Best dive site and/or operator in Gibraltar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
...for impressive, intreresting, and shallow wrecks?

My dive buddy for this trip has done about ten dives. Anything roughly in the 20m region is of interest. It would be lovely if you could recommend me some wrecks and/or dive operators. I've read that there is a 330ft long steamship there. It's at 21m (bottom?) Is it as good as it sounds? Other interesting wrecks?

Going there in a week or two

Thanks

I'd recommend Dive Charters - Shane and Vinny know the local waters very well and are great to dive with. The vis is generally quite good, around 10-20m but the water can be colder than you would perhaps think for somewhere in the southern Med. There are a variety of wrecks, some accessible from shore, some from the boat, but Gib is a small place so it's never more than a 10-15 min ride to each site either way. Depths vary but there isn't much deeper than 25m and most are shallower. The guys there will take you to the best sites on the day as sometimes the currents can make certain wrecks not much fun to dive at times. The wrecks are not very big (apart from the 482, which is also great for a night dive if you can!) but are interesting and open.

(As an aside, unless you are staying along the coast and have no way of getting to Gib otherwise, I would avoid using an operator from Spain - some of them are very good but for all of them you have to drive through the border which can be somewhat... trying... at best)

If you have the time / are not solely in Gib, head over to Tarifa, about 45 mins west along the coast for some great diving as well. Buceo Yellow Sub (www.divingtarifa.com) in the marina are brilliant and will show you the area, both wrecks and reef diving.

-Mark

I personally would also recommend taking the drive to Tarifa. I normally dive there 3-4 times a month, visibility is always great, dives are generally not that deep, lately the water has been roughly 17-20*C.

Thanks for the replies. Used Divecharters. Nice people, nice boat, warm water... We dived SS Marilyn, a very degraded wreck with a fun little swim through (and possibly more). Couldn't dive some other wrecks with this group of divers due to strong currents.

No time to dive in Tarifa :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom