Yet another 'where should I go in Asia' thread!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yes, sorry. Another selfish post. BUT I seek to query the wisdom of the Scubaboards!

Here is my conundrum: A business trip got cancelled so I have about a week and a half free and I want to take a holiday in mid-February. I have a ton of airmiles on Cathay so Hong Kong will be my hub, (or Bangkok/Manila I suppose as it is a short trip).

Here are my requirements:

• On a budget, happy to slum it for accommodation, but I will spend money on fast and efficient transportation: time > money.
  • 1 day travel from Hong Kong or Bangkok (including planes, taxis, boats, jeepneys, etc...)
  • I hate Manila airport, avoiding it would be nice, but not a deal-breaker
  • Good visibility an absolute must - going in mid-February
  • I would like healthy reefs, lots to see, nothing too crazy - 40m max depth (not doing Trimix as trying to keep costs down). I really just need to unwind, and destress, all of that underwater while looking at pretty colourful things and breathing slowly.
  • Some nightlife, I am going alone so some nice bars would be nice, otherwise I will be bored when not underwater.
  • Big fish would be a big plus, but not an absolute requirement
  • Nothing that will break the bank (Palau is out due to cost of getting there, but I would love to return there one day!)
  • Not really considering liveaboards as since I am alone it will cost double...

My current thoughts:
  • A return to Puerto Galera, but I have been there/done that, twice. I do like it though.
  • Going back to Subic Bay - last time I saw little because the visibility was terrible
  • Something on Cebu again? I have done Moalboal and Malapascua and they are tedious to get to.
  • Thailand? But I don't know it well. Only dived from a liveaboard for a few days in the Andaman, I was based in Phuket and would like to avoid that place. It's pretty filthy and yet expensive.
  • Coron? Someone told me it was fun.
  • your suggestion here.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure why you are not interested in a liveaboard. There is no reason for a LOB to cost double since you are alone. You can book a berth on just about any charter and if you are willing to share a cabin, you will not pay a single supplement. I occasionally have divers get lucky and that second berth doesn't sell so they have a cabin to themselves. Of course the nightlife on a LOB is a bit limited... ; > )

Dumaguete is lovely and you can get back across to Oslob to see the whale sharks if you wish. Nergros is easily reached by fast ferry from Cebu. The diving is a great mix of reefs and macro.

Otherwise I would consider a Thailand or Burma LOB and follow this with a few days on Ko Lanta.But the diving in the Philippines is far better and cheaper than Thailand.

Ok a short LOB is possible! Any ideas?

Plus 1 for the Dumaguete idea!Loved the diving there!!!
Dumaguete is lovely and you can get back across to Oslob to see the whale sharks if you wish. Nergros is easily reached by fast ferry from Cebu. The diving is a great mix of reefs and macro.

Otherwise I would consider a Thailand or Burma LOB and follow this with a few days on Ko Lanta.But the diving in the Philippines is far better and cheaper than Thailand.

1. Chinese New Year is on 19th Feb.
2. CX use T3 in Manila which is a lot better than the old and dump T1.
3. You have been to Moalboal, Malapascua, PG and Subic in Philippines.
4. Coron will need an extra domestic flight and if you stay in budget places then the wrecks are very far. But the viz is a lot better than Subic and most of the wrecks are no deeper than 40m. If you like wreck then this is THE place in whole SE Asia.
5. Dumaguete? You have to dive, eat and sleep from the same resort unless you are staying at Harold's Mansion!
My suggestion:
1. Alona Beach in Bohol.
CX has daily direct flight from HKG to CEB in the morning(08:35/11:20). Ocean Jet, Super Cat and Weesam have several daily trips to Tagbilaren. Take taxi or motor tricycle to Alona Beach from the ferry terminal.
2. Bali
CX also has direct flight to Denpasar. But the general cost of accommodation, diving, food etc are higher than Philippines.
3. Coron

Of all the diving destinations in Philippines, Moalboal is the easier to get to. Taxi to Southern Bus Terminal, bus to Moalboal and finally a trike to the beach head. No ferry or domestic connection to worry.

Last edited:
Dumaguete -- stay on Apo Island for a couple of nights. There is company in the dining room at Liberty's. As compensation for the lights (and fans) going off at 9:30 every night, you can dive your socks off in blissfully relaxing conditions. Then stay at Harold's Mansion and experience the rest.
Alona Beach -- again, some very relaxing diving especially off Balicasag.
Bali -- pleasant accommodation was cheaper than in the Philippines for the same quality, IMHO. Padang Bai would probably check all your boxes.
LOB -- you'd probably get an awfully good last-minute price on anything that still has space (or suddenly has space) for mid-Feb. Good luck with that research.

Back
Top Bottom