compass navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtslottke

Reaction score
So, after much discussion and consideration of others experience related here, I decided on a ss bp for my everday rig needs. Does anyone know what effect this will have on trying to swim a straight line using a compass? :06:

--Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.

dtslottke:
So, after much discussion and consideration of others experience related here, I decided on a ss bp for my everday rig needs. Does anyone know what effect this will have on trying to swim a straight line using a compass? :06:

I just like the quote, happen to know you its from?

Stainless steel is not magnetic. Same with your stainless steel "D" rings and buckle.

dtslottke:
...I decided on a ss bp for my everday rig needs. Does anyone know what effect this will have on trying to swim a straight line using a compass? .
Yes. The SS BP will improve your "trying to swim in a straight line using a compass".

You'll see what I mean.

Just like the above mention no it won't effect swimming in a straight line. But now at least I know what excuse to use in the future whenever I miss a target using a compass. :wink:

The Kraken:
Stainless steel is not magnetic. Same with your stainless steel "D" rings and buckle.

Geekly speaking, that statement is not quite correct. There are, broadly, two classes of stainless steels (Austenitic & Martensitic, or 300 & 400 series). The 400's are definitely ferromagnetic. The 300's are weakly ferromagnetic. (e.g. if you put a magnet up against a 400 stainless steel, it will stick. You can measure some attraction to a 300, but it won't stick).

Fortunately, 400's are generally more expensive than 300's, and are less corrosion-resistant. For run-of-the-mill applications, especially for D-rings, manufacturers will want to use a 300-type stainless, which won't corrode as readily as a 400.

Finally, stainless steel will eventually corrode in saltwater (regardless of the alloy type), so be sure to give your hardware a good rinse.

ScubaMarine:
I just like the quote, happen to know you its from?

I looked and looked to find you an answer to no avail. It seems to have an unknown origin but was mostly found on bumper stickers...like most good wisdom.

Good try! But, your compass will not be that much senstive as you concerned.

dtslottke:

hdtran,
You're absolutely 100% correct, but in 99.99% of diving applications a 300 series stainless is used, so that's why I posted that stainless is not magnetic.

But technically, I was wrong . . . I will go and sin no more :sorry19z:

the K

Back
Top Bottom