is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpauley

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I just got our OW Certifications and are now shopping around for our first gear. We have our masks, fins, and snorkels but we need everything else. Our LDS (Underwater Sports in Seattle) is having a big sale the weekend after next and they have package deals. The entry level package consists of:
oceanic alpha 7 regulator
oceanic alpha 7 octo
oceanic gauge console
oceanic cabo BCD
for &570

does anyone have opinions on these things? The next package up is 900 and has Zeagle Envoy regulators and a Seaquest balance BCD.
Any recomendations?

To me that sounds like a good deal....you can pay that for just a BCD. But I live in the UK so prices may vary.
Best advice I can give is take a look round some other dive shops and see how the prices compare.

As for the gear itself...I've never used Oceanic stuff...so i wouldnt be able to give an opinion but I am sure there are plenty of others bursting with opinions so I'll leave that to them!

Congrates to you and your g/f on getting through your O/W - its all addictive from there! :wink:

Hi kpauley,

First, congrats on getting yourselves certified, and welcome to the sport! :)

Be careful of rushing out and buying all of your gear immediately. The two BCs you mention are very different beasts. The Oceanic Cabo is a jacket style BC, and the SeaQuest Balance is a back inflation BC. Which style did you dive during your open water course? Most likely it was a jacket BC. However with some experience you will rapidly appreciate the improvement in streamlining and trim that comes from a back inflation BC.

Back inflation BCs promote a more horizontal swimming position in the water, which presents less drag and less expended energy, which helps for a more enjoyable dive. Most technical divers use back inflation BCs or a similar concept known as backplate and wings, because of the improved trim and streamlining over a jacket BC. It may feel funny at first being in the face-down swimming position, but you're usually looking at stuff on the bottom anyway :) People sometimes say that back inflation BCs present a drowning hazard, as they tend to push you face forward into the water on the surface - which is a load of bunk. Just lean back against the BC on the surface with your legs out in front of you, instead of bent beneath you, and it's like a big comfy armchair in the water.

Your LDS may or may not have both styles of BC available to rent, but if they do, DEFINITELY try both styles out (on the same day if you can!) and see if you prefer one over the other. Note that SeaQuest has several women-specific BCs as well (including back inflation), which your girlfriend may find more comfortable, depending on her body shape. Hopefully your LDS could work out a specific package for her.

SeaQuest BCs and Zeagle regulators are both fine products - Oceanic tends to be more entry-level, and is often just generic gear rebranded as Oceanic. Not sure about the specific Oceanic products you've mentioned though. The SeaQuest BC will also hold its value better if you decide to sell if for any reason. Also, both of these BCs will only take a single tank - if you're just beginning your diving career, diving with double tanks is a long ways off yet, at which point you would want to look very hard at the backplate and wings. Incidently, a backplate and wings for recreational diving would cost about $500-$600, but would be an investment you would not regret (but you didn't ask about them so I'll shut up and stop confusing you!).

Hopefully other people on the board can offer some advice on the regulators.

cheers

Ben

If I could do it all over from the start.. I would have invested in a nice back plate and wing setup.

Going to cost me around 800 dollars (Canadain) to fix what I screwed up the first time for OW. Hopfully e-bay will help that number look a bit less daunting, unfortunatly I can only find that out.. after I spend the coin.

Definatly check the equipment sections to find opinions on equipment, don't take my word and especialy don't take the LDS's word for it.

What Ben said about the Oceanic brand is what I keep hearing, too, but I don't have any of their stuff beyond my snorkel. I had a back-inflation BC for my 1st 3 years & found it very complicated as a beginner. I recently went back to the jacket-style & am more comfortable.

I bought a whole lot of gear at a one-weekend sale myslef this February. Some of the stuff is fine; some is not too cool, but all is useable & ultimately re-sellable. I hope to replace much of my cheaper gear for a variety of reasons, but you don't know what those reasons are until you have been diving a while. It is all guaranteed to be safe. If all u can afford is $570, I say get it, use it, maintain it, & when u figure out what u really want, sell this stuf or get trade-in value at the LDS. I recommend getting a balanced regulator, whichever brand u choose. Also, under no circumstances do I suggest getting a cheap, bad Octo. OOA situations DO happen, & you want your buddy to be comfortable enough not to grab the reg from your mouth.

Originally posted by kpauley
My girlfriend and I just got our OW Certifications and are now shopping around for our first gear. We have our masks, fins, and snorkels but we need everything else. Our LDS (Underwater Sports in Seattle) is having a big sale the weekend after next and they have package deals. The entry level package consists of:
oceanic alpha 7 regulator
oceanic alpha 7 octo
oceanic gauge console
oceanic cabo BCD
for &570

does anyone have opinions on these things? The next package up is 900 and has Zeagle Envoy regulators and a Seaquest balance BCD.
Any recomendations?

Congrats on your certification.
Oceanics are excellent regulators, i use a oceanic delta II as a primary on a 7' hose and an oceanic delta III as my backup.
Forget the console, console's are too bulky, i'd buy a compass and a depthgauge or computer and wear them on the wrist, compass on the left computer/depth gauge on the right. I'd advise you to seriously consider a backinflating wing with a steel backplate. Try to set up a DIR style rig, but mentioning that at underwatersports might be an issue as they dont really sell the right stuff to set it up and are a somewhat anti-DIR diveshop :mean: , but they catch on sooner or later :D

Yup,
I'm a Newbie - newly certfied as well, and have done the BC to BP/Wings deal, then almost back to a BC...and now just use my BP and Wings.

I personally found that my BP/Wings felt like I had nothing on in the water and glide effortlessly while down there. I like the idea that my BP/Wings are modular and can be changed as needed to suit my dive needs, or growth in time.

If you think that you may be interested in technical diving at any time (wreck, cave or deep diving) - I'd suggest the BP/Wings now.

Otherwise, many people use jacket BC's and do just fine.

I used to think that the face-forward feature of my wings was scary too, until after 2 dives in the pool testing it - and then I found out you just lean back, like the above poster said - and relax just as if you were in your favorite Lazy Boy recliner chair. very comfy.

My BP/Wings stow and pack easily, and takes about 1/3 of the room I'd need for a traditional BC.

Anyways, congrats and dive safe and have fun!

PS There are ALOT of very experienced divers on this board - but take note. While you will get lots of heated opinions and such, heed the undertones of them - as many of these guys know whats happening in the 'circuit' of scuba diving today...

All I can contribute is that I dive the Balance and love it. But try both if you can because different people have very different taste when it comes to BC's

Good luck on you choice.

Chad

My wife bought the Zeagle Zena BC and it is great. Put it on like a jacket and zip up the front. No cumberbun, no hassle, great fit. Check it out if you can. I wish they made that style for men.:thumb:

ScubaCRNA My wife bought the Zeagle Zena BC and it is great. Put it on like a jacket and zip up the front. No cumberbun, no hassle, great fit. Check it out if you can. I wish they made that style for men
My fiancee has the Zeagle Zena BC (small) and I have the Ranger. She loves the front zipper, but she is so petite (5'4" 100 lbs and Asian) that it only fits properly if she has on her wet suit. Must be a burden to be so small ;p
She loves the Zena, and I love my Ranger, Zeagle is awsome for BC's, they fit like a glove.
Ranz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom