Recommendation for trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchiemoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to do a trip somewhere in Asia for a week to ten days by myself. The trip would be in either early to mid May or sometime after mid July. Part of the reasoning for the trip is that that I know that late May to early July is going to be extremely hectic and challenging for me. So with that in mind, I'm looking to have a nice relaxing trip.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Bali or the Philippines. I've previously dived in Thailand at Koh Tao but have not dived the Andaman Sea. I have however dived in French Polynesia which was amazing.

What I am looking for is suggestions of destinations and recommendations of reputable dive operators.

Early to mid May would be a good time for the Philippines. Warmish, and the middle of school holidays, but good diving.

What do you like to see? What airport would you fly into? Cebu or Manila would dictate different easy choices.

After mid July, the risk of typhoons gradually rises for the Philippines. And the mola-mola season begins in Nusa Penida, Bali. Those would involve some risk of nasty downcurrents, though, so it depends how venturesome you feel. There are other fine spots in Bali for easier diving.

What are your requirements for above-water pleasure? Food? Good company? Peace and quiet? Beach?

Whatever period early may or july onwards is great for Bali as well as many Indonesian spots east of Bali (such as Komodo or Alor) or north Sulawesi or Sipadan, even though it was not apparent in your choices.
Depends on what are your expectations (corals, muck, macro, fish schools, big fish, etc.).

Personally I take Indonesia & Sipadan slightly better diving than the Phils in general, although i go back regularly to the Phils (for instance 3 times the last 15 months).

I would recommend Layang Layang. Great corals, hammerheads (way, way out in the blue, not worth the loss of diving time on the reef, but that's just me) Fairly easy diving. Sipidan is the best I've ever done with Layang Layang a close second.

I've dove Lembongan (Nusa Penida actually) off Bali twice. The currents can be strong with ups and downs. I used Two Fish when I'm there and have confidence in their safety. They won't go to places depending on currents.

Hi, if you're heading for the Philippines i would recommend to go the Visayas. A lot of great destinations not far from each other. For a 10 day trip you can easily visit 2 destinations, depending on your preference. For pelagics go to Malapascua to see thresher sharks, and Dumaguete/Dauin for Whalesharks (oslob), macro diving go to Cabilao and Dumaguete/Dauin. Coral Gardens ALona Beach (balicasag) and Apo Island off the coast of Dumaguete/Dauin. Sea Explorers has diveshops and resorts in all these areas, so you can combine several destinations with just one dive operator. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom