Buying Used Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subwilla

Reaction score
I am in the midst of scuba lessons, and have determined that YUP, I love this sport! To complicate matters, though, I'm including my 14 year old daughter in this adventure as well. That makes my purchase budget a little tight (I'm a single Mom).

I often see ads for used wetsuits, BCs etc. but don't have the experience to evaluate their condition or value. Some of the gear is advertised as "used once or twice." So, I thought I'd see if anyone can comment on the pro's and con's of buying used. One potential purchase I've been trying to research is a Women's US Divers wetsuit. What should I look for in terms of a 'bad' suit?

Thanks for the Help!!

Just for the eek factor, a wetsuit is one of the last items I would consider buying used. Other gear should be fine if you don't mind paying for it to be checked out at a store by someone knowledgeable. Used regulators should be serviced before use, and it wouldn't hurt for BCs either - the inflator could be old/damaged.

what you are asking may be a bit dodgey but I would think that once you locate somethng you are interested in, BC, Reg or whatever, that your LDS or some more experienced diver you know would be glad to help.

Whatever you do buy used, make sure the seller allows you to take it and have it checked out, otherwise it's a pig in a poke until you can make the determnation your self.

Good luck, this is all worth the effort.

It sounds like I should tread lightly in the used goods arena. BTW - what exactly is eek factor?

subwilla once bubbled...
It sounds like I should tread lightly in the used goods arena. BTW - what exactly is eek factor?

...sort of like....:eek: Wonder how many people have pee'd in this wetsuit?

THAT sort of eek! It's up to you if soaking disinfectant is sufficient for you to feel comfortable in it. Even though all dive shops will tell their students not to do it, I have had the job of washing those rental wetsuits and trust me...lots of people pee in those suits!

aka: Ick, Yikes, Yewwwww, Well, thanks for the enlightenment.
:embarr:

Now I feel really naive. There are an awful lot of folks around here (no pun intended) selling wetsuits, but they aren't dicounted THAT much.:bonk:

Thanks for the good advice on the hardware evaluations, I'll definitely be avoiding the used software piece.
:)

Well, here's my take. I have had lotsa used gear & have never had a problem. I LOVED my used reg & computer. "used once or twice" is often quite true! Many very rich people get into this sport, buy all the stuff, then drop it (but they are not rich enough to make it worth losing ALL thier money on equipment.) Or folks like me buy the best stuff we can afford at the time, then realize that a different model would suit us better later.

If you do not buy a 14-year old girl her own wetsuit, she will be renting anyway (and wearing suits that others have tinkled in). If you do buy her a new one, she will outgrow it soon. Frankly, the shops use very good cleaner. They would not want to sit there with a whole storeroom fulla stanky rental gear which is what they would have if they cleaned haphazardly (and you would know it too as soon as you walked in!) A suit that is fulla holes & seams that are coming apart, that is excessively stiff (compared to the new ones) is probably on its last legs.

For a young person, the stuff that has to fit (gloves, boots, BC,suit, hood) may as well be considered starter gear as it WILL be replaced soon. Regs/computers/Octo, etc. is m,ore permanant. If the used stuff is safe in the pool, it could be a great way to save $. There are also close-out specials at many shops in the winter as they need to make room for Spring's new models.

I've been diving used gear (wetsuit included) for 9 years now. I bought my mask, snorkel, 2 tanks and computer new. The gear I bought was rental gear that was being replaced by a shop. My husband bought 2 tanks, regulator, horse-collar bc (no longer used for scuba but it was brand new!), and a dive bag at a garage sale for $50! The bag alone was worth more than that!

Wetsuits can be cleaned and you simply have to do the old "sniff test" to determine whether you want to buy a used one. If it stinks, don't buy it! Check for creases in the wetsuit also. Improper storage (folding; laying it on the floor and piling stuff on top of it, etc.) will permanently crush the neoprene reducing its effectiveness as an insulator. Make sure the seams aren't tearing. The knees usually have a pad of some sort because this area takes a bit of abuse sometimes. A little wear on the knees isn't a huge problem. Make sure the zippers move freely and none of the teeth are bent. Check velcro closures to make sure they work and make sure the velcro isn't coming loose from the neoprene (this is fairly easy to fix though).

BTW, I wash my neoprene in the washer on "Delicate" with Woolite every few dives to keep it smelling fresh. Quarry water can leave an odor too, especially if there's sulfur in the rock the springs travel through! (And you thought the smell of urine was bad!)

Good luck in your equipment hunting!
Ber :bunny:

I have both new & used gear. My dive suit was bought brand new at my LDS & I paid top dollar f/ it. If I'd had a braincell working & hadn't been so green, I'd have shopped around & got it from LP or even e-Bay. Do as much research as possible. Find out what equipment you like best- then shop price.

Used gear can work out quite well -- just be sure you know what you're getting into first.

Used wet suits can work out well. You've probably been using the shop's so far. As has been discussed, if it's well cleaned it should be okay. We dip all our equipment in an enzyme cleaner (Sink the Stink is one, Mirazyme is another) which does wonders for ridding gear of any type of odor.

Before you buy any used gear, try to have someone more experienced check it out first. Another consideration -- can your local dive shop service the equipment? I have a mares reg that I'm happy with, but my LDS doesn't service mares.

One possibility -- check with your instructor or LDS operator -- there may be someone ahead of you who wants to trade up! You probably don't need all the bells and whistles to start, and you can bet someone else didn't either, but wants them now that they've gained experience. If they've "outgrown" their equipment but have taken good care of it, you could be in luck.

I decided I didn't like my Zeagle BC (for a variety of reasons) and borrowed my instructor's wife's SeaQuest Libra. I liked it so much I ordered a new one for myself. The friend who inherited the Zeagle seemed pleased to acquire it.

If the shop rents equipment, try out a few things before buying. If I'd been able to try the Zeagle I would have realised that while it's a great BC and had all the options I wanted that it was uncomfortable in the water. My husband loved his, but has since switched to a back plate.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom