Goa/Netrani vs Lakshadweep India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saffikeagan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be in India the end of November, and I'm trying to decide between diving out of Goa/Netrani vs going down to Lakshadweep. Anyone here have some advice for me? I've read that the conditions in Lakshadweep are great, but that the diving industry down there might not be reliable or in operation/available to tourists????

Hi,

I'll be in India the end of November, and I'm trying to decide between diving out of Goa/Netrani vs going down to Lakshadweep. Anyone here have some advice for me? I've read that the conditions in Lakshadweep are great, but that the diving industry down there might not be reliable or in operation/available to tourists????

OT, but if there was ever a compelling reason to have a CO analyzer, this would be it.

Hi,

I've read that the conditions in Lakshadweep are great, but that the diving industry down there might not be reliable or in operation/available to tourists????
I am from that part of the world and know what I am talking about. The "diving industry" in India, if one such exists, is not only unreliable but a ripoff as far as Western tourists are concerned. There used to be an operation called Lacadives in Lakshadweep but I think they folded due to a variety of reasons. Bangaram has (if it is still operational) a dive resort where the only way to get in was an expensive 'package' that included head massages and such whether you liked it or not.

If you are in India in November, your time and money will be far better spent in hopping across to the Maldives (many direct flights) and diving there.

Hintermann... I REALLY REALLY REALLY did not need that bug in my ear! I've spend the past 5 hours researching the Maldives (and contemplating even more debt).

Hey

I have dived in Goa, in fact I did my PADI open water course there. From your research you must've found that visibility in Goan waters in limited but it has quite varied marine life. There are 3 major dive shops in Goa - Dive Goa, Goa Aquatics and Barracuda diving. All three have pretty experienced instructors and are well established. From my research and experience Dive Goa was the best dive shop there (they have technical diving too) and hence was my best option and they didn't disappoint. They also conduct diving in Netrani, Murudeshwar and Vengurla - nearby areas. However Netrani has been closed for diving this past half year because of issues with local fishermen and I do not see that opening anytime soon.

Lakshwadeep had Lacadives as the dive shop for many a year but they have ran into some sort of trouble with only local personnel being allowed to conduct the operations on the island. If you are considering Lakshwadeep though, go for Andaman Islands instead - it is easily accessible and is very highly rated amongst divers. Clear waters, amazing marine life and varied diving. There are some excellent dive shops - (Dive India, Andaman Bubbles and Barefoot Scuba) as well as a liveaboard there - Infiniti Liveaboard.

Also, a brief of where I'm coming from - I am an adventure buff and working on my startup (Alien Adventures ») in adventure travel. It's a marketplace for for adventure travel and active holidays from across the world and we try and personally vet these operators ourselves and select only the best ones based upon certain parameters on the site.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information about Netrani! That really help me decide where to go. Right now, I'm looking at the Adamans or the Maldives. Both seem to be in the same price range.

I am from that part of the world and know what I am talking about. The "diving industry" in India, if one such exists, is not only unreliable but a ripoff as far as Western tourists are concerned. There used to be an operation called Lacadives in Lakshadweep but I think they folded due to a variety of reasons. Bangaram has (if it is still operational) a dive resort where the only way to get in was an expensive 'package' that included head massages and such whether you liked it or not.

If you are in India in November, your time and money will be far better spent in hopping across to the Maldives (many direct flights) and diving there.

returned 2 months ago from the Maldives, Wonderful! dived with Meridis at Chaaya Resort, Dhonvelli, Male Atoll. also Thudufushi Resort, South Ari Atoll. Saw silver tipped reef sharks, morays, 2 mantas, and much more. Also on Ihuru Island, North Male Atoll. Worth going there.

Well, the diving in India has really matured right now. I have dived almost across all the spots arund the country. It is still growing and a lot of new places are opening up. Andamans is fantastic all year round, but it is costly as well as a pain to get there (foreigners get only a 30 day permit). Lakshadweep is also very difficult to get to (permits required). Netrani is currently closed. Word on whether the diving is going to start this season is still awaited. So please avoid from booking till a confirmation is given by a dive centre. Pondicherry is the most awesome place to dive now at the mainland. They dive 365 days a year, and offer the entire range from DSD to Tec diving options.

Details about various diving locations across India may be found at Scuba Diving - Pondicherry | Adventure Sports India

Back
Top Bottom