Choosing colors of gear based upon underwater visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Once I decide on the type of accessory to buy (lights, fins , etc) I typically buy them in yellow because they are easy to spot on a boat or underwater to a certain depth.

However would it make more sense to purchase them in blue or violet (yech) for example because at increasing depth the colors fade in the following order: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet?

I have read that "Neon colors do not loose their color like spectrum colors do are relatively unaffected".

Any comments will be appreciated.

Sy

Dive gear choice - as Henry Ford described the Model T - is simple:

"You can get any color you want, as long as it's black."

IMO yellow is the way to go.

The color needs to work on several levels. First you need to have the wave length present for good appearance. Just as important is having it be a color that will have good visibility in less than pristine water conditions, this is where yellow excels.

I think you are on the right track.

Pete

I have started buying gear, when available, in light yellow because at zero depth it is the most visible to boats and anyone on the surface. Well maybe second to safety orange, but you don't see a lot of gear in safety orange.

I also go with the light color because regardless of depth and loss of sun light spectrum, you will have a definite contrast. A black wet suit blends in really nicely with a dark reef or rock outcrop making you hard to see.

Also wearing black makes you look like a seal which is the choice meal for sharks around here.

muddiver:
I have started buying gear, when available, in light yellow because at zero depth it is the most visible to boats and anyone on the surface. Well maybe second to safety orange, but you don't see a lot of gear in safety orange.

I also go with the light color because regardless of depth and loss of sun light spectrum, you will have a definite contrast. A black wet suit blends in really nicely with a dark reef or rock outcrop making you hard to see.

Also wearing black makes you look like a seal which is the choice meal for sharks around here.

Practice these tips to avoid attracting seen or unseen sharks from http://www.npca.org/marine_and_coastal/marine_wildlife/avoid_attack.html

-Don't wear contrasting colors or flashing objects :coffee:

Cheers.

-J.-

johnny bravo, i tried your link and it couldn't be found...would have been interesting..i will google it. I have a thing for VIOLET! i just wish i could find more stuff in that color!

Try again. Fixed link.

Cheers.

-J.-

almitywife:
I like yellow :D

I like yellow too.

I've been diving with a few people who used my yellow snorkel to identify me in a scuba crowd. I love my snorkel and I don't want to switch to the boring, black pocket kind! I don't think the sharks are targeting me (okay, okay, there aren't sharks in a quarry, but the quarry monster doesn't seem to notice either).

Is violet purple? My wetsuit is black with purple accents in the torso. Just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom