Future Innovations in Scuba Gear?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PurpleRonald

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite helmet - most comfortable was the old Joe Savoie ie. it was light, had great vision(was not claustrophobic and it just felt comfy) Some of the worst things I've ever worn: a face mask with a giant purge valve(I forget the brand - maybe a 'voight' but it boasted of having the largest purge valve of any mask...and a 3 window mask by Scubapro that had a huge purge and so much volume it was pitiful...) Well, here's some thoughts of what I'd like to see :

1) A wing with a ballast system that uses 'the water' as its weight/ballast ie. flood it for weight and purge it with the inflator hose for buoyancy. The dream of finally burying 'weight belts and pocket weights...' (in theory one could gauge one's weight/ballast and monitor it throughout the dive) One could precisely measure one's ballast and become a true submarine.

2) A scuba helmet/hat(i always liked those old Jacque Cousteau Divers who wore the neat yellow helmets with the integrated light)but I think it makes sense - especially if it is so comfortable you don't even know it's there. It seems logical ie. of all the places on earth where you don't want to bump your head and lose consciousness - underwater would seem to be the place!

3)Improved full face masks that incorporate improved communication systems. I like the Oceanic and Kirby M. masks that allow 'buddy breathing' but would of course like to see them lighter and evermore sleeker.

4)As technology improves - the 'rebreather' becomes more affordable and practical...
but one also envisions a kind of back-up rebreather for scuba divers ie. instead of 'spare air' or even an octopus - one has a small back-up rebreather.

5) A new 'spear' - not quite a 'speargun' but not a 'polespear' ie. more like a 'Hawaiian Sling' but more powerful ie. it would be short range and kinda like a 'bow and arrow' - think of a small bow and arrow with thin carbon 'arrows' that can be reloaded...shot at relatively short ranges ie. 5 ft.

6) The Perfect Fin (how bout a fin that starts at the knee and ends at the foot - you could even walk in it on the beach as well as on the seafloor...)

7) A Tank the size of a small spare air that lasts as long as a standard 80. ; )
It would fit inside one's new wing and custom fitted back pack...

8) A Nice instrument console(in color) that incorporates your shark shield,metal detector, GPS and Fish Finder.. ; )

PurpleRonald:
1) A wing with a ballast system that uses 'the water' as its weight/ballast ie. flood it for weight and purge it with the inflator hose for buoyancy. The dream of finally burying 'weight belts and pocket weights...' (in theory one could gauge one's weight/ballast and monitor it throughout the dive) One could precisely measure one's ballast and become a true submarine.

Water ballast only works if you have a vessel that is negative to begin with being kept buoyant by an air space (i.e. submarine).

In order to add "weight" to a scuba diver you must introduce something into the system more dense than water (lead, steel, etc) Meerly adding water into a container (wing) on a diver will not make them sink.

When you think about it, a wing or BC is exactly what you're describing in part 1. By deflating the wing, you're replacing its volume with water.. and by using your power inflator, you're "purging" water and replacing it with ambient pressure air.

Helmets are silly..

FFM idea could possibly go somewhere... and of course rebreathers.

PurpleRonald:
7) A Tank the size of a small spare air that lasts as long as a standard 80. ; )
It would fit inside one's new wing and custom fitted back pack...

People have trouble getting a 3500 PSI tank filled to capacity imagine trying to get a 22,500PSI tank filled. To put 80 cu ft a package that normally hold 3 cu ft would be one major engineering task. The tank would probably be a no hydro, limited life tank.

What type of valve would you use???

MikeC:
People have trouble getting a 3500 PSI tank filled to capacity imagine trying to get a 22,500PSI tank filled. To put 80 cu ft a package that normally hold 3 cu ft would be one major engineering task. The tank would probably be a no hydro, limited life tank.

What type of valve would you use???
It's the future, man.

Of course there are going to be innovations and improvements in air system design...

jonnythan:
It's the future, man.

Of course there are going to be innovations and improvements in air system design...

What was the tank pressures during the 50's and 60's? 2250PSI? In almost 50 years the tanks have been improved by by about 55%, not that great of an increase considering the advances in auto technology or aviation.

The major factor here is money, what percentage of the world's population dives? A small percentage I bet. Not much incentive for R&D to be done considering the small return on investment.

I'll go for gill implant :)
Economical rebreather, simple to use and easy to maintain would be nice.

ssra30:
I'll go for gill implant :)
Economical rebreather, simple to use and easy to maintain would be nice.

I didn't mention the idea of the electric blanket/body glove wet suit...that operates off the shark shield and powers the scooter and the GPS - and glows! Great for caves - and night dives - just flip the switch on the helmut light! ; )

I'd say inexpensive underwater communication would be the most likely, yet not very desirable IMO.
Who wants to hear your buddy sing bad rap while you are UW?

1.) sleek full face mask with built in liquid crystal display that will show air/depth/breathing rate/gps location in full color.

2.) integrated astronaut like bcd which will incorporate small tanks holding appropriate breathing gas in liquid form. there will also be small integrated jets on either style that will mimic buck rogers propulsion underwater.

3.) new fabric, isothermic technology for the wetsuit that will be .5 mm thick but will be enough to keep you warm throught the dive.

4.) hid dive lights that are small and compact and the ballast the size of your wrist/divecomputer.

Back
Top Bottom