C5 Corvette as a dive rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of selling my Suburban and getting a C5 Corvette (1997-1999ish). Is there any way to load one set of gear in the back of this rig? This would include the usual cold water dive gear along with two PST E8-130 tanks.

I'm not at all familiar with this car as far as how you gain access to the rear storage area. I suspect getting the tanks loaded might be tough.

Any thoughts?

bertschb:
I'm thinking of selling my Suburban and getting a C5 Corvette (1997-1999ish). Is there any way to load one set of gear in the back of this rig? This would include the usual cold water dive gear along with two PST E8-130 tanks.

I'm not at all familiar with this car as far as how you gain access to the rear storage area. I suspect getting the tanks loaded might be tough.

Any thoughts?
my only experience with a vette was a chevette. :D

you can always go with the same way i plan to get my 130's on my softail, a trailer.

one of my dive buddies ripped out the passenger seat of his sports car.
maybe you could rig a quick release for the seat. then take it out like a mini-van.

a roof rack probably wouldn't work out too well.

good luck.

Since you mentioned a trailer...

I have a 16' Zodiac RIB. The whole thing (with trailer) probably weighs 1,500lbs. Can you tow with a Corvette? In other words, is there actually a frame that I could mount a hitch to? I put a hitch on my wife's Honda for a bike rack but the mounting on that car was REALLY thin sheet metal. It's only good for a bike rack. If the Corvette actually has a nice steel frame I would think I could tow a light boat/trailer.

Make you a deal. Buy the Vette and if it doesn't work out then I will take it off your hands :D

bertschb:

Any thoughts?
I own a 1992 C4 vette, convertable, getting the tank and gear in it isn't a problem unless you are taking a overnight trip and need more space for luggage or taking someone with you that needs the closet and the sink. I would suggest a convertable a hard top or removeable top would not work for diving. Good luck and let me know when you get it!!
Vetts,Motorcycles,Boats, SCUBA life doesn't get any better!!!!

Teresa38:
Vetts,Motorcycles,Boats, SCUBA life doesn't get any better!!!!
I’m hurt that you left out airplanes to haul diving buddies around in.

Driving a vette is a good way to weed out potential dive buddies that don’t know how to pack light, or you can just get a custom vette trailer.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.183.5596

I am sure my friend's 99 Corvette trunk is a bigger than a Bimmer 3 series.... So, there will be no problem with your rig..

bertschb:

Any thoughts?

bertschb:
I'm not at all familiar with this car as far as how you gain access to the rear storage area. I suspect getting the tanks loaded might be tough. Any thoughts?

There is more room than you'd think in the "trunk"/rear storage, as long as you leave any removable top at home. The trunk pops up, and it's easy to load. Some long, thin items (a 2"x4"x8', for ex) actually can fit into the passenger seat footwell.

And you'll be able to get to the dive site really, really fast.

The Vette is not particularly comfortable for bigger folks. And you'll go into shock over the roadview (or lack thereof) after driving your Suburban; my bride has a Navigator, and she refuses to ride in the Vette because it sits low and she can't see anything.

Hey, thanks for all the information. It sounds like the "trunk" will be big enough for my gear. And, it looks like you can put a hitch on it. Now I just need to see if the hitch would be rated for around 1,500-2,000lbs so I can tow the Zodiac. It will look rediculous but I don't care. My Suburban (454ci engine) gets 11mpg on the road and handles terribly. The Corvette should get at least 25mpg. Plus, I'll have way more fun getting to the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom