Equipment for Open water certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! I am scheduled to take my first class at the end of July and have been reading with interest this and a few other boards to get as many tips and pointers as I can. I am holding off on any major equipment purchases for now (have to save up) but I have purchased the following on DiversDiscount.com: Genesis Aqua-flex fins, 3mm low top boots, Oceanmaster Equalizer Z2 mask (so I can add prescription lenses in the future), Ocean Master dry snorkel, and a weight belt. I also recently purchased a Timex HUMMER Iron-man watch (water resistant to 200M) which I think should be sufficient as a watch for diving. Any thoughts on whether I will need to purchase anything else for my first class?
With all the reading up I have been doing - I am considering the following additional purchases after I finish the open water class: Apeks TX 50 regulator with T40 Octo, IDI BC, Suunto Spyder wrist-mount computer, and a custom 7mm wetsuit (I'm 6'6" and 350 lbs). Any thoughts on these choices? I probabaly will dive in and around Ohio and in the Carribean. Thanks!
(This was alos posted on the DiversDiscount.com board)

Your initial equipment looks ok to me. I would suggest that you go some where (pool) and try out the mask before hand. Some people have a hard time getting a mask that fits correctly and fighting a leaking mask during your training is not something you want to do. It's just a lot easier to find a mask that fits if you can try on several different styles and brands. For that reason, I feel it makes better sence to buy at a local dive shop. Many will let you "try before you buy" or at least return it. I perfer high top booties myself and I suspect that you will want to get a set as well. Reason being that they are part of the wetsuit system and if you use short ones, they leave a gap between your wetsuit and your feet at the ankle. For warm water, the short ones are fine. As for buying the rest of your equipment ,BC, Reg, Comp,ect, I would suggest that you wait until you have some diving experience under your weightbelt before making any decisions. Determine what your diving style will be - wreck, Tech, warm water only, ice, ect. It takes some time underwater to really determine what type of diving interest you and what your equipment needs will be. A reg/BC that's fine for a 40 ft dive on a tropical reef is no where close to being acceptable for a 100+ ft dive in 32 deg water. Then start looking for suggestions on this and other boards, talk to divers who do the type of diving you are thinking about doing and local shops and see which models you THINK you want. Then rent each one of them, maybe several times and then make up your mind. And by all means, buy high quality gear. High quality dive gear will last for many years so by getting the right gear to do the job you want it to do and buying quality gear the first time, you will not be spending more in the long run ( and having a room full of unused gear). Lastly, buy gear that makes YOU happy, just because other people like band "X" or style "Y", if it does not fit you well or have the features you want then you will never be happy with your choice and this is susposed to be fun. Oh yea, welcome to the board and to diving.

Welcome Martin,
It's easy to get carried away with excitment when starting out.As gear is expensive let me add to Hermie's comments about trying things out.The shop will have rental gear which they will be happy to let you try.Until you master certain skills,you will not necessarily be aware of the differences of the gear.Fit and comfort are no.1 as it is a major problem in new divers struggling with the stress of being uncomfortable.You end up using air faster etc...
Then look at quality and function.As Herman said,where will you dive? Find out the specs on the gear.Most shops have deals with manufacturers and push those models.Do your own research.When I did my course I looked around and bought some items elsewhere and saved heaps.Good luck with the course.You'll have a great time.My advise is to relax and enjoy.Don't try to be the best,Be instead 'you're best'.
Cheers Big Ears,
There can be only one...,
The Gasman

Martin,

Just to underline what Herman said: GET ZIP-UP FULL BOOTS. Those shorty boots do not usually cover the space between your upper foot and your ankle. If you only use a shorty dive suit--and I, for one, do not recommend them in areas that have jellyfish, e.g.--the booties are okay. But for all other wet suits, zip-ups are my choice.

I have tried on a lot of masks and find that the best test is the pool test. Most dive shops have a pool and will let you try their demo in the pool. A note of caution: masks can only take so much beating; be sure the one you try is in good shape; once you make your decision, ask for a new one and try it out(i.e., do not buy thge demo!) Finally, I have found when I travel it is best to keep the mask in that little plastic box it is shipped in. Keep it out in the air at home, buy transport it in the box. And, do not leave on the pool deck or the boat deck--masks can get real finicky when they get kicked around. And, yes, spending lots of time clearing a mask is not the best way to start your diving classes!

Before you but a lot gear, look at what others have and ask questions. Most divers are "proud" of their choices and will tell you about what they like. They will also tell you
about the "disasters" they have experienced.

One more thing...I see fewer and fewer experienced divers with snorkels attached to their masks. I am among those that do not attach a snorkel. My opinion is if you are only doing boat dives, you probably will not need one. If you are doing shore dives that require long swims, you will want one.

This heresy may cause some consternation amongst my betters--especially the ones who make a living selling gear. But some of those critters cost $40.00 or more and if you are just sporting it for looks, that is $40.00 better spent on booties, etc.

Joewr

Greg, it's been a long time since someone called me Hermie, although one Aunt still does. I will have to echo what Joe said about zippers in the booties, a must have. As for snorkles, I have almost totally stopped using them. I found that they were the cause of a lot of my mask leaks and on occasion were pulling the mask strap off my head. If I take them at all, they are strapped on somewhere other than my mask. Martin, another piece of equipment that I really like is a nylon or lycra dive skin. It makes getting a wetsuit on and off a lot easier and is great protection against jelly fish and sunburn in warmer water. Another must have in my book.

While it may be true that you don't necessarily need to attach a snorkel while on scuba, you certainly will get the chance to use it for plain snorkelling. Just because you're diving, don't rule out snorkeling, esp for those whale shark or dolphin encounters where you gotta jump in quick and if you don't have a snorkel, you might miss out. A nice snorkel, cheap as it is, beats out most rental snorkels by a long way for clearing efficiency, etc. I say buy one (and one with a flexible tubed connection between the main tube and the mouthpiece, so it can dangle out of your way if it's not in your mouth).

Cheers,
Simon

I always use it to swim to the descent point.I don't usually
just submerge but use the snorkel to conserve my air.Also,I do alot of beach dives which warrant as much as 400m swim to get to the desired site,and then there's the bus ride back to the beach...heheheh.
Mine's mounted on the left side of my mask on the outside of the strap to minumize the interference.
Cheers All Ears,
The Gasman

I always carry a snorkel in case I get low on air or in the event of a regulator malfunction at the surface, both of which have never happened. I purchased the AVID snorkel from my lds which is made by Akona. It folds in half and fits comfortably in the BC pocket where it remains until needed.

Just my opinion.

Another FNG weighing in on the snorkel commentary. I have to agree with the GasMan on this one. I am still working on air consumption, so the less I can use on the surface, the better. Even in lakes and such, the waves pushed up by boaters can make a short surface swim an unpleasant experience in full gear. Having the snorkel helps quite a bit. In ocean conditions, it can be the same way unless the conditions happen to be particularly calm.

Personally, I'm looking at buying a fold up snorkel I can slip into a BC pocket when I'm not using it :)

Hey, gang,

I must confess that I have been sans snorkel for about a year and have not missed it. I do not use my regulator at all on the surface--to save air for the place where is is in short supply: u/w.

When I have to swim back to the boat or wait for my buddy on the surface, I just lean back, face upwards and breath through my non-snorkeled mouth. I can swim on by back on the surface just fine. Now, I have to admit that in 4 or 5 ft seas, a snorkel might be nice--but just nice, not necessary. I also suspect that some BC's make swimming on one's back a pain. By the way, when you swim on your back, you get great views of any scenery that is around! I loved gazing at Molokini as I waited to get aboard the boat!

So, it looks like this is another personal preference deal. However, the folding snorkel sounds like a good idea as opposed to having something tied to one's mask. But I wonder how long the hinge will last? And how long the seal will last? Let me know, guys an' gals, if you have pbs there...

Nice to back where the waters swirl with controversy!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom