I need to find a home for old Scuba odds and ends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Scuba 'stuff' - old knives, weight pockets, lights, things like that, that I no longer have a use for, and it is cluttering up my very limited storage.

They are not worth the effort to Ebay but I hate throwing out things that might be useful to someone.

Is there a charity that deals with this sort of thing? Preferably near Houston.

Any other ideas?

Grajan:
Is there a charity that deals with this sort of thing? Preferably near Houston.

Maybe. I've been selling donated scuba equipment to raise funds for www.helptravis.org

The trouble is the low value items are hard to sell. Shiping
costs basicaly $10 a box. So for example I have a nice size XS hood that I'd sell for $8 but then Office Depot wants $10 to ship it.

Send me a PM the above fund is set up with the IRS as
being tax deductable.

The Scouts???

How about my home? :)

I collect old dive gear as donations and sell it on EBay. This has paid for one DM class (given at cost) for a young Honduran who was highly motivated to become a DM at CoCoView.

I've also had some fun with the ads at the same time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171316328

and the all time classic EBay/SCUBA Joke item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1300&item=7153055752

Have a look, have a laugh, get some money flowing to a renewable resource... DiveMasters!

ChrisA:
The trouble is the low value items are hard to sell. Shiping
costs basicaly $10 a box. So for example I have a nice size XS hood that I'd sell for $8 but then Office Depot wants $10 to ship it.

You're using the wrong shipping method, the following is from the Postal Service website:

Priority Mail

Priority Mail is used for documents, gifts, and merchandise. Any mailable item may be sent as Priority Mail. The maximum weight is 70 pounds. The maximum size is 108 inches or less in combined length and distance around the thickest part. Mark each package "Priority Mail" in the postage area or use a USPS-provided Priority Mail envelope or box.

Features

Priority Mail offers 1-3 day service to most domestic destinations. Priority Mail envelopes, labels, and boxes are available at no additional charge at most post offices or by calling 1-800-222-1811. Pickup service is available for $12.50 per stop, regardless of the number of pieces.

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope
$3.85, regardless of weight or destination, for matter sent in a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope provided by the Postal Service.

Priority Mail Flat Rate Box

$7.70, regardless of weight (up to a 70 lb. maximum) or destination, for matter sent in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box provided by the Postal Service.

That hood should fit nicely in a Flat Rate Envelope :) Your postal service has a lot of shipping options and they tend to cost less than other companies.

Ber :lilbunny:

Scottri:
How about my home? :)

I thought the same thing but wasn't sure that he would mess with posting more of what he has.

I also found out that FedEx is usually the cheapiest. I sent out a package that wieghed 23 lbs and it cost me $12 and some change. The same package sent UPS was going to cost $36 and some change. USPS was more towards the FedEx.

Thanks everyone,

I was looking for a 'good' cause which clearly eliminates a couple of you (you know who you are.......).

I will work on this at the weekend.

It does strike me that there is efficiency in volume and the cumulative value of redundant gear owned by SB members must be enormous. Pity I'm not looking for a project....

heres an idea go to your local diveshop and see if they need for some rental kits. hope this helped

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom