coldwater fin choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sherbetchris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, i am very new to diving (just back from the carribean where i did 2 open water dives after a 10 minute lesson in the pool, now im intrigued by the underwater world) my question is this, is there a specific fin type for diving coldwater? i mean that i prefer to use a full foot fin rather than a strapped fin, and considering i live in Rhode island, the water as you know isnt exactly warm!! so can i use a full foot fin for this purpose? i feel really stupid asking this sorry!!

I have a strapped-in fin with boots. The fin is a split fin which allows me to propel easier without straining my leg muscles and reduces chance of cramping. I think the brand is a Trek fin...

If you can swim in the waters around Rhode Island without getting chilled, you could probable get away with full-foot fins. Most people need some insulation on their feet (I do, even in warm water), and therefore use open-heel fins that are intended to be used with booties.

In addition to the full vs open issue, there's the split vs paddle, and the jet fins vs everything else issues. Enough threads in this category to keep you busy for quite a while.

sherbetchris:
so its ok to wear boots with full foot fins???

Normally full foot fins are meant to be worn barfoot. The heel-strapped fins are meant to have boots.

sherbetchris:
so its ok to wear boots with full foot fins???
You'll have quite a time getting a boot into them.

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly don't you want open-heel fins?

sherbetchris:
is there a specific fin type for diving coldwater? i mean that i prefer to use a full foot fin rather than a strapped fin, and considering i live in Rhode island, the water as you know isnt exactly warm!! purpose?

Open heel fins are the best choice for cold water diving around Rhode Island they will be perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom