hookah diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereis

New
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where I can buy/try hookah diving equipment in UK,. Would be interested to hear opinions of hookah diving, equipment recommendations etc. thanks

Can't help you with Hookah but....Welcome to ScubaBoard!

and that will be the last time I think I will ever try it. It was at a Florida spring with canoes overhead, and yep... when the paddle hit the really, really long hose it tore it right out of my mouth. Hurt, disoriented and confused, I did my one and only non training ESA. It has been a few years, and I can't seem to remember the name of that spring. It was a pretty spring in N FLorida, and it might have been on private land. Real close to the Suwannee River.

Originally posted by NetDoc
when the paddle hit the really, really long hose it tore it right out of my mouth.

To prevent this from happening the proper technique is to clip the hose to the body with plenty of hose to the mouth. A hose running from the reg directly to the surface, anything can snag the hose and rip it out, not to speak of a shark taking the hose.

I remember asking about that too... and I remember seeing a spot on the hose where it looked like something was broken off... but I was just into diving and was told to just go down with it in my mouth. I didn't have any weight on me, so I had to keep fighting just to stay down. I was glad to have surfaced and did not attempt another dive with it. The problem with "trust me" dives is that the person asking you do it should hardly ever be trusted. The second problem with "trust me" dives, is that sometimes you don't know enough to just say "no". :tease:

And the third problem is that sometimes one does not know that something exists that should be asked about.

When I was growing up in South Florida we had one and we kids loved it. We used it until it finally gave out and we grew up and moved out. Haven't used one since and have been certified for a long time.

I am considering in buying one for some Key's lobstering this year...

How deep can you go doing hookah diving? I've never seen it...I guess it's probably not so great here in the PNW where 10' visibility can be considered awesome. Do you use a BCD with it?

Back
Top Bottom