Water temperatures around Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'llbeheading out on the MM2 on feb 18 and was wondering what the temps were around Hin Duang and Hin Muang in the south and the Similans up north. I am packing my full 3mil and was wondering if I should pack an extra 3 mil shorty to put over it if need be. Also, any good seafood restaurant recommendations in Patong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nikyyo:
I'llbeheading out on the MM2 on feb 18 and was wondering what the temps were around Hin Duang and Hin Muang in the south and the Similans up north. I am packing my full 3mil and was wondering if I should pack an extra 3 mil shorty to put over it if need be. Also, any good seafood restaurant recommendations in Patong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

water temp ranges around 27 degrees in real terms, can't help with farenheit. The dive operators offer 3mm shorties which are in reality about 2mm. As an instructor there I wore a 6.5 semi dry, but i get cold easy. The temp doesn't change at depth. Similans and Hindaeng are the same temp wise. some hints however, if poss, hit Hin deang and Muang, get OFF the reef, Manta city, i have seen doube figures there, even better than Koh Bon in the similans. excellent chance on the reef, but off it can be loads. Leopard sharks are normally around somewhere, most people miss them cause they're looking for Mantas and whale sharks (april may for them). a bull shark is claimed to been seen once or twice a year, but in reality its a grey reef coming up from depth. this is also one of the only times any reef sharks are seen, they tend to be around 50/60meters deep.

Deang and Muang are THE best dives in Thailand, even better than the similans which are magnicant AND are in fine nick after the tsunami.

have fun.

I dive Thailand year round in 0.5 mm or a 1 mm (depends which is dry before the dive) and a rash guard. Apart from the odd thermocline I never been cold in the water here.

Lobodelmar is correct with his description, but a bit low on the temperature of some of the sites. At the moment the average temp. at sites like Shark Point, King Cruiser, Phi Phi etc. is 29-30 Centigrade, (84 Fahrenheit).
Similans and Hin Daeng tend to be a bit colder, 27-28 Centigrade overthere (correct Lobodelmar)

2 days ago: whaleshark at Richelieu Rock!

whitehead:
I dive Thailand year round in 0.5 mm or a 1 mmQUOTE]

Tough guy, eh? :sprite10:

I came over here from Honduras in 1999, where I only had a 1.5mm suit, but soon decided to buy a 3mm suit. If you're working here and dive every day, you get used to the warmth. Quite a few instructors here have 5mm suits and I know some who like to wear a hood - and this is diving at 28 - 30 degrees C! If you're just doing a few days, and especially if you're used to something colder, a shorty is fine.

Personally, being office bound most of the time, if I go diving now, maybe I'll just put on a baggy tshirt and the water will feel soooo good. :)

Take Note of this : If you are coming for a liveaboard and KNOW that you tend to get cold, be aware that most dive shops do NOT have long suits for rent. Be prepared! There are several good shops in Phuket where you can pick up a wetsuit at a good price, and a couple of places to get them custom made (Hotwave for example).

Of one thing I am sure...we do not offer the PADI ice diver specialty course here!

Happy Diving...

Sunrise:
whitehead:
I dive Thailand year round in 0.5 mm or a 1 mmQUOTE]

Tough guy, eh? :sprite10:

When I first came back to Thailand a couple of years ago, I used to think that the water was nice and warm (well, after suffering many winters in Chicago anyhow) and only dove in shorties. That changed very quickly to full length 3 mm wetsuit, then I add a little thermalwear underneath. Nowaday I use Camaro 3mm semi dry with hood and when I feel a bit nippy then another layer of thermalwear is added.

Whitehead does not need thick wetsuit as he kept himself warm with booze all night long before day dive :eyebrow:

whitehead:
I wish to place on record that I am a vegetarian, tee totaller, with a full head of deep luxurious black hair that keeps my head warm, and with a young supple body and less than 1 mm of body fat.

Er, are you sure you are on the right message board? I think you should be posting on single divers.com. 555 :wink:

whitehead:
I wish to place on record that I am a vegetarian, tee totaller, with a full head of deep luxurious black hair that keeps my head warm, and with a young supple body and less than 1 mm of body fat.

WhiteHead speak with fork tounge.

whitehead:

Wow.... I'd love to see some images of this fabulous guy... :eyebrow:

Gaby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom