Considering divemaster internship next winter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's been over a year since I've last been in the ocean, but I'm dreaming of making the jump to get my rescue and divemaster training next winter, roughly between November - April. I'm already planning a trip out to SE Asia, and I think I'd like to make this a big part of my time there. Currently have my AOW and about 25 dives logged.

I've been doing a bit of research and have a few things roughly in mind, but I wonder if anyone has any input to add?

Considering Indonesia and Malaysia as potential spots to base myself out of... Perhaps:

-Pulau Weh, Indonesia- I hear the quality of diving is top-notch.
-Gili Trawangan, Indonesia- Lots of training opportunities.
-Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia- Culture, access to other activities.

Since I have a decent amount of time open, I'd like to spend at least a couple months in an internship experience, perhaps more. Does anyone out there have any experience with these places? Or perhaps could recommend something?

I'm also wondering what how visas might impact staying on in an internship...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I would consider Phuket in Thailand. It has the Similan Islands and richelieu rock which are considered in the top 10 divesites in the world. There the visa is easy as all you need is a 3 month tourist visa or 6 month if you plan on staying longer. This means you can get you rescue and D/M then go to many other places on the way back. Phuket is one of the cheaper places to get your licenses and will also get you some of the best training aswell. many top instructor work in Phukt as the diving is good and the climate perfect. many of the rescue divers on the Red Bull air race are based in Phuket which shows the standard of training there. Phuket Scuba Diving | Similan Islands | Thailand Divers The price for a nice place to stay is cheap for longer stays and the food is included on all boat trip too so you will spend very little in the evenings too when on the boats. Its really worth a look. Thailand Divers - Phuket. - Ban Patong, Phuket, Thailand - Scuba Diving | Facebook

Have a look at Bali too. Bali is a busy dive destination with many students coming through for you to assist with during your DM training. Also Bali has great diversity in its dive sites - wrecks, currents, macro, pelagics, shore dives and boat dives. This would give a great learning environment and make you a well-rounded Divemaster. It's also a stunning island to live on for a couple of months...

Hey ashley nomad :)

Must be kismet I read your post! :wink:
Because Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures' premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre is based at one of your listed destinations: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah!

I am a member of our Go PRO team who are responsible in conducting all professional-level diving courses with our resident Platinum PADI Course Director Richard Swann for the Instructor Development Course (IDC).

I would definitely agree for you to take an internship program for at least a couple of months, as you say, which will really prepare you with plenty of real diving experience to be confident when seeking immediate employment!
Go PRO internship programs for the PADI Divemaster is a minimum of 1 month, however our Go PRO advisors and counsellor understand that there needs to be some flexibility, and the bespoke itineraries we can create is one of the many benefits our interns receive.

I, myself, did not have many dives when I was about to start my Go PRO internship program at Downbelow (only Advanced Open Water Diver, with a handful of dives). However, like yourself, I wanted plenty of time to experience as much as I could of what I had been dreaming of committing to for so long: the Dive Lifestyle! So, Alice (who is one of our dedicated Go PRO advisors - and who will be your first correspondence with Downbelow), created a package of 3 months for me to qualify from PADI Rescue Diver to Master Scuba Diver Trainer.

I've continued to learn much more about the operations of a dive business ever since qualifying as a professional diver, and I believe the start of a dive career will shape the future. Professional dive experiences are as individual as our Go PRO interns – best you check out our social media and blogs! We regularly update what activities are happening throughout our operations, which consists of our Sabah Travel Centre (discounts on all travel and tour packages offered to Go PRO interns), Kota Kinabalu Dive Shop (discounts specially for Go PRO interns again! And value-for-money dive equipment for budget-conscious newly qualified professional diver), as well as our PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre located in the TAR marine park!

Hi Ashley Nomad!
Why not try the Philippines? We have a massive school of Sardines where most of our training dives are taken place, steep walls on all of our dive sites with loads of critters around for you to enjoy! We are also offering free diving during your stay here with us! Come and visit us in Moalboal, Cebu

We have fun dived and taken courses extensively in South East Asia since 2009 ...the weather will be driest in Thailand , but the diving is far far better in Indonesia, parts of Malaysia and the Philippines. Better diving attracts more experienced divers , so you will get longer in the water.

Personally I would go to the Gili Island , where you will get lots of experience in very busy dive shops. It will also be alot more fun for you than other areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom