My first rig and mail order gear experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khemicals

Reaction score
So....

My fiancee and I decided to get scuba gear for each other for wedding presents. We did some research together and ended up getting the following rig (each are identical aside from size):

Zeagle ZX Flathead VI
Zeagle Brigade BCD
Tusa Duo-air IR3
Dacor Darwin computer w/SPG

We got the gear at Scubatoys, the props on the board helped make that easy. The customer service apparent from Zeagle on this board also helped push that decision through. She wanted a reg that was a really easy breather, bugged by how bad the rental regs were, so we went with what should be a really good one along with a BCD to match. After all, these are the pieces of equipment that make you comfortable, and that equates to safety. I'll add more details here on how I like them later, if its anything out of the ordinary. The octo was chosed as we wanted a lifetime warranty and it built onto the inflator hose. Maybe it won't breathe as well, but I haven't heard any horror stories on it having issues in the water we dive, so, seemed like a logical choice at a good price point.

Larry mentioned that we were going with the cadillac of regulators and the ford of computers; not that its horrible or non-funcitonal, but they just didn't match. He recommended we go with a cheaper reg, we decided not to and that the price would be worth it no matter how minor the difference. She wants an easy breather, so no reason to compromise where it matters. A guage that functions and meets our needs should be fine. Larry understood, and seemed to be doing a good job of keeping the normal needs of divers buying their first set of gear along with ensuring it was quality. Kudos there.

Then, we come to the computer. Larry recommended we go with something other than the Dacor Darwin. It seemed to get reasonable reviews, Scuba Diving magazine rated it a tester's choice, figured it was just user preference; Larry even mentioned that likely was the case as he dives with a different computer. So, for price reasons we decided to go with what would work, stuck with the Dacor Darwin.

Here's my take thus far:
1. The buttons on it take a massive amount of force to press. You can do it with one finger, but the tip of your finger is very sore when you are done configuring it.

2. The battery door is tricky to properly put on. Apparently whoever put the gear together at scubatoys had the same issue, it just wouldn't quite properly seat. So, I figured out the trick, use 2 fingers on one hand to provide firm and even downward pressure on the door while you use a nickel in your other hand to turn the door shut. This allows it to sit properly. I noted over at scubatoys to Joe that I thought they should be aware of this, he claims the technician was trying to keep the unit off during transit, I don't buy it, it would have functioned just fine in the air with the door in that position; batteries would have been providing power, etc. I really think they need to ensure that door is properly closed when they send these things out. Sure, you should do this yourself with any gear (new, or your good ol'gear); but some likely won't and a wet battery compartment could suck. Though, Dacor did at least separate this compartment from that of the rest of the internals, so even if it flooded it wouldn't fry the unit, that's certainly a good thing.

3. The manual isn't 100% accurate with what button sequences to press during configuration. As we haven't actually dove with it yet, we aren't sure how well it functions otherwise. But, we both read the manual independently, came up with the same steps to configure the computer, and yet they didn't work on either computer. So, to save those out there some effort, heres some modified usage instructions that should be a bit short and sweet:

Follow the manual for how to get into the setup modes, and read the instructions therein, they do seem accurate with regards to ordering and whats contained, and how to switch from one set mode to another, but not with how to actually configure a setting in one of the modes.

So, for example, when you are in the set1 mode with the 'nitrox air gauge' text showing, to select which one of those modes you are in, hit the mode button (the left button with the circle imprint) and hold onto it for ~ 2 seconds. Then the 'nitrox air gauge' list will be changed to just display 'air' or whatever the current setting was. From there on, the selector button '<->' can be used to toggle between air, nitrox and gauge modes based on what's displayed. Then, hit the mode button to go to the set2 mode and then start at the beginning of this paragraph to follow the same basic process. Use the selector button to toggle between the available options, use the mode button to select the option and move onto the next selection available. It's not tough, but it certainly isn't documented like this in the manual.

After I called ScubaToys to get some clarification on usage, apparenlty Larry is the only one who knows how to use the Darwin, and he was out. So we fudged around and figured out how to make it work. Brian offered to take them back and get us something better, but I think I want to dive with them once and see how they go first. Hopefully they'll stand by their offer after they have hit the quarry for a weekend.

I also noted a discrepency on the temperature listed on each of the dive computers. While they were within 4 degrees F of one another, this seemed a bit large of a difference for me. So, I filled my bath tub up with water, let it sit for a minute while i sloshed it around to try to get the temperature fairly consistent and let them sit in it for a bit. They were both eventually within 2 degrees of one another. So, I grabbed my digital kitchen thermometer and tossed it into the water. It split the difference (one was 1.2 degrees off, the other was .8 degrees off). So, it would seem something in their design is allowing them to read differently in the same conditions, not something particularly concerning when we're talking about temp, but am wondering if the depth will also not be consistent, but that'll be easy enough to check in the quarry.

So, we're off the blue springs this weekend in Waldron, IN. Hopefully, this will vindicate these selections as we'd rather not have to send some of it back for better gear. But I guess that's how it goes with mail order.

--David

khemicals:
..... Larry recommended we go with something other than the Dacor Darwin. It seemed to get reasonable reviews, Scuba Diving magazine rated it a tester's choice, figured it was just user preference;...

...Hopefully, this will vindicate these selections as we'd rather not have to send some of it back for better gear. But I guess that's how it goes with mail order.
No, thats how it goes when you ignore someone who has established reasonable credibility on a board the size of ScubaBoard, and purchase an item of gear after that individual specifically recommends against it.

Mail order has nothing to do with it. Had you gone against the recommendations of an equally credible supplier in a store, you'd be taking it back to the store instead of mailing it back to Larry.

One potential lesson-learned might be that if you're going to deal with someone you fundamentally trust (as opposed to someone of unknown integrity), and they specifically recommend against a particular item of gear, it might be prudent to not purchase that item of gear. At the least you might ask what they would recommend as an alternative and why.

Best of luck with the Dacor Darwin. The rest of your gear looks fine. Have fun with the stuff, it will quite likely work well for you.

David,

If I were you, I would send it back to Larry and get the replacement that he recommended. I know, LDS and business guys used to recommend the item that they want to get rid of, are in inventory, or high margins. But, Larry doesn't do the business in that way. Why did you buy the stuff from Larry @ TX in OH? You trust him, don't you? If then, re-consider his recommendation and take it. If something is wrong, then you can blame Larry. He will be (full warranty service) behind his recommendation all the times. If he won't do it, post your story here. :wink:

I hope to see you at BS this weekend.

Doc Intrepid:
No, thats how it goes when you ignore someone who has established reasonable credibility on a board the size of ScubaBoard, and purchase an item of gear after that individual specifically recommends against it.

Mail order has nothing to do with it. Had you gone against the recommendations of an equally credible supplier in a store, you'd be taking it back to the store instead of mailing it back to Larry.

One potential lesson-learned might be that if you're going to deal with someone you fundamentally trust (as opposed to someone of unknown integrity), and they specifically recommend against a particular item of gear, it might be prudent to not purchase that item of gear. At the least you might ask what they would recommend as an alternative and why.

Best of luck with the Dacor Darwin. The rest of your gear looks fine. Have fun with the stuff, it will quite likely work well for you.

Except, that I wasn't meaning I didn't trust Larry. The reasons Larry mentioned not liking it are not the reasons that I am finding I don't like it. The reasons he mentioned were general interface issues, and those can be overcome with use and through familiarity with the unit which will come with time. The issues I am having with it are general useability.

For example, I couldn't actually press on the dive computer buttons before I ordered it online/over the phone. Had I been able to, I would have learned they are not so user-friendly That's my biggest issue with the unit. The manual deficiencies I worked around (after all, so long as I can make it function, and figure that part out, that's what matters).

Larry did do a good job, and I was happy with it. I wish he noted how hard the buttons are to press; but I'm not upset or anything regarding it. Hey, he doesn't use it daily, how was he to know.

I don't know about returning the computer after you've dove with it, I wouldn't assume or hope - check. Given the way your experience with the computer is going and all the comments, seems there is a high probability of swapping them so why not just do it before you've used it?

hoosier:
David,

If I were you, I would send it back to Larry and get the replacement that he recommended. I know, LDS and business guys used to recommend the item that they want to get rid of, are in inventory, or high margins. But, Larry doesn't do the business in that way.

I may do that yet...

hoosier:
Why did you buy the stuff from Larry @ TX in OH? You trust him, don't you? If then, re-consider his recommendation and take it. If something is wrong, then you can blame Larry. He will be (full warranty service) behind his recommendation all the times. If he won't do it, post your story here. :wink:

I hope to see you at BS this weekend.

Got the stuff from Larry based on the great feedback here, and the level of support he provides as I have seen on this board, and of course the great competitive price with a warranty. I did try to buy locally, but nobody locally understands the existence of a global market. None the less, no economics discussion is needed here I am sure :). As of yet, I have had a practically flawless interaction with Scubatoys, so this isn't to dog on him.

Further, if anyone has any recommendations of competitive local dive stores in Cincinnati or the surrounding area, feel free to chime up, this may give them some needed business by me and others in the future. Sure, I buy some stuff locally, but for this large of a purchase the greenback had to have a say. Nobody seemed to want to compete locally, said here's the price, take it or leave it.

You might give Larry a call and see if you can swap it out for the Genesis console, it's only about $40 difference. I second the idea of calling before you use it. Most people don't want to take a used computer back, and rightly so. When it's showing dives already in the log, you can't sell it as a new one, and if it's not defective, the manufacturer doesn't want it back. What you're basically doing then is asking the retailer to eat it, or sell it as used, and that's not quite fair. If you're not happy with it now, it's probably not gonna get any better. I'd check out the Genesis, and try to swap it out now.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ReactPro

Back
Top Bottom