Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to start diving again in 2-3 weeks here in New England. Hopefully by the the water temp will have risen above 40F.

I am a wetsuit diver and am looking for ideas about how to stay warmer for early season dives (other than the "pour hot water into your wetsuit at the beginning of the dive" idea). One key concern I have is my booties -- I always emerge from the water with a bunch of water sloshing around in my booties. There are low cost booties I bought during my basic OW course. Do higher end booties tend to keep water 100% out (obviously better for colder water).

Have also considered getting a vest, but since I'm already wearing a 7mm john/jacket, I would bet that a vest would restrict my mobilty quite a bit (plus require some addtional weight).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. A drysuit is somewhere in my future, but having just bought a new car and paid my income taxes to Uncle Sam, my pockets are empty at the moment.

Thanks.

Hey,

Well, here's some tricks for you - first of, it's not the price of the booties that matter but the fit - sounds like you're a tad on the big side. See how you booties fit when dry (that's how you'll try them on), then go and try on other booties and get a slightly tighter fit - go to more than one shop - they will likely have different brands that are going to fit differently.

Second - get a pair of thick polypropolene socks - I use Patagonias expedition weight socks - you can look at them and find something a lot cheaper.

I also bring the hot water in a cooler - about 4-5 gallons in used water jugs. In between dives pour it into your booties and gloves.

You can also wear a skinsuit under the wet suit.

Finally, if you need that little boost - it ALWAYS help to call a dry suit diver chicken!!!

And the last one - pee... Yeah - I know, but it's nice and warm...

Hope this helps,
Terkel
Seattle just got over 47 degrees...

Thanks WD

The Boston Harbor buoy is now registering 453 degrees -- temps are supposed to hit near 70 this weekend.....the water should be "steamy" :tree: by next week ;-)

I'm beginning to suspect that there very soon is going to be a couple of people Florida scratching their heads and wondering what's in the water up north...
:cold:
Terkel

Hey Guys,
It's not what's in the water, it's why you're in water that cold! My idea of cold water diving is a 3.2 mil wetsuit in 70 degree water. Enjoy your dives and Dive Safely.
:tree: Bob

Bob, I am with you on this one! We thought 74 degrees off Kona was frigid! We live in Northern California and have never, I repeat, never dived Monterey, a two hour drive from home.

When I hear the Northeast guys say 45 degrees, I shiver at just reading the numbers. But, man, they are enthusiastic and you cannot knock enthusiam for life! Like Natasha say, "Live to Dive. Dive to Live." But there is a limit for me.

I guess I will have to try it someday. But I will drink lots before I go in, use a rented wetsuit, and urinate until to keep toasty warm(Tell me that that cannot be how WetDane came by his moniker???!!!).

Joewr

The ice is out here in Minnesota. Wednesday night the water was 46F at 20'. I was dry. The guy I dive with most was doing it wet. He enjoyed it enough to do a second one. He's from Scotland, which makes him a little off to begin with.

JoelW

Aye, them Scottsmen are iron clad lads, at least you have a buddy who is not going to back down for nothing!

Wetdane came about only from the fact that I'm Danish and like to get wet - an really, it is my understanding that the pee trick is not as effective in a dry suit...

Oh - and yes, the warmest water I have been diving in is about 50°... I know, I know - I will go to Coz one of these days, but I'll have to re-configure everything and that's just a hassle right?!

Dane (Yes, I'm trying to loose that unfortunate association...)

Back
Top Bottom