Spearguns..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tgreaves

Reaction score
What pnumatic spearguns are good ones.. I like a lot of force and accuracy.. dont care how big it is.. any ideas.. tgreaves@remuplk.com

If you dive deeper than 60' you may want to try a band gun.The pnuematics I've tried lost power as they got deeper.There may be exceptions to this tho.

Well, I don't have much experience with air guns but I just have this urge to help everybody out, so....The Italians are the experts on pneumatic guns. Buy one made by an Italian company.

100 days is right, increasing ambient pressure reduces the guns effective head pressure and consequently, the range and power.

I get the feeling you want something that "looks sharp", like Bond, James Bond. Buy Italian.

A bent shaft cannot be reused-get several, get hardened steel. Shaft end seals need inspection. Keep clean. Parts are often hard to come by. Sand is a no-no. Aluminum/stainless construction means silicone grease. Sand is a double no-no. Line releases are problematical, retractable line? Reel mounts are iffy, check it out first. O rings and air bladders or pistons/cylinders mean annual take down, inspection. Lots of fresh water in and out. Cocking handle to carry around and lose. May require an air pump to pre-charge the cylinder or bladder.

http://www.diveinstruction.com.au/images/scorpion.jpg

http://www.cairns-scuba-air.com/mares.htm

The above represent some of the best air hydraulic(pneumatic) guns. The first link is an "Omer" gun.

In my opinion I would much rather have a band gun than pneumatic. Just my preference. I love the AB Biller 48 special I have. It's killed a lot of goruper, amber jack, cobia, and hog fish. Not to mention the once in a while aggressive bull shark. I know guys who use pneumatics and they swear by them. Most of them use a Cressi Sub or a Mares Cryano. My opinion, go with an AB Biller, Rhino, or Riffe. A band gun is just like a sore D#*@, Kind of hard to beat.

I have seen people use the Cresi-Subs down to about 200+ feet and kill some large fish i.e. 100lb groupers and Amber Jacks. However, you might want to buy three, every time it had a problem they had to break it down completely. Those same people are using band guns now, typically a Riffe or JBL.

IMO It is easier to replace a band then break down a pneumatic.

Good Hunting

JSC

Back
Top Bottom