Overseas purchase..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Could some one help me. I am thinking about buying a Uwatec MAster Diver SPG from extreme exposure in the USA. However i have no idea if this shop is reliable or not. HAs anyone shopped at extreme exposure? If so i would be grateful for any comments on this store. Oh and one other thing, My TX100 has 7/16 UNF ports (dont know what UNF means) will an american fitted hose fit my TX100 first stage? I wonder if i should get psi or BAR! All of your responses are very welcome and i am looking forward to your replies. Cheers

Extreme Exposure has a good reputation for delivery at this point in time. I have not had any problems with them.

UNF is Unified Fine Thread and yes an american hose will have this standard size.

Hmmmm..... 14.5 psi is equal to 1 Bar. Maybe you need to brush up on your units of pressure this will help you in your dive planning in the future.

Brad

Hi Atomox thankyou for giving me that info i appreciate your help. Im fine on units and the math thanks though, i was just wondering whether to buy the SPG in BAr or PSI, but that was me thinking aloud. Cheers

Two plus two DOES equal five, but only for very large amounts of two. :idea:

--TexasMike =-)

Originally posted by Frog
Hi Atomox thankyou for giving me that info i appreciate your help. Im fine on units and the math thanks though, i was just wondering whether to buy the SPG in BAr or PSI, but that was me thinking aloud. Cheers

Frog,

PSI vs Bar

In the UK, everyone uses Bar. Shops fill to 232Bar, or 300Bar. All things diving have to be sold rated in Bar. All pressure guages that I have ever seen are Bar.

If all the divers round you use Bar, why be the odd one out using PSI?

The opposite applies to the US. Everything is pretty much in PSI. Talk Bar to your average american diver and you get blank looks.

It doesn't really matter a damn which you use if YOU are happy with both sets of units. Just remember, that if you use PSI and you look at a (buddies) Bar pressure guage without thinking about units you will have a nasty shock! (you see 100Bar, and think 100PSI, you think it is time to quit - your buddy will be thinking something rather different!!!!)

As for getting stuff from the states - DON'T. Pretty much everyone here has found that UK prices are quite a bit cheeper than US ones.

Jon T

Frog,

I ordered the SPG shown on the front of the Extreme Exposure site about a month ago. I finally purchased my TX-100 from the LDS on Monday. The SPG came with a 24" hose already attached, so I was easily able to install this myself. The SPG I ordered also came with a boot on it (snag hazard) -- all I had to to was slide it off over the end of the hose.

Halcyon & Extreme exposure are one and the same entity. Currently you can order products directly from both -- they both have their own web sites. I placed a subsequent order from EE for a long primary reg hose and a 22" short back-up hose last week (just arrived yesterday) and spoke to the guy who took my order about this -- I guess they are reorganizing at Halcyon so that in the near future dealers will deal with Halcyon and retail purchasers like you and me will buy through Extreme Exposure.

Regading the SPG and whether it comes in BAR vs. PSI -- no clue about this one. Uwatec is still making a "new and improved" model of the Master Diver pressure gauge, but I don't like the precision of the markings as much as the old one (see link to new model below).

http://www.uwatec.com/english/framem04.htm

Normally I would agree with Jon's comment about buying things from the states -- things always seem more expensive here in the colonies that across the pond. In this case, since this particular gauge has been discontinued, you may have to buy from here and you may have to live with PSI vs. BAR. As you no doubt noticed, this gauge is not cheap. One more note -- the EE web site says they will charge you more if you order it with a hose.......I paid the "capsule only" charge and the gauge came with hose attached.

Hope this is helpful.

Extreme Exposure e-mailed me back today. I had mailed them asking how much they would charge for postage and packing on a Master Diver SPG and 24" hose attached. I cannot believe that they quoted me $60 (dollars) give or take 10$. Add this to the 140 dollars they want for the SPG and you get a crazy price, especially for a simple pressure gauge. This seems rediculously expensive to me. can anyone else comment? Cheers

Frog --

That's too much for an SPG, no matter how good it is. I would go to uwatec.com and send them an e-mail regarding where you can buy the new Uwatec master diver SPG in the UK. Go take a look at one in a local UK shop -- I have to believe they would be cheaper over there. Although the model may be slightly different that those being sold by EE -- I'm sure it is still a good gauge.

Cheers.

-LD

Large Diver.

They stopped making the Master Diver SPG but apparently Germany may still be making them. I contavted Scubapro UK and Scubapro USA and they told me to contact Scubapro Germany. I havnt had a response as yet from Germany. Apparently the new Scubapro brass SPG (not Uwatec)in the new catologue was found to "stick" at depth. I got this information from 2 different sources including the guys from wkpp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom