Diving Trip From Kuala Lumpur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nowhereman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, looking for some advice from people more familiar with diving in SEA than me. I'm currently living in Malaysia and diving a lot less than when I was in the UK, so far I've made it to Perhentians, Gilli islands and Langkawi (not doing that last one again methinks). I've got a 5 day holiday next month (job is a bit of a pain for any kind of long holiday as we're a small team) so want to maximise diving days, which means ideally nowhere that will involve a day of travelling.

Currently my plan is Koh Lipe, I can get a flight to Langkawi after work and catch a mornin ferry, possibly. Failing that Tioman is a possibility (but also possibly doable as a long weekend, and meant to have slightly less fun diving so second choice). I'm not sure if I'm really going for the best option here though. Is there somewhere with better diving that's just as easy to get to? Or can someone persuade me it's worth losing a day of diving to go somewhere else? I'm a reasonably seasoned diver (Almost 200 logged dives now) with my own gear.

Also since I'm posting already, I'd greatly appreciate any tips on clubs or shops in or near KL that organise trips as it might be fun to find some other people to go with and encourage me to get underwater a bit more often again!

Should be the start of the season to dive Redang and Perhantians up on the east coast of peninsular Malaysia, no need to fly as you can take the bus to Kuala Terrenganu and it's cheaper, or you could fly there and take a bus back to KL to maximise diving.

I have not been up there for a few years now, but I guess it has not changed much

I have always used Redang Bay Resort and had several family holidays there during the 90s when the place was less busy. Last time I dived there was around 2009.

Thanks very much for the recommendation. My only hesitation with that is that as I said I've dived Perhentians before. They're great but I'm one of these awkward people that always wants to try something new :D For the other sites, I reckon I can manage them on long weekends as well so I'd rather go a little further afield. One recommendation I've had is either Koh Lipe or Koh Lanta in Thailand, both seem doable in my time frame (overnight flight after work to nearby and an early morning ferry cut out the first day travelling pretty much).

I'm not sure which will offer better diving in April though, anyone have experience at either of these places? Or recommendations on accommodation/dive shops there?

Great recommendations! I've been half thinking of a Bali trip for almost a year now but I've settled on Koh Lanta for next month, should make it in just before the end of the season. Still trying to look into possible short trips since all of these options need a day either side for travel so really can't be less than 4 days total.

For Lanta accommodation, I can recommend Mook Lanta Resort, and they can help with transfers from Krabi airport... One of the owners is a dive instructor too...

Enjoy your trip !

Hi Nowhereman, Are you still in Malaysia? Have you tried Pulau Sibu yet? Pulau Sibu is a small island near East Coast of Malaysia. I generally go there once every month. Currently I donot have photos available with me, however if you are interested, kindly send me a message. By the way, I am not running any dive shop. I am just an enthusiastic diver looking for a buddy. Thank you.
Hi all, looking for some advice from people more familiar with diving in SEA than me. I'm currently living in Malaysia and diving a lot less than when I was in the UK, so far I've made it to Perhentians, Gilli islands and Langkawi (not doing that last one again methinks). I've got a 5 day holiday next month (job is a bit of a pain for any kind of long holiday as we're a small team) so want to maximise diving days, which means ideally nowhere that will involve a day of travelling. Currently my plan is Koh Lipe, I can get a flight to Langkawi after work and catch a mornin ferry, possibly. Failing that Tioman is a possibility (but also possibly doable as a long weekend, and meant to have slightly less fun diving so second choice). I'm not sure if I'm really going for the best option here though. Is there somewhere with better diving that's just as easy to get to? Or can someone persuade me it's worth losing a day of diving to go somewhere else? I'm a reasonably seasoned diver (Almost 200 logged dives now) with my own gear. Also since I'm posting already, I'd greatly appreciate any tips on clubs or shops in or near KL that organise trips as it might be fun to find some other people to go with and encourage me to get underwater a bit more often again!

Hi there,

I'm going to Malaysia for two weeks around Christmas and New years. Do you want to give me recommendations where should I go diving? I heard that Sipadan and Layang Layang are top spots for scuba diving. I'm flying to Kuala Lumpur and I would like to see Borneo also.

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom