it combines very well with Lembeh and/or Bangka (as James suggested). From their proximity you wouldn't even lose a full day of diving as transfers could be done after diving in the morning. Two Fish has locations in both Bunaken and Lembeh and is a great budget operator that will also give you a discount for staying at both locations. Blue Bay is a good low cost choice for Bangka. There's absolutely no need for a liveaboard in this area. I'd also echo the Komodo (7 day LOB) plus a day or two in Tulamben option (or staying local to Denpasar if Sept-Nov for mola molas) as being both a great option and in your budget. Raja Ampat would blow your budget.

Palau I'd save for a different time..you make some good points and I'd also say it's not easy to get to.

For Sipadan/Mabul..permits are potentially not a problem depending on who you stay with, but I think the Philippines and Indonesia offer superior options for your first Asia trip and the budget you want to stay on

Also agree with Indonesia and Philippines but rule out Raja Ampat or Komodo Liveaboards if you are on a budget. From Singapore you can take a direct flight to Manado and do Bangka Lembeh and Bunaken then grab a cheap flight down to Bali and you would probably have enough to fly home via Philippines.

bali itself has enough dive sites for 10 days, main dive destinations: padang bai/candi dasa, nusa penida, amed, Tulamben, and Pemuteran/menjangan; from exotic critters of muck diving to large stuff such as manta and shark, and mola on the right time. Tulamben Liberty wreck is great site - the wreck is encrusted with hard and soft corals, crowded with marine lifes.
Pro - Easy to get, not expensive, does not require LOB, great top site attractione

north sulawesi also has more than enough dive site for 10 days, ie. Bunaken, lembeh, Bangka and Gorontalo.

Keep Komodo and Raja ampat for your next trip

For your budget the Philippines is a good fit. I'm in Anilao currently and just had 2 really great dives off Sombreo Island. They also have muck/Macro here.
The pricing structure in Anilao can be confusing and expensive for single divers, yet I'm trying out a new resort Buceo Anilao which doesn't have the traditional price structure, which is quite an advantage for me as I'm a single diver. I've not done Puerto Galera but hear good things. Both are easy to reach from Manila without other flights.
Bunaken/ Lembeh are also good choices but require more travel time/flights. Bali is also a good option with good prices great diving combine Nusa Lembongan with Tulambe
Liveaboards are probably out of your price range but Komodo is spectacular combining big stuff/beautiful reefs/and excellent muck.
But for 10 days I'd go with the PI, a great way to get hooked on the triangle. Problem is once you've come out here you only want to come back more:D

With only 10 days to spare, I would pick Anilao + Puerto Galera. If the price structure in Anilao is too confusing then PG is more than enough to cater you for 10 days of excellent diving.
Contact Frontier Scuba, Sea Rider or South Sea for quote. Expect to pay around US$100.00 for three dives and room(with breakfast).

I'd say I love everything, but my tops are: Corals (fields of Acropora, soft corals as well) / Macro / Muck (have never done this, but looks amazing) / Biodiversity (should also note I love Giant Clams / Cephalopods / Nudis / and other inverts)
This isn't to say I don't love seeing big things / wrecks / etc., but it's not my #1 priority.

I should also note that I wouldn't mind having some top side enjoyment, I love to eat, so good food (not expensive food, but exotic food is what interests me); being able to grab a beer; and maybe being able to trek out into nature for a day or so would be cool.

Indonesia - Komodo / Raja Ampat / Manado / Bunaken / Lembeh - Pros - Best diving in the world (Raja); Bunaken - Shore snorkeling; Cons - Expensive to get to / Long transit time / Expensive for Liveaboards

Funny you haven't listed Bali in your Indo list, I come to Indonesia regularly and never had a year in the past 5 years without a stop in Bali.
I would put it on top of the SEA newbie list, it ticks everything you listed in your divewish without the need to hop from one island to another. You will only have to move 2 or 3 times by car or speedboat in your stay (less than 3 hours each time).

Macro/muck and biodiversity : Tulamben area.
Corals hard or soft : Amed, Nusa Penida, Padang Bai and Tulamben area. (don't even bother with Menjangan, it's a long drive and you will get everything elsewhere).
Topside enjoyment : you're in Bali...:D

Ditto what Luko says!!!

need indonesia destination advice please.

-whats the best place for a liveaboard or dive resort for 7 days or less?
-Raja Ampat, triton bay, banda sea, komodo, north sulawesi, bali (mola mola?)
-would like to see big fish (mola mola?), hard coral, walls, peaks, wrecks. less interested in macro & muck.

too many choices.. please help!
thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom