Where do you carry your strobe? Other safety ecquipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
Short question: When you're diving wet (i.e. no big drysuit pockets to store stuff), where do you store smaller items?

Long question: Just getting ready for a trip to Grand Cayman and decided add another piece of safety gear to my setup. I have a halcyon bp/w with the storage pack. I carry a fair amount of safety gear but at the same time I don't look like a christmas tree. Safety gear: Small knife on right hip, z-knife on left hip, small (4 AA) lcd light on right shoulder strap (clipped to D-ring, rubber-banded flush to strap), dive alert (have used it and it's worth its weight in gold), smb/spool in BP storage pack. I been reading a lot about missing diver incidents and survival tools, etc., and decided to buy a strobe -- just in case. I went for the bigger one -- tektite 300 (3 c cell) -- figuring that if I'm ever floating at see, I might wish I sprung for one with the extra battery! This thing is pretty big. I have it tied to a bolt snap and in my storage pack (alongside the smb), but it makes for a pretty tight fit. Anyone have a better idea? I'm also toying with the idea of adding a signal mirror (people on here speak VERY highly of them) and one of those test-tube-like dye markers. I'm completely stumped as to where I'd put them (short of adding a pocket to my BP, which I'm not wild about doing because it defeats the purpose of having a BP/W). I've seen those scuba shorts with the pocket, but I wasn't wild about the idea. I usually use a 1mm full suit when I'm diving in warm water, and I think it's too thin to add a pocket to it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

You should be able to glue a pocket to even the thinnest suit. That's my suggestion.

Is the existing storage "pack" the one that is between you and the BP? If so, you
can buy a pocket to slide onto the waist strap.

Well, I added a pocket from Deepoutdoors to my freedom harness - it holds my SMB, safety sausage, slate, and sea drops... signal mirror and strobe would probably fit as well.

http://deepoutdoors.com/

I use the "explorer" model. Works great for me. Slides right onto my bp's waist strap.

D.

Deep Outdoors offers great pockets.

Don't forget your snorkel (fold-up) and extra mask, invaluble in open water.

I just purchased an OMS large utility pocket that slides on your waist strap. I dove it for the first time yesterday with my BP/W and it was great. I carry my slate in the outside pocket then the rest of my safety gear in the inner pocket. It also has an equipment loop on the inside of the big pocket so that you can clip things in so nothing falls out when you reach in and pull something else out. I didn't even know it was there.

ClassAction:
Short question: When you're diving wet (i.e. no big drysuit pockets to store stuff), where do you store smaller items?

Long question: Just getting ready for a trip to Grand Cayman and decided add another piece of safety gear to my setup. I have a halcyon bp/w with the storage pack. I carry a fair amount of safety gear but at the same time I don't look like a christmas tree. Safety gear: Small knife on right hip, z-knife on left hip, small (4 AA) lcd light on right shoulder strap (clipped to D-ring, rubber-banded flush to strap), dive alert (have used it and it's worth its weight in gold), smb/spool in BP storage pack. I been reading a lot about missing diver incidents and survival tools, etc., and decided to buy a strobe -- just in case. I went for the bigger one -- tektite 300 (3 c cell) -- figuring that if I'm ever floating at see, I might wish I sprung for one with the extra battery! This thing is pretty big. I have it tied to a bolt snap and in my storage pack (alongside the smb), but it makes for a pretty tight fit. Anyone have a better idea? I'm also toying with the idea of adding a signal mirror (people on here speak VERY highly of them) and one of those test-tube-like dye markers. I'm completely stumped as to where I'd put them (short of adding a pocket to my BP, which I'm not wild about doing because it defeats the purpose of having a BP/W). I've seen those scuba shorts with the pocket, but I wasn't wild about the idea. I usually use a 1mm full suit when I'm diving in warm water, and I think it's too thin to add a pocket to it.

Thanks!

When I dive wet (tropical travel diving, SoCal lobstering) and leave the DS at home, I don the BPD (Black Pocket Diaper) X-Shorts.

Excellent pockets, plenty of room, access for wetnotes, dive alert, spool, mask, shears, SMB and other essentuals. These things look like Hockey shorts, but they do rule the pool.

---
Ken

Well, I don't know if I have any suggestions for you but I'll tell you where I put the items you listed

Small knife on right hip
Harness left of middle, DIR style.

z-knife on left hip,
In my case this is shears. Goes in a Diverite pocket hanging on right waist band of the harness. Attachment, as with all the items in my pocket, is done with a double ender.

small (4 AA) lcd light on right shoulder strap (clipped to D-ring, rubber-banded flush to strap),
ditto.

dive alert (have used it and it's worth its weight in gold),
don't have one but there only seems to be one place for that.

smb/spool in BP storage pack
clipped together as a unit on a D-ring. I change the location depending on configuration. Left waist D-ring works well, so does left shoulder depending on what you're carrying and how your hoses are routed.

I rarely carry this item but if I were to do it for the reason you mentioned I would put it in the pocket. Attach a double-ender to it so you can hang it on your DSMB if/when you want. I have one with a single C cell. That's plenty unless you're in orbit.

adding a signal mirror
Don't have one but I should. It would go in the pocket.

dye markers
Don't use them. If you must then put them in the pocket.

(short of adding a pocket to my BP, which I'm not wild about doing because it defeats the purpose of having a BP/W).
visit the Diverite website. They have a variety of pockets that will hang on your harness waist band. Even a small one, like the one I have, will accomodate all of the items you listed.

You need a whistle. It will fit in the pocket too, but I have also attched it to my backup light. A divealert is great as long as you still have air.....

R..

I bought a glo-toob led strobe, with 2 mi. visibility and good run time from the 12v power supply. Since it's thumb-sized and bolt-snapped, storing it is a breeze. I either clip it in my pocket if I'm not planning to need it, or (more relevant to you) if I am planning to use it, I clip it to my right shoulder D-ring and secure it to my harness next to my backup light under a loop of bicycle tube. For clarity's sake, I put the loop of tube around the backup light itself, not the harness. It seems to stow better that way than when I tried having the tubing around the harness, and if I'm planning to use it, I'll most likely be deploying it before the backup light anyhow.

http://home.comcast.net/~msilvia7/strobeplacement.jpg

You really have only three options.

1. X-Shorts
2. Install pockets on your wetsuit
3. Use something like the Halcyon large pouch.

If using a pouch, you've two options. Either

1. Use it in place of a can light on the right waist side (the grommet bolts to your bp - use of can lights in the tropics appears to be a controversial subject); or

2. Mount it as a 'Peleliu Pack' onto your tank using a cam band. For details regarding the latter, see this link:
http://www.tabula-international.com/DIV/SMB3.html

Hope this helps,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
If using a pouch, you've two options. Either

1. Use it in place of a can light on the right waist side (the grommet bolts to your bp - use of can lights in the tropics appears to be a controversial subject); or

I suppose this assumes that the can-light is seen as dumpable weight. There are certainly ways to combine them if neither the can-light nor the pocket is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle.

In a DIR context there may only be one way to do this but that way is debatable in other contexts given the advent of more energy efficient light-heads.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom