Question about an AKONA backpack bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boondocks

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of the large backpack roller bags that AKONA makes. I did a search and it looks like a lot of people have it and like it. What I want to know is whether you only travel with it or do you actually take it to the boat with you. If so, how does it hold up on the boat ( i.e. saltwater spray etc.) Does it mark up the boat at all? Thanks and I appreciate any feedback!

We have one of the large Akona roller backpacks, though with the size of the thing, I can't imagine actually ever putting it on my back!! We use ours exclusively for airplane travel. It is too big and impractical to actually take it down to the boat, instead using a couple of mesh bags (one for each of us). The mesh bags roll up to a tiny ball and are much more convenient in the small spaces of a boat.

do yourself a favor and don't bring it on a boat.
the last time i saw someone on a boat with one i came close to tossing it overboard.
space is a premium on most boats and you'd be pretty rude with one of those.

Roller bags kinda suck on boats. Good for airline travel, but do yourself a favor and get a mesh bag (I have the Akona Mesh Backpack) for the boat. Some boats won't even let you board if you have a big/non-compacting bag.

Agree with all of the above. We also have the Akona roller bag & there is no way we would drag that thing onto a boat, there's just no room and it would be inconvenient even if there was room- we bring our individual mesh bags for boat use. By the way, my husband did use it as a backback once full of dive gear for 2 on a rocky hike, he said it worked pretty well... I think he's delusional.

I agree with all the above posts, roller bags are great but tough to store on a boat. We have the Akona mesh backpack (non-roller) for bringing on the boat, which is large enough to hold all your gear but scrunches up under the seat when empty. For travel we use the roller backpack bag described in this thread, which is great! So if you buy the roller backpack, get a mesh backpack too and use both.

I have not just the big roller akona but the next size down without rollers. Man will they store a ton of stuff. I can get both mine and the wifes gear in either one, and they both make pretty good backpacks if you so desire.

I took mine on the first boat dive I made, almost threw it overmyself. Kept triping over my own bag (not to mention the rubbermaid tub that another had on board, and his 3 kids). Boat dive #2 had me with my mesh bag of gear hanging over my shoulder and a smile on my face.

I also have a oceanic excursion wheeled bag that I used to be quite fond of. That is till a unnamed airline (AA) used it for skid, bounce, toss and pound pratice and destroyed it.

gfisher4792:
Roller bags kinda suck on boats. Good for airline travel, but do yourself a favor and get a mesh bag (I have the Akona Mesh Backpack) for the boat. Some boats won't even let you board if you have a big/non-compacting bag.
Agree 100%. I have the Trident version of the same thing, like most of them when dry you can fold it inside the zippered pocket for storage. Takes no space in your gear, and it keeps your stuff together on the boat as well as to/from the dock.

I have the akona roller bag and have yet to be on a boat it doesn't fit on! I can always slide it under the benches and I take up less room then those who bring rubbermaid containers! Me: 1 bag, most others:3-4 bags/boxes EACH.

Check out the XSScuba rollers. They have a combo mesh/roller that takes up almost as little room as a regular mesh, but still has the ease of a roller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom