Recommendations for a 2 week dive trip in South East Asia (going alone!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

careta

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to do a 2 week dive trip in Southeast Asia starting mid-August. My starting point will be Singapore.
I will be going alone, so something with a social (and/or party) scene would be good :) I would also like to travel to 2 or 3 different places, I don't want to stay 2 weeks in the same place. Diving wise, I'm looking for warm water (25C+) and big fish or big schools!

Where would you recommend me to go?

The best diving in SEA doesn't really have a party scene. But you can enjoy a few drinks with the other divers at the end of the day.
Check out Bali-Komodo-Lembeh-Sipadan-Phillipines
If you want a party go to Thailand good social scene but mediocre to so-so diving.

I have dived a lot in SE Asia and the keyword in your question is the time of the year - Mid-August. Based on that and other info provided, my suggestios are as follows.

1. Bali - Only a short flight to Denpasar airport. Great diving in Tulamben, Padangbai and the Nusa Isles. Height of Mola Mola season. Good weather land side and quite a bit of social life in nearby.

2. Komodo - Great diving and there are a few liveaboard options. August might be a bit windy though.

3. Sipadan - August is fine for diving. Can get close via KK or Tawau (latter better if there is a direct flight from Singapore. There is from KL)

4. Cenderawasih Bay - August is supposedly the best time to dive there but it is out of the way, expensive and no social life. But there are whale sharks to compensate and then some.

Diviing with social life in Asia would mean either Bali or Philippines.
Bali is easy to travel around, you can check Lembongan, Tulamben, Padang Bai and Amed.
Even though it's not the peak season in the Philippines, you an always find a place to dive in between some rainy episodes here and there. The coral and the macro ctriiter life is always excellent but apart from Malapascua, Philippines is not really is big stuff place.
Try Malpascua, Bohol/Panglao and Moalboal, easy to do within two weeks.

I'm not getting the obvious here - Thailand and Vietnam. Phuket in Thailand is SCUBA central for SEA. Vietnam (Con Dao) is an up and coming place to dive and was just previewed on CNN Go!

I'm not getting the obvious here - Thailand and Vietnam. Phuket in Thailand is SCUBA central for SEA. Vietnam (Con Dao) is an up and coming place to dive and was just previewed on CNN Go!
Remote Con Dao might not really be the social place OP is asking for.Phuket diving is limited in august and not really a place for big fish and fish schools.Don't always trust CNN...

Island hopping in the Philippines: Check out - Malapascua: Thresher sharks / ALona Beach: daytrips to Balicasag Island / Cabilao: Great wall and Macro diving, relaxing atmosphere / Dauin: Apo Island Coral gardens, world class muck diving, and whalesharks in oslob. All can be done with sea explorers who have dive centers in all these destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom