what is DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR is short for "Doing It Right". DIR is a diving philosophy that advocates streamlined gear, strong basic skill development, buddy awareness/skills, and physical fitness to help make you a better diver.

DIR came from the tech/cave diving world, but has started to move into the rec diving world.

The parts of the DIR philosophy that stir up the most discussion are the various gear requirements: using a backplate/wing, using a 5-7' primary hose with your "back-up" on a bungee necklace, etc. Many folks also react negatively to the name, which seems to imply that if you are not DIR then you are "doing it wrong".

Try this recent thread, which provides lots of links to DIR sites.

Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) is the agency that is teaching DIR-related courses. The entry level course is DIR Fundamentals, which is a SKILLS course, not a certification course. You cannot become OW certified through GUE. GUE also offers multiple levels of Cave and Tech diving instruction.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8118&highlight=what+is+DIR

Hope this helps. Happy reading.

-LD

that it was named DIR with the resultant implication as pointed out by large_diver.

The one thing that every diver should do is understand the importance of a high level of skill development. Once you understand that poccessing a high level of skill enhances your personal safety and therefore the safety of your buddy it will be easier to embrace the DIR philosophy. IMHO this need not be a seperate entity called DIR but should be something that is taught by every agency involved with scuba certification.

Definitely read the thread by Lost Yooper about "DIRF a sobering experience."

I would wager that if you looked on any dive product website you would find somewhere in which they stated their product or way was the best.

Tommy

jbd once bubbled...
IMHO this need not be a seperate entity called DIR but should be something that is taught by every agency involved with scuba certification.
Because it isn't - someone had to DIR.

And DIR isn't an *entity*... GUE is the entity that teaches DIR (DIR is the philosophy/methodology.)

Those who have not taken a DIRF (DIR fundamentals class from GUE) might take umbrage at the notion that they are not doing it right.

Those who have taken a DIRF immeadiately realize how inadequate their prior training was.

It is not unusual for the most experienced (in doing it wrong) divers to be so shaken by their lack of fundamental skills (as revealed in the DIRF) to become very discourage.

Uncle Pug.

It(high degree of skill) was or is not being taught so someone had to start it. This probably has some historical roots and is also driven by the general publics desire to take the path of least resistance. As an example, I had a cousin who learned to dive in the 1960's. His class was eight weeks long and two evenings per week(16 sessions and far less gear then we use today) My class in 1994 was a total of 5 sessions with far more gear. I guess back then people were more willing to work for something. Nowadays the public wants it PDQ and cheap. So if you eliminate 11 sessions from the training I guess somethings got to go lacking. That something is skill development.

entity was a poor word choice on my part. GUE seems to be a good organization from what I have read about them. Its my understanding that the DIRF class was created only a few years ago for the purpose of overcoming the deficiencies of divers that wanted to take GUE's tech & cave classes.

I like Mike Ferreras philosophy which seems to be, teach diving correctly and don't worry about giving it a specific name.(Correct me Mike if I'm wrong in my interpretation)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Because it isn't - someone had to DIR.

And DIR isn't an *entity*... GUE is the entity that teaches DIR (DIR is the philosophy/methodology.)

Those who have not taken a DIRF (DIR fundamentals class from GUE) might take umbrage at the notion that they are not doing it right.

Those who have taken a DIRF immeadiately realize how inadequate their prior training was.

It is not unusual for the most experienced (in doing it wrong) divers to be so shaken by their lack of fundamental skills (as revealed in the DIRF) to become very discourage.

Second that, when i did the DIRF class i was shaken by my obvious lack of fundamental skills, and that after 500+ dives in varying conditions. It is true that GUE has no OW certification however, fifthDimension here in the Seattle area teaches SSI OW the 'DIR' way. Taking my DIRF class didnt discourage me, it rather made me very determined to get it right and try to get other people to look at DIR and try to convince them not to waste money on PADI, TDI etc. My GF is suffering from that at the moment :D

It is somewhat unfortuneate it is called DIR i think DIB is a better acronym, Doing It Better. I do not believe the majority is doing it wrong but they could sure do it much much better :)

jbd once blubbered...

It is unfortunate that it was named DIR with the resultant implication as pointed out by large_diver.
When I see as much energy put into complaining about the equipment manufacturer “Dive Rite” as I do about “Do It Right” then I’ll believe that folks actually have a gripe with the latter name.

Until then I’ll attribute the complaints to divers that are uncomfortable examining their core beliefs that were shaped by the mainstream SCUBA industry. Last time I saw people [supposedly] so upset with a name was grade school, where kids would chant back “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”

We’re adults now. The name is not the issue, change is. Complaining about the name is only a convenient excuse to avoid the real issue.

Roak

sheck33 is right. DIB would have been a better choice. There is no doubt that a good lot of "mainstream" dive training could be improved by requiring more proven skill which is what GUE has asked for if you are going to take their tech or cave classes. To get that level of skill GUE produced the DIRF class. These skills seem to all have come from the WKPP for some very good reasons. Whats unfortunate is the way this was initially presented to the diving public. The whole DIR concept would have far more followers if it had been presented better in the beginning.

Excellent bouyancy control in any attitude leads to safer diving period. It is something everydiver should strive for and possess as a well ingrained skill. There is nothing elitetist about it, but it was intially presented that way. Thankfully GUE doesn't seem to approach the diving public with an elitetist attitude. Consequently they are successfully getting the word out that diving is about more than hopping in the water, blowing bubbles and banging and bouncing around. Evidence of that can be seen on this board by the number of people who have taken the DIRF class and the many who are actively persuing the opprotunity to take the class.

As for the Dive Rite name, well its a company name. People expect stuff like that from companies just like the Rite Aid pharmacy name. DIR is a philosophy which has the implication that unless you suscribe to that philosophy you are wrong or don't belong or are unwanted. The philosophy and concepts are great and have been well proven over the years.

Back
Top Bottom