Tioman is Dying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can't believe "Singapore Divers" can have 180+ reply and Tioman destruction only has 2 !!!! Make no sense.......

Tioman is one of the best dive destination I have visited. In spite of the high number of visitors, I was suprised to see the reef were so healthy. It's really sad to see the unnecessary waste of money and useless development on the island that will destory the environment.

Ah, the benefits of "progress." I am fortunate to live on an island which is 88% protected from development. This ensures that there will be good dive sites here for decades to come.

While I understand the perceived need for economic development in other countries, I think back to a "truism" I have noticed while traveling many developing countries. I often find that residents in the urban and developed areas of these countries appear rushed and unhappy with their lives. Those in the undeveloped rural areas have smiles on their faces.

I think the reason is the rural population has a sense of security the urban population doesn't. Often these people live within stable villages which provide social support. They live off the sea or terrestrial resources that are often easily harvested. They don't need to worry about earning enough money to exchange for foods that are not fresh or even healthy at times. Of course this applies to my own country as well. So much for the benefits of development and "progress."

Dr. Bill

drbill:
While I understand the perceived need for economic development in other countries, I think back to a "truism" I have noticed while traveling many developing countries. I often find that residents in the urban and developed areas of these countries appear rushed and unhappy with their lives. Those in the undeveloped rural areas have smiles on their faces.
Dr. Bill

dang. i forgot why i go back to grandma's village. thanks for the timely note. though there are less of the 5-star conveniences, i didn't mind then and i don't think i'd mind horribly now since the tradeoff is peace of mind, and green grass or sand under my feet.

i think in the case of some of our islands, there is a genuine confusion of purpose - tourism dollars via quick-hit, weekend shoppers looking for megamalls, ecology afficionados who spread the news by word of mouth and stay weeks at a time, another golden kitty for the retiring <insert job description or title> or maybe just big city folks trying to do the right thing for the so called less sohpisticated country folks from their cube far, far away in the capital cities.

my dream is to buy myself an island fringed with patches of corals, and maybe a small hill. but i don't make enough money. so in the meantime, i rent pieces of my dream whenever i take the odd week off. i hope i can still dream of tioman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom