Dumaguete Philippines Trip Report November 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nov 2014
Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel:

This is my 5th time staying at this hotel. The price is great value for money and I have never had a problem with my car there for the park and fly. They were quick to respond to my email and sent my confirmation promptly. The front desk was polite and quick to check you in. They have a breakfast but we left too early to partake. The pool was very cold but had just been repaired. This place is close to restaurants and far enough from the airport that you don't have to listen to the planes all night. The shuttle was on time and the driver very polite and eager to help. We will be coming back for sure.

Delta Airlines:

We flew Delta for departure on Sat Nov 22 2014 from Toronto to Detroit, Detroit to Narita, Narita to Cebu. 5 hour layover in Detroit, 3.5 hour layover in Narita.. As we are descending into Detroit we were turned around due to ice on the runway. I get its not their fault but what happened after sure was. We were given no information by the flight crew as to what was going to happen once we arrived back at Toronto until just before we land. We are instructed that we must claim our luggage and clear Canadian customs and immigration because we had entered USA airspace. Ok. Not their fault. We land and NOBODY is there. We get to baggage claim and there is one poor woman there who didn't even know we were coming back so she didn't know which carousel we were to go to. Finally our luggage arrives, we clear customs etc and head back up to check in. I go straight to the man in the Delta uniform and instruct him that we have a connector in DTW and that we need to make it in order to get half way around the world. He just looked at me and walked away. So here we are waiting in a line up with all the 10 and 11 o'clock check ins (remembering they knew we had been turned around, one would think that they would have a dedicated staff for the people trying to make connectors) and its about 7:45 AM at this point. I find out there is a flight going to DTW at 9 so I butt in at a side counter and tell them my dilemma. The Delta employee starts keying and keying trying to get us on that flight. She says we are good to go, same flight number, same boarding pass, same luggage tags. We check our 3 bags again and we are off. We were relieved. Now to clear US customs and Immigration again which when they saw we were in a hurry, they put us through the pilot line. Good job folks. We get to our gate to be told we are not on the flight and it is full. GRRRR. They tell us to check two gates over because they know a flight is going to DTW at 9:25. We go over to that gate and sure enough we are on that flight. Whew, that was close. We still have plenty of time to make our connector with our luggage. Then the flight gets delayed again (can't remember the time but still ok to make the connector). The sign puts up delayed AGAIN: 11:37. I have now missed my connector. Flight crew had timed out. Deltas solution, put me on a flight tomorrow via Korean Air (not my first choice as I have flown them before). Wanted to cancel the flight and just stay home at this point but I had deposit in Philippines that was not refundable. We take the flight and ask for Delta to put us up for the night at our hotel where we left our car. They started back peddling saying it was weather related. I explained to them that if that man at the check in had acknowledged me I would have made that first flight before it filled up.They reluctantly paid for the hotel and directed us to go back upstairs for our luggage to get deplaned as there is a turnstile up there for such occasions. We go upstairs and only 2 of our 3 bags show up. We go back to the Delta counter and wait for the lady to call everywhere and look everywhere. Finally after being in the airport for almost 12 hours she tells us to go to the hotel and she will have our bag when we come back the next day. So at 4:10 AM on Sunday we head to the airport. NO bag. The same lady is there and she calls somebody on the radio and somebody told her that it was locked up in some room that whoever holds the key won't be in until 8 AM. We leave at 7:10 AM. She instructed me to get on the plane and she would do everything to get that bag on the plane and that it would be checked right through to CEB so not to worry. I last saw my bag on Sat Nov 22 and it was Nov 29th before my bag appeared. This cost me a day of diving and dive gear rental. Way to go Delta. I called when I got home and got the runaround again. This will be my last dealings with Delta. The flight home of course was on time, all my luggage made it. The seats were the tightest I have ever been on. I have done transpacific flight with at least 10 companies but nothing was as bad as leg room as Delta. The food was ok but did not make up for the lack of sleep.

Eloisa Royal Suites, Lapu Lapu Cebu:

http://eloisaroyalsuites.com

We go back to our hotel and the rebooking of hotels begins. I called Expedia to try to get my hotel (Eloisa Royal Suites, Lapu Lapu_ Cebu City) moved one day and the young man said because of the time change that I was out of the cancellation period but he would call the hotel and see what they could do. They moved the reservation NO CHARGE. This was a great hotel. The shuttle was waiting with a sign with my name on it. The porters at the airport followed us to the car and demanded a tip, we simply told them we had no PHP yet and that we only had 50 US notes. I know this sounds bad, and I don't mind tipping at all BUT don't expect if for just being there. The driver got us to the hotel quickly. Check in was quick. There was no tea in the room and was quickly replaced with a couple of extras. The staff was polite and very helpful. Our room was clean and spacious. Its close to malls, pharmacy and 24 hour 7-11 for all your after hour needs. I will definitely go there. Great Job.

South Bus Terminal:

Took a cab from the hotel to the bus station to get on the RORO (roll on roll off) bus from Cebu city to Dumaguette. This bus goes right on the ferry so no messing around with luggage. Cost was about 275 PHP but took all day to get there. We took a jeepny from Dubaguette to Dauin for 300 PHP (he wanted 500 and I said 300) and arrived at our hotel no problems.

J & P Family House

Villa J&P Family Beach House, Dauin | Villas.com

Let me just start by saying that this was a great place. Peter is quick to respond to emails and any questions you may have regarding the area. The two ladies that work there are awesome and make you feel so welcomed. The location was perfect for us. 15 minute walk to the market and bakery. The air conditioner worked great and the fridge was cold. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes and pots and pans. There was an oven, stove, toaster, microwave and unlimited cold and hot mineral water supplied for free. They have a menu for food if you would like the ladies to prepare for you and it looked good but we had planned for our own so we did not order from that menu. The prices were very reasonable. The pool was clean and very refreshing. The beach area was easily accessible. I did not snorkel but dove it instead and was not disappointed. Jane helped me with my lost bag and if not for her efforts I may have not seen it till we got home. I cannot say enough about this place. If you want to just relax by the pool or beach after a day of touring or diving this is the place. I WILL be back next time I go there. Peter, give those ladies a raise :eek:).

Aqua Ventura Divers

http://aquaventuradivers.com

Gary who owns Aqua Ventura is a great guy. Our dive masters name was Roxy and he was fun, curteous and safe. What was great about him is that after he saw us dive the first dive he left us alone to do our thing. We have over 700 dives and we only need a guide. Always around to point out critters but not telling us to hurry or anything. Gave us good bottom time too :eek:). We did four shore dives (muck) and three dives at Apo Island. Gary picked us up at J & P and dropped us off. Kept our gear so we didn't have to lug it back and fourth. We went to Apo Island on a small fishing boat which was ok but they couldn't use the canopy because the wind was up. So, bring a sorong to put over yourself cause the sun is hot :eek:).

MUCK: Here is the partial list: nudies, flatworms, crabs, shrimps, jeuvy crock, rock movers, garden eels, mantis shrimps, many jeuvy angels etc, sharp tooth eels, ornate ghost pipe, stonefish, sweetlips, batfish, angry saddlebacks LOL. and catfish. Saw much more but this report is long enough.

APO: Albino comets, green turtles, nudies, big frogfish, warty frogfish, HUGE school of jacks in a massive ball, banded sea crate, school of BIG bump heads, snowflake eel, leafy scorpionfish, hawksbill turtles, lots of angel, butterfly and anthiases, Oh ya, the reef was EPIC !!!!

Would I dive with Gary and Roxy again, U BET !!!! Had a great time, thanks so much !!!!

Dauin Dive Cafe

This was the only place we ate out at while we were there. We had a burger and it was ok, but I think we ordered Philippino beef instead of western. The staff was happy and very helpful.

Ocean Jet Fast Ferry to Alona Beach

Ferry left on time. We went Business class as the seats were bigger. No charge for the luggage even though their website says there is. Smooth ride.

Lost Horizon Bohol Beach Resort

http://www.losthorizonresort.net

I pre-arranged my transfer online with Albert Tours. Cost 500 PHP but I didn't want the hassle of getting a cab and the hotel was allot more. They were on time, curteous and helpful.

We arrived at the hotel and check in was smooth. Regarding answering emails they were prompt and very forthcoming with informations and pictures. I reserved a deluxe room because I wanted a private patio/balcony. Unfortunately the air conditioner in our room did not work. Maintenance came but could not fix it. We got moved to a standard room with a shared balcony. My husband voiced his unhappiness to the man that helped us transfer. That night they came and told us that tomorrow they were going to upgrade us to the executive suite. The suite was huge and had a private balcony over the bar. Heard no noise from the bar but got to people watch as you get a clear view of the beach and road.The hotel rooms need to start getting upgraded and or repaired. Little things, like wires hanging out of the wall and doors hanging on one hinge, but all three rooms were clean with plenty of hot water. The pool was really nice, small but clean. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it was packed all the time. It was a bit pricy for us.

Restaurants

If you head left out of the hotel, down to the fork, head left and up and down the hill and you will find Jazz. We went to Jazz the first night and liked it so much that we went back two more times. We got pork shish kebobs and baked potato for 240PHP. The pork was tenderloin so needless to say it was very tender and juicy. The portion was so big that I had to give some of mine to my husband. The staff was always polite and eager to help. If you want something altering just ask. We wanted butter for the potato and they were quick to bring it.

If yo head right out of the hotel you will bump into the Thai Restaurant. We went there our last night. The service was excellent but the green curry was not. They went really heavy on the lemon grass and not enough curry. The portion size was large for the price. Nice atmosphere with candles on your table and if wanted, tables on the sand for those who want to hear the water.

Philippine Fun Divers

http://www.boholfundivers.com

This dive op is next door to Lost Horizon making it very convenient. A great organization. Very safe. No lunch was provided so we packed our own. The hotel will pack a lunch for you for a cost. We did get free hot tea, coffee, and water between dives. The boats were big and spacious with plenty of spots for dry bags and camera equipment. It even had a place below where you cold go to if it rained and the best part, a toilet onboard. Our dive master was Toto. He was a very good and safe diver. Once again, upon seeing us dive the first dive we were left to do our own thing. They are so customer oreintated that when the super typhoon Hagupit was on the way they suggested we leave a day early because the ferrys would be stopped. We took there advise, more on that later.

BALICASAG ISLAND: Doesn't matter where you dive here your going to have a great dive. Green turtles, new nudies, Nemo, titan and picasso triggers, black, yellow and white giant frog fish, gigantic ball of jacks, 12 tridacna clams (giant), giant orange frog fish SWIMMING along the ocean floor, too cool, cuttle fish mating, mantis shrimp, the list goes on and on. This is mainly a wall dive but go on top and see the great coral. Worth spending 20 minutes on

ALONA BEACH:

Sea crate, snowflake eel, albino comets, giant beige frog fish, warty white frog fish, moray eels, giant cuttle, school of BIG bump head parrot fish, orange and yellow warty frog fish, clown trigger, mantis, the list goes on and on.

Ocean Jet Fast Ferry

Once again we took this ferry. One thing they don't tell you on the site is that there is a port fee. Its only 15PHP but good to have it on hand. This time they did charge us for the luggage but not per KG per there website but a piece fee. It was still cheaper than doing it the other way. They are VERY strict on the one carry on rule. Fortunately they let us carry on our regulator bags (computers inside) in addition due to their value. Went standard class this time and was ok. There is a food cart that they push around with snacks. I had some noodle soup for 70 PHP. More expensive than the store but good to settle the stomach after a late night.

We had to leave Alona early due to the super typhoon Hagupit was on the way and we thought it prudent to leave on the day before (Thursday) and sure enough the ferries were not running on Friday (our flight was Sat AM).

Quest Hotel Cebu

http://www.questhotels.com/eng/location/hotel/3-Quest-Hotel-And-Conference-Center---Cebu

I had pre booked this hotel and ended up staying at this hotel for two nights due to the early arrival. Check in was a bit slow as there was some confusion, on my part, regarding rates. Other than that it was great. Our room was ok. Small but we don't spend any time in there anyway. The room was very clean and bright with large windows and a great air conditioner. We had a fridge that worked great and kept our snacks and drinks cold. There is an open pool, which was extremely clean, on the seventh floor which keeps the traffic noise away. There are bathrooms and change rooms and even a bar so you don't have to go far. The staff everywhere were fantastic. We didn't eat at the hotel but it was busy both nights we were there.
cleardot.gif

One of the reasons we picked this hotel is the location to the Ayala Mall. This mall is HUGE. It has a grocery store for purchasing water, snacks, etc. There are many restaurants there and we ate both nights at this mall. I can't remember the name of the restaurants but most places were very busy and served a variety of food, both asian and western.

I do want to warn you that, as in most cities, there are very very poor people in the streets asking for change. We were not harassed or felt unsafe, just broken hearted.

Flight Home Delta

Cost 400 PHP to go from hotel to airport. Got a cab right out front of the hotel. Not worth the couple of bucks to lug the luggage away to the main street. Upon arrival at the airport we were met with the usual barrage of porters. A simple no thank you and a smile kept them at bay. We did give the leftover PHP to them to do with as they wished. Don't forget there is departure tax for Cebu airport, 750 PHP each so make sure you put that away upon arrival into Cebu so you don't have to wait in line for exchange.

Delta flight was cramped cramped cramped as I stated at the beginning of this trip report. The food was ok, the entertainment worked great and the staff was wonderful. Of course all the luggage made it home no problem. FYI. Nothing given to us for the bag being lost..

Toronto Plaza

We called the hotel and the driver showed up quickly and took us quickly to the hotel where we got our car and headed home.

Philippines is wonderful country and I can't wait to go back :eek:)..

Sharkbait98

Great report!
Getting there is half the fun!!!!
I am glad HK is only couple of hrs away from Philippines.

Nice report!

What an absolute nightmare getting from Toronto to Philippines!! It really sounds like a horrible experience!

Please, please tell me that next time you will take the Philippine Airlines flight that goes from Toronto to Manila (via Vancouver)!!! I have taken PAL Vancouver to Manila 12 times (i.e., 24 legs) and have always had a very good experience!

Upgrading to premium economy makes Delta's legroom bearable.

However, nothing would make that messup and poor service bearable. Agree that PAL is the better option.

Thanks very much for the details on hotels and travelling around. Your guides and dive ops sound great.

Great report but I almost missed it. Why is it not in the Philippines forum?

Back
Top Bottom