How hard to change from Computer console to Analog gauge console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How hard to change from Computer console to Analog gauge console by yourself in case of comp failure and I still want to dive by switching to the old style gauge consol. Thanks

I assume you mean changing it during a surface interval right?

Mine is pretty easy to change, but I have a rubber boot console and a 'hockey puck' computer in it that is the same size as the gauge. you just pop the computer out, and then pop the depth gauge in.

If you've got a more modern console, it might take more as the depth gauge and computers aren't always the same sizes and not easily interchangable.

or are you talking chaging the entire console out? Then you just take a wrench and loosen the hose, remove entire console, then re attach and tighten about the same as the other one. pretty simple.

make sure the removed console inlet has a dust cover on it.

The entire console and hose from the 1st stage, I was talking about. Thanks, I just hear all the time about possible AI computer failures and I wanted a back up in my bag for just in case.

It takes about 30 seconds and a wrench.

The entire console and hose from the 1st stage, I was talking about. Thanks, I just hear all the time about possible AI computer failures and I wanted a back up in my bag for just in case.

just add some wrenches to your save-a-dive kit, or one of those scuba -multi-tools-

You can buy those as about any LDS for about $15-$25 bucks, or more for the fancier ones.

Note that chances are that your HP and LP lines use a slightly different size wrench. check this when selecting tools for your bag.

By doing this myself will I void any warranty work or any possible with my lds.

By doing this myself will I void any warranty work or any possible with my lds.

in my opinion NO.

the reason is that the regulator is sold seperate with only the first stage and the 2nd stage. Then you buy the console set, and octopus, and attach hose for BC. Even if you bought all these as a package deal, then came as all seperate part numbers and would need attached. If you bought them all at seperate stores, then they definately wouldn't come together.

So you are never working on anything internal on the regulator, just attaching external hoses just like is done anytime you buy a new reg and move over your old console for example.

If your LDS gives you any crap, stand up to them and ask them to show you where it voided the warranty. If they still keep giving you crap, find a new LDS. Any LDS that harrasses a customer instead of supporting it is not worth buying from in my opinion.

chances are your LDS also sells those same "scuba multi tools", so they have no excuse to harrass you as they sell the items for you to do the work yourself.

Thankyou Mike_S, One last thought, I saw a quick disconnet for console puters...can you use the same disconnet to put analogs on with using tools...just use the same hose?

Thankyou Mike_S, One last thought, I saw a quick disconnet for console puters...can you use the same disconnet to put analogs on with using tools...just use the same hose?

Yes you can.... that "quick disconnect" for the computer is really for the HP hose input on hose air integrated computers. The main purpose of that is that you can disconnect the computer, take it over to your computer or chair to view settings/logs, etc, without having to plop the entire regulator down with you.

In this case you could buy two sets of fittings. One for you computer console and one for your analog gauge console and then "quick connect" swap them out.

I think though you'll find you'll rarely swap these out though and that they can be done simply enough with a wrench in just a little extra time and that you really don't need those quick-connects. (just my opinion).

EDIT: Make sure if you buy quick disconnects to buy the HP (High pressure) ones instead of the LP (Low pressure) connectors. the LP connectors are for 2nd stages. the HP ones are for pressure gauges/computers.

Different hoses are the best option. Just remember to start the hose with your FINGERS and continue until it's snug, then snug it up with the wrench. No need (and a bad idea) to crank down hard on the hose with the wrench.
The wrenches in the multi tool are Ok but on occasion the hose is corroded in place or someone really torqued it down and the multi tools just don't get the job done. I prefer a small but quality adjustable wrench instead, individual wrenches are even better. Remember the first stage and hose fitting are brass and not very hard. Poorly fitting wrenches can slip and damage the chrome finish or round off the fittings.

Back
Top Bottom