Single person Sevylor DiveYak(inflatable)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased one of these from my LDS a few days ago.He had three of them in stock and looked like something i could really use.This will give me a chance to go farther out without an exhausting swim from the beach.Best of all it deflates so i can put it in the trunk of my small car.I would love to have a full sized kayak but have no way to haul the darn thing and dont want to buy trailer to haul it.

I took it out for a test run at Montana de oro.The conditions were less than desirable as there was 3-5 ft swells with the occasional whitecaps not to far from shore.I decided against diving there but took the kayak out.I got out past the surf pretty easily and paddled out a few hundred yards.It was pretty rough and decided to paddle back in.Being a sit on top kayak its not the most stable thing in the world but i managed to keep my balnce and make it to shore.

From here i packed it up and went to morro bay.I launched where the kayaks usually launch right off of the sandy beach area.I went out about 100 yds and dropped anchor.Getting off the kayak was easy as well as getting my gear off.I donned my bc in the water and down i went.I must admit it is a rather boring dive around there with not much to see.The rocks offer much better scenery.

Once i surfaced i took off my bc and hooked it to the supplied line on the kayak so it wouldnt float off.I manged to get back on fairly easily and turned around and pulled my gear up.That was a bit of a struggle. Next time ill take my weight pockets out first and strap them to the kayak to make it easier to pully my rig up.Once i strapped it all down i paddled around for a while then went back to shore.I must admit that it did paddle fairly easy even with all my gear strapped to it.

I definitely wouldnt use this thing in anything to rough.I still need lots of practice with balance but managed not to tip over.It will be perfect for my use around morro bay,montana de oro,and monterey on calmer days.This thing definitely beats a long shore swim and gives me access to further sites that are to far to swim.

The kayak is very well built with a tough outer cover and removable inner bladder.It has plenty of places to tie things down with lots of d-rings and supplied straps.There are some things that i can see for improvement like on the paddle holder that will make it easier to use with gloves.

Overall im fairly happy with it(especially since it fits in the trunk of my car).I do wish it was a little more stable but hopefully that will come with practice.This should work great for my needs for diving around Morro Bay,Montana de oro and Monterey.

I've been looking at those and I saw they have a 2 person one too. I don't want to drive to San Diego with a kayak on top of my 4runner so that might be a excellent solution. Thanks for the report, Joe.

One of the dive shops we frequent has one very similar to yours and Beast oggles and strokes it every time we go in there! I have to keep reminding him of his kayak experiences in the past.... stroke, stroke, splash!

I have to admit it does look like alot of fun.

I thought my wife was gonna kill me.She said i drooled over it for at least 45 min checking over the entire thing at least 15 times before making up mind.To say the least i am now banned from the dive shop for a while by my wife.She also stearnly warned the store owner not to stock anymore eye catching goodies so i dont break the bank...lol.

I hope your sitting down..lol
Well i got the whole package for 500.00 which icludes the anchor,paddles,pump,kayak,flag and pole.The kayak alone sells alone for 400.00.

If you are able to transport a full size kayak you would probably be better off.That wasnt an option for me so i went the inflatable route.The outer hull is made as the same material as zodiacs so its very durable and should last quite a while.

The only reason I have not yet purchased one is that I have no one else to go out with. I do not solo dive, and have enough problems getting a dive partner, never mind finding one with a dive kayak as well! Deffinately a great way to do it if you can pull it off. My choice of dive platforms is the Scupper Pro XT. Nice long (14ft) sit on top that is stable enough for experieced paddlers to dive from, yet sleek enough to do some moderate touring with. Next choice would be the Drifter. Haven't taken this one out yet but I hear it's as stable as a rock. A little short for touring though, and since my wife has a beautiful fiberglass touring boat, I need something that I can try to keep pace in.
Good luck. That dive yak looks pretty cool, just not quite versitile enough for me. By the way, you can strap a pretty decent sized kayak on the roof of just about any car without a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom