Layang Layang in Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikki T

Reaction score
Has anyone dived Layang Layang in October ? I was told by a friend that October is a good time to dive in LL but not from what I have read...would like to hear your experiences

welcome to the board, check out the regional threads.

I would have said it would be fairly okay at this time.

Diving in this region however can be affected by the monsoon months between November to January. It is therefore recommended not to dive during this period. As far as October goes I think it should be okay.

See http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Sabah%20feature.htm.

Hi Nikki,

I have dived Layang Layang . Great Dives ! Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

November thru to March is not good. In fact I believe the resort is close for part if not all during this period becos of the monsoon. October can be fantastic as the sea can be very calm and flat. End October can be dicey if the monsoon starts blowing early.

The resort is 1st class. Good long boats, great food and very good accomodation.

I would hesitate to recommend this for new divers as the dive are deep - Wall dives and i believe bottom is in excess of 2000 feet !!! Depending on weather , the sea can be choppy.( I surfaced on one dive and found the waves to be 2to 2.5 metres !)

For advanced divers,Layang2 is really great. Good chance of spotting the big ones mantas, schools of hammerheads. Lots to see.

Probably the only resort in the world with an exclusive runway for planes , and where you can sit down with your buddy in the middle of the runway and have a coke and exchange fish stories !!!!

Email me if you need more info

Nikki T:
Has anyone dived Layang Layang in October ? I was told by a friend that October is a good time to dive in LL but not from what I have read...would like to hear your experiences

Nikki,

2 years ago I wanted to go there in OCT. When I contacted the resort by email they told me they were closing at the end of SEP (their webpage still said closing the end of OCT) because of an expected early monsoon season.

Recommend you contact them before planning on OCT diving there.

Rickg

rickg:
Nikki,

2 years ago I wanted to go there in OCT. When I contacted the resort by email they told me they were closing at the end of SEP (their webpage still said closing the end of OCT) because of an expected early monsoon season.

Recommend you contact them before planning on OCT diving there.

Rickg

Hi Nikki,

Not too sure exactly when the resort's closing, but the monsoon in this region does affect the diving season (which normally runs from Apr-Oct).

In case you need to email Layang Layang Island Resort (the only one on the island), the address is layang@pop.jaring.my. You may also wish to check out their website at www.layanglayang.com.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your feedback. I will not consider Layang Layang in Oct then. Looks like a potentially unfruitful trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom