Impatient to buy equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IvoryDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just started diving and am currently taking my advanced and nitrox courses. I am also planning a trip to Cozumel in the next couple of weeks. I have been looking at buying my own regulator for a little bit now and still am not able to make up my mind on which one to get.
I was considering the following regs:
Maximus (Sherwood)
ATX50 (Apeks)
Delta 3 (Oceanic)
Legend LX Supreme (Aqualung)
All kinda different in their own way...
Then I saw a Poseidon Xstream on sale for $400 from a registered dealer!
Now I am thinking...why not get the top of the line reg?
Is that the wrong way to go? What are the aspects of each regulator I should focus on?
I am looking for ease of breathing, quality, and affordability. Should I just go for a Delta 3 and be happy?
Should I wait to dive more before getting my own reg?

Advice would be greatly appreciated..

IvoryD :)

FWIW, I have used the Delta 3 for many years and never have had a problem. Also use the Delta 4.

Just a thought to consider in your choice...Cost and convenience of service is going to be important in the care of your reg.

I would advise patience, grasshopper. Decisions made in jaste that do not call for haste may often proven to be costly ones.

Do some dives. Read up on regs. A lot. Try to dive with different models & see how you like them in real world conditions.

Consider local service & support, or if you're going to ship them off, where to. Some use expensive parts, some much more affordable. Think about the diving you plan to do & get what will continue to serve you well as you grow as a diver.

BIGSAGE136:
Just a thought to consider in your choice...Cost and convenience of service is going to be important in the care of your reg.

I 2nd that. Especially if you plan on traveling alot. Can you get it serviced in Mexico, Bahamas, Fiji? Are you planning on deep dives? Maybe technical someday? Then you may want to consider the highest performing/reliable reg for the money. I chose Apeks as it's a great breather and easy to repair. Simple, straightforward design. And it's used by many tech divers. I also dive in cold water so I got the ATX200 as it's environmentally sealed. It's more immune to freezing and freeflowing in colder waters. The Aqualung is also a fantastic reg. I know the Poseiden is an excellent reg but I don't know much about parts availability and servicing.

I completely agree with the last 2 posters, grasshopper. I have been certified for 15 years and I finally just bought the gear that I really want. I did so after lots of diving with different gear, lots of asking questions to other divers about their gear, and lots of research. I would at least dive for a few months with other people's gear before jumping into the decision, then be sure to check on costs to service your gear at your local dive shop.

In my case, I made some online purchases I wasn't happy with (like you, trying to squeeze in the purchases before I went on a dive vacation), so since I never used them, I returned them and gladly shopped at my favorite local dive shop. Remember that you will need to keep your gear clean and regularly serviced. Have a fun and safe dive vacation in the meantime!

Wayward Son:
I would advise patience, grasshopper. Decisions made in jaste that do not call for haste may often proven to be costly ones.
Do some dives. Read up on regs. A lot. Try to dive with different models & see how you like them in real world conditions.

Thank you all for your input...

The general sense I get is that I should take my time. Continuously practicing the art of diving should help me decide what kind of equipment I really want.
But here is the issue, as far as I know nobody rents legend LX supremes or ATX50s....Am I wrong? Am I not looking in the right places? I have the feeling that by continuing to rent all I would be doing is comparing 'not so great regulators'...I have been lucky to be able to use someone else's BC once but people don't usually like lending their regs.

IvoryD:)
Dive Happy!

Hang out and dive with some of the people here and you can get a chance to dive all sorts of gear. I was able to experience diving double 100's on aluminum bp and wing using Dive Rite regs thanks to a connection I made here. As a result I now own a Dive Rite regulator and love it!
Ber :lilbunny:

IvoryDiver:
Thank you all for your input...

The general sense I get is that I should take my time. Continuously practicing the art of diving should help me decide what kind of equipment I really want.
But here is the issue, as far as I know nobody rents legend LX supremes or ATX50s....Am I wrong? Am I not looking in the right places? I have the feeling that by continuing to rent all I would be doing is comparing 'not so great regulators'...I have been lucky to be able to use someone else's BC once but people don't usually like lending their regs.

IvoryD:)
Dive Happy!

I hear you Ivory Diver...

If you can network as Ber Rabbit mentioned that's great stuff. As far as rentals go in this area it's all low end stuff and there's not even many who will let stuff out for a try dive, there are a few shop pools. Take as much time as your patience will allow and buy what your budget will tollerate as you become confident in components.

That being said I did my last certification session in all my own gear, as did my wife. We got good solid stuff that we are comfortable in and are enjoying. Our rental options were very limited and it was either buy or flounder around in low end rental stuff. That wasn't going to help our decision making process or save us any money. Everything we got is durable, safe and locally serviced. Are we likely to upgrade over time? Quite likely but by then we will have a better idea where our dviing is taking us, we'll be much more savy and can make changes as our budget allows.

Your circumstances will have a lot to do with your decision making process.

For what it's worth I'd start with the BC. To me as a new diver the regulator is fairly transparent to switch between dives and there's not a lot of learning or techique beyond breating control. Yes it is "your gas supply" and the diver before you may have puked in it but......

The BC will have dumps that you will need to learn and re learn to control bouyancy and getting your trim right may be like starting over at times. It also is the core of where to find your gauges, safe second, cutting tool(s) whistle and what-not.

Just a my thoughts based on bouncing between different gear during training. I skirted the issue and bought them together.

Good luck and happy & safe diving.
Pete

If your thoughts are towards doing the cold, deep dives of the Northeast, then that seems like a pretty good deal on the Poseidon Xstream. I picked up a pair when I went tech and really like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom