Maldives at April ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alto

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning to a week of live aboard at the Maldives in one month.
Is April a good time there?
Any recommendations (good or bad) on the 'Handhufalhi' boat?

Tn'x, Arnon

Arnon,

The Maldives can be a tricky place to get spot on....but a liveaboard is a good start. I have a friend who went in May and the weather was a bit inconsistent. Quite a bit of rain and quite windy. They were in the South Ari. That said they managed to see 3 whale sharks in a week.

I've been later in the year and personally I think the weather is fairly consistently good and if it does rain it is normally short and very very hard!

Here is some information on the Maldives generally about the monsoon seasons. But on a liveaboard this is less of an issue.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Maldives%20feature.htm

We also have a report from one of the liveaboards from January if you are interested here:

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Reports/MaldivesPostTsunamiReportYvonneBlume.htm

Hope it helps.

I agree with mark, April/May can be tricky for weather although you would have to be very unlucky to have it spoil an entire week.

Liveaboard is a good choice because most of the sites have a season e.g. there are Manta cleaning stations on both west and east sides of the atolls each are usually in season for 6 months so with a liveaboard you will no doubt visit the places that are good for the time of year you are travelling without having to make a decision to choose the correct island.

South Ari would be a good place to visit at that time because as mark says whale sharks are around. Although they can be seen all year round in the south east islands of the atoll, May is a particularly good time. If the liveaboard here's that they have been see they may well schedule a day for you down there looking for them. In May 02 I went land based in White Sands Ari Atoll and saw 14 in 2 weeks. In 03 and 04 I went mid June and still saw 3 or 4.

Of course you are going off season and that certainly should help you wallet, it's something to consider.

Neil

I spent a week in the Maldives in September 02, which was supposed to be a wetter season. Besides the rain when we arrived, we had a perfect weather for the rest of the stay. So it's more like hit or miss, I believe. Anyway, Maldives are one of the most beautiful places, I have been to and the diving is awesome, so I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

alto:
My wife and I are planning to a week of live aboard at the Maldives in one month.
Is April a good time there?
Any recommendations (good or bad) on the 'Handhufalhi' boat?

Tn'x, Arnon

Handhufalhi is a nice and comfortable boat - it is about one year old. All cabins are ensuite and roomy.

Back
Top Bottom