Securing your Regulator.. Whats the best way..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVacc

Registered
Reaction score
The reason i ask is because i have a couple of those rubbery circle things you stick your second stages into. They are great top side, keep everything in place, but when my octo free flows, and it is stationed in the holder, it is a pain in the neck to take out, turn upside down and then replace it.. There has to be a better way..

:jump013:

Methods vary. Some use a snap clip attached to the hose near the 2nd stage to clip it to a D ring on their right shoulder.

I keep my octo on a bungee necklace. In an OOA situation I will hand off my primary and use my octo myself.

Is that the DIR way to do it?

I don't say this meaning to start another long hose/bungeed backup war, but...

A long hose and bungeed backup solves this problem. Your backup reg is attached to your neck on a very short hose with a piece of shock cord or surgical tubing and the long hose wraps up very nice and clean around you. When there is an OOA, you donate the reg in your mouth. It's clean, effective, and solves that whole dangly problem.

MVacc:
The reason i ask is because i have a couple of those rubbery circle things you stick your second stages into. They are great top side, keep everything in place, but when my octo free flows, and it is stationed in the holder, it is a pain in the neck to take out, turn upside down and then replace it.. There has to be a better way..

:jump013:

i assume you mean your octo?

get a snorkel keeper, secure it to a d ring and put the mouthpiece of your octo though the hole, it'll hold it, and it's pretty elastic, so you can turn it over withouth taking it out..

MVacc:
Is that the DIR way to do it?

Not exactly. It is the way I have chosen. The people I dive with know this, and I replaced the hose to my primary with a yum-yum yellow octopus hoe, a bit longer than the std hose. The thinking here is that a new diver unfamiliar with my gear should go for the yellow octo hose, in case he grabs without asking first. Which is not uncommon in an OOA emergency.

DIR does call for handing off your primary.

You dont have to use the long hose to bungee your "octo" around your neck.

Back
Top Bottom