Farallon Mk3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just found one on ebay that says it's in excellent shape. How old is this model? Still looking for the right DPV and am considering a bid on this one. Doesn't include batteries but it looks like it takes 2 12v batteries (motorcycle batteries or something similar?). How would it compare to a Mako (which I've also been keeping an eye out for on eBay)?

Brian

Brian,

I kinow this thread is old but I was wondering if you ever purchased this MK3?

To answer your (and maybe others) question, the Farallon MK3 is an old scooter (Farallon calls anything that is not a "ride on" a scooter... only if you sit on it is it a DPV) that was produced from the late 1970s through the 1980s. It was a popular model and is quite rugged (the body is made out of aluminum).

Farallon could be considered the "father" of recreational DPVs in that they have been around for so long (almost every DPV you have seen in a Bond movie during the 1970s and later has been a Farallon).

People tend to downplay them due to age, weight and the current company (only the MK7 and MK8 have been produced by the "new" company) but all things are relative.

As for how a MK3 relates to a Mako, the latter is certainly lighter in weight but the battery time is roughly the same. The MK3 will give you a deeper dive depth (gotta love aluminum).

Regards,
Ltstanfo

The Mako is a decendent of the Tekna scooter with an added center section and better bouyancy traits. They are rated to 180' and with a new acrylic nose piece are supposed to be good to 200'.

The advantage I think compared to a Mk 3 would be current parts (that are also commonly used by other current scooter designs),a 54 (ish) lb weight and generally good performance for the money.

On the other hand, if I had $3700 that I wanted to spend on a scooter, I'd go with an X-scooter and get similar performance and more depth capability for about 20 lbs less weight.

Just found one on ebay that says it's in excellent shape. How old is this model? Still looking for the right DPV and am considering a bid on this one. Doesn't include batteries but it looks like it takes 2 12v batteries (motorcycle batteries or something similar?). How would it compare to a Mako (which I've also been keeping an eye out for on eBay)?

Brian

I wish I had seen that ebay auction. I am helping a friend restore his MkIII and I wouldn't mind one of my own. I know a guy who is an expert on Farralons and he has been a great help with parts and info.

I wish I had seen that ebay auction. I am helping a friend restore his MkIII and I wouldn't mind one of my own. I know a guy who is an expert on Farralons and he has been a great help with parts and info.
You probably don't want to know that you just missed a Mk7E on eBay - from the new Farallon - sold 2 weeks ago for $1000.

Steve,

I've been watching ebay for Farallon auctions. The MK7 is primarily a "ride on" DPV as opposed to the MK3 "tow" scooter. Many divers (particularly cave / wreck) prefer the tow type (for varying reasons).

In any event, I'm glad I happened across this thread. I think Farallons don't get the credit they are due. :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I can't believe some one has a brand new MK III for sale that has never been used that's unheard of. Its a great little machine and a true collectors DPV most that I have seen for sale have all required service now being over 20 years old in design.

Back
Top Bottom