Best destination for a 3 or 4 day diving trip for someone based in New Delhi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm based here in New Delhi, and I'm looking for somewhere to do a 3 or 4 day diving trip. Sadly, India doesn't seem to have much diving - the Andamans seems to be the only real diving destination, and that's a bit of a trek to get to (and I've been there once already). Thailand and/or the Maldives seem like the obvious choices, but since I can't stay for long, I think a Liveaboard is out. Given that, where should I be looking? I don't need fancy resorts - just somewhere clean and comfortable. I would like to get in more than 2 tanks a day, since my whole point of being there is diving. I'm used to diving in the FL Keys where you can easily do 4 tanks a day, though I know that's not possible everywhere. Suggestions? My dates are flexible...

Thanks!

Go west young man ... as the saying goes.

Best bet Oman, dive the Damaniyats with Oman Sea and Dive

or if you are really desperate and don't mind 5M visibility then UAE east coast is an option with either Divers Down or The Dive Centre, with accommodation at the Miramar Hotel or Sandy Beach Hotel.

Have you considered Lakshadweep? I have heard that the diving per se is very good there from those who have been but it used to have a few dodgy and ridiculously expensive dive operators.

Hi,

I am myself based out of Delhi. I travel every other month right now to Pondicherry, as they are the only ones diving off the mainland right now. The flights to Andamans are too expensive for me at a short notice (Sri Lanka is cheaper, where I am heading to next week to dive the Hermes). Also, we did try and explore a lake around Delhi as well. So there are plenty options available to you :)

I was discussing HMS Hermes yesterday with one guy who has done several dives on this wreck, certainly on my "to do" list as Sri Lanka is only a 4 hour flight away.

I would be interested in knowing more about the logistics of local dive centres etc and how to travel between Colombo and the east coast.

Maldives is the closes for excellent pelagic action and good reefs. Sri Lanka has some great wrecks and easy to get to. Colombo has very good wreck diving and direct flights from most major Indian cities including Delhi. Dive season is November to April. April to October you can dive on the east coast but need to factor in a longish drive (about 7hrs from Colombo airport).

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

I was discussing HMS Hermes yesterday with one guy who has done several dives on this wreck, certainly on my "to do" list as Sri Lanka is only a 4 hour flight away.

I would be interested in knowing more about the logistics of local dive centres etc and how to travel between Colombo and the east coast.

Have done the Hermes several times. Three other WWII wrecks on the east coast as well but located north and south of Batticaloa which is the set off point for the Hermes. Currently only Sri Lanka Diving Tours offer tec diving facilities. You can talk to them regarding current logistics but they usually can organise trimix fills given advance notice. Dive season on the east is April to October but recommend April to June for best conditions. July and August can be very windy. There are also some good wrecks on the west coast, especially off Colombo.

Back
Top Bottom