Dive Knives - The Law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig5381

New
Reaction score
Does anyone know the law regarding the length of Dive Knife Blades? In England and generally all over the world, if this is not too bigger question in itself! I do not fancy a stay in jail!
Thank you for your responses
Craig

I assume you mean in reference to airline travel and anti-terrorism? As far as I know, there are no restrictions on how long a blade you can put into checked luggage on airlines; the fact that it's in with dive gear would obviously help your case.

Another issue is whether ecology laws in a particular country or area will allow divers to carry a dive knife, or for that matter any cutting tool. Many (all?) areas in the Egyptian Red Sea prohibit knives; Mania says that even applies to cutting tools like shears or z-knives... and that the law is strictly enforced.

I just got back from two weeks at Makadi, south of Hurghada. And I was surprised at the number of guests with knives on their BC's, or even strapped to their legs. Not many, but many more than strict enforcement would imply.

I asked one of the divemasters about that. He thought at first I was asking about him (I actually hadn't seen him with a knife); he told me that divemasters and above are authorized to carry knives, but not guests. It's supposedly not just so that tourists don't poke at the reefs; they're also afraid that a knife could slip out of a sheath, fall on a reef, and accidentally damage it that way.

But I pointed out that a couple of guests on the boat had knives, attached or strapped-on openly. He admitted that the regulation was not strictly enforced. I suppose it would be different if they actually saw a guest prodding at the reef, or cutting a piece of gorgonian...

Mania is certainly correct, that a cutting tool is unnecessary for diving at the tourist locations there...

--Marek

I have just come back from Nuweiba(Egypt) and the group i was diving with were all carrying knives aswell, strange they let them go out with them.
But insisted that one chap did not use his gloves as that was against the law! I'm not quite sure why he needed gloves in the Red Sea it was 29 degrees!
I was wondering mainly what the laws were in the carribean as we are spending part of our honeymoon in Turks and Caicos, and we definitely want to do some diving over there, and i would like to take my knife which has a 5"blade.

craig5381:
I'm not quite sure why he needed gloves in the Red Sea it was 29 degrees!
29C... 29C... Yup, that would be equal to the 84F, according to our computers set to Imperial units!

As always, the Egyptians (and Germans) there got a real kick at seeing our gauges... SPGs in psi... putting down our max depths in feet... :D

People of course wear reef gloves in warm waters not for thermal protection, but exactly becuase they want to touch stuff without getting hurt. So it does make a lot of sense to enforce the no-gloves rule strictly.

craig5381:
True- did not think that comment through too well.apologies for daft comment

There are no daft questions, only daft answers. :wink: No harm in asking - there is a LOT of confusion and mis-information these days regarding this sort of thing. Good of you to ask about it.

-Ben

TSA regulations state that any knife confiscated at the screening point with a blade under 5" is just an oops on the travelers part. Anything over 5" requires a police report. So anyway there was my 6" dive knife that somehow migrated into my carryon luggage from my checked baggage. The Tucson police officer was real nice (she was cute too) and the warning letter from TSA was friendly......
Most countries have no problem with a dive knife 6" blade or less within the confines of the diving area. If your not diving leave it in the room.

Dave

Marek K:
People of course wear reef gloves in warm waters not for thermal protection, but exactly becuase they want to touch stuff without getting hurt. So it does make a lot of sense to enforce the no-gloves rule strictly.

People do not ALWAYS wear gloves in warm water because they want to touch stuff they shouldn't. Have you ever tried to hold onto a standing line to a mooring ball to do deco after 3 1/2 hours under water using your bare hands? Your poor little paws get cuts from the critters growing on the rope! (...and yes, Jon Lines help, but sometimes not as much as you might think...) :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom