Opinions On My Selected Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Hull

Registered
Reaction score
In a jar of mayonnaise, surrounded by albino croco
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, my son and I recently finished our OW certs and we are now focusing on gear selection. Unfortunately, we will not be able to rent every type of gear in a 'try before you buy' type scenario. After reading the forums and doing some comparrisons this is the gear we have settled on (note: mask, fins, snorkel, wet suits, etc. not included in listing, we should be able to figure these out for ourselves):

BC: Zeagle Ranger BCD with Ripcord Weight System, Black

Reg: AquaLung Legend LX Supreme Regulator (Most, if not all, diving will be in warm waters, but the Legend LX Supreme is about $19 cheaper then the Legend LX....anyone know why?)

Octo: AquaLung ABS Octopus, Yellow

Comp: Suunto "Cobra" Air/Nitrox, Air Interegrated Computer Console with Compass & Quick Disconnect

Basically, thats it. I wanted to purchase from ScubaToys, but did not see most of this on their sales listing...hence my choice to purchase from LeisurePro. My only concern for buying this stuff online is the requirement to assemble it. If assembly is nothing more than putting the items in order on the 1st Stage and tightening with a wrench there will be no problem. Anyone know is LP will assemble the items before shipping?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't see anything worng with any of it. But if you buy it from LP, you're NOT going to have warranties on it, except whatever LP chooses to do. I've read both good and horror stories about that, ranging from "LP sent me a replacement" to "LP told me that once we got it wet, it was ours, period".

Why not buy stuff that Larry does sell that will be warranteed? He has Zeagle, for one.

Other than the warranty stuff of getting from LP that is overall a good gear selection, however that reg is an overbalanced first stage and the octo is unbalanced. That combination has been known to have freeflow issues. Get a balanced octo (ie the legend octo) and save the potential of headaches. If you won't spend the extra money for the right octo I can promise you that you will regret it!

Deep Hull:
My only concern for buying this stuff online is the requirement to assemble it. If assembly is nothing more than putting the items in order on the 1st Stage and tightening with a wrench there will be no problem. Anyone know is LP will assemble the items before shipping?
I've never ordered a complete rig from LeisurePro... but I'd be very surprised if all the components didn't come still in their boxes, unassembled. Do let us know... folks are always curious as to LeisurePro's service!

You'll just have to connect the three hoses (primary, octo, and console) to the first stage. Console hose, of course, goes into the high-pressure port; it's a larger-diameter port, and you can't mistake it. There may be more than one HP port, and you just have to decide which one lines the console up correctly for you (usually on the left side, low).

The other two hoses, for the second stages, go into low-pressure ports... just make sure they end up on the right side, with the octo under the primary. Right?

Don't tighten them too much, or you could damage the fittings... hand-tight, plus a small extra snug with a wrench. My Sherwood tech manual says not to exceed 40 in. lbs., but how are you going to get a torque wrench on there with normal garage tools?

--Marek

I'd suggest not buying at LeisurePro. I'm a fan of buying on the internet, but by buying at LP you're committing yourself to assembling and caring for all of the gear yourself. For some that's not an issue, but for a pair of newly certified divers making a big investment it can turn into a real headache not having anyone really responsible for the gear.

The gear looks fine (except I highly recommend you buy a better 'octo' instead of the cheapie yellow thing), but buy at your LDS or a reputable online dive shop like ScubaToys that will give you the real manufacturer warranty and be willing to help you out when things don't work perfectly.

Very good suggestions, thanks everyone. How about if I went with ScubaToys Bad *** Regulator Setup (lol, love the name) and stick with the Zeagle Ranger? I had my heart set on the Suunto Vyper, buy the Atmos AI seems to have most of the same features and I think I will be just a satisfied....plus I like the look.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

If you're not crazy about everything that comes in the package, call Larry and he will make you your own special little package deal (including 10% off for being an SB member), that way you can get everything you want. Except the computer....as far as I know ScubaToys doesn't carry Suunto, but you can get everything else from him for a great price and get the Vyper from your LDS or somewhere else.

teknitroxdiver:
If you're not crazy about everything that comes in the package, call Larry and he will make you your own special little package deal (including 10% off for being an SB member), that way you can get everything you want. Except the computer....as far as I know ScubaToys doesn't carry Suunto, but you can get everything else from him for a great price and get the Vyper from your LDS or somewhere else.

Looks like a better choice. Go with the Oceanic octo to make servicing easier.(some shops may not carry the combo of brands making servicing more difficult)

yeah suunto doesn't allow online sales, so Larry can't carry suunto..i'd go with him for the rest though...even if you have your heart set on a cobra

I will tell you that I dive a Ranger and am delighted with it. Very high quality BCD. I also have a Aeris Atmos AI air-integrated computer that I am very happy with.

Please do not buy from LP. From what I have read on this board they are not an authorized dealer for Zeagle, and you can run into serious warranty issues if you do not buy from an auth dealer. Further, you will not likely find someone accountable to take your troubles to. Your only interface with them is an 800 number, and all they have to do to make you go away is hang up.

Another poster mentioned this, I think, but I'll re-iterate... those regs will come separately, and you will need to set them up on your 1st stage yourself. You've been certified how long? Do you relly want to be doing that? I will tell you that I have been certified about a year, and I would not dream of working on my gear. Call Larry at scubatoys. They will completely take care of you.

Regards,
--'Goose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom