Equipment Repair Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all. I'd like to put together a basic equipment repair took kit for basic scuba gear. I'd like everyones' suggestions on tools to include please. Thanks a lot!

I like a small quality adjustable wrench; the $.99 ones are too sloppy to suit me and a multi screwdriver....the ones with several changeable bits. Add in a few assorted Orings and that’s about all most folks need in the field. I would also suggest you loosen and retighten all of your hose fitting while at home. Due to some over torque happy techs or corrosion, the connections are sometimes very difficult to remove. In the field, doing an emergency repair is not the time to have to deal with that problem which may take several good quality wrenches to deal with. Same goes for second stage diaphram covers, I like to remove them once in a while to make sure they are not stuck or overly tight. Multi tools are OK but the wrenches in them are pretty poor and will ruin a fitting if it's overly tight.

Your repair kit contents will vary depending on your level of equipment repair expertise. At a minimum you should have:

1 mask strap
1 fin strap
1 snorkel keeper (they are useful for lots of things besides keeping snorkels:))
a couple of spare ss clips
assorted zipties
a small o-ring kit that includes tank valve o-rings and portplug/hose end o-rings
1 brass o-ring pick
1 set of thin wrenches like these
1 small adjustable wrench
1 small screwdriver with multiple tips
1 pair of needle nose pliers
1 pair of emt scissors (can be used to cut all kinds of things including zipties)
1 small set of hex/allen wrenches
1 small tube of aquaseal
1 piece of cave line (nylon string)
1 piece of bungee (1/8" or 3/16")
duct tape (a couple of feet wound around a pencil)
1 roll of self-fusing silicone tape like this

With this stuff you can fix almost anything. You can fit all of this into a hard plastic pencil box and keep it in your dive bag.

Thanks guys. I should clarify something though. I'm not looking for a kit for emergencies or a Sav-A-Dive kit. I dive at the local aquarium and they don't have any tools. With the smallest adjustment the DSO wants to send the gear to a LDS to have it fixed. I took a week-long equipment repair class a few years ago that included everything down to completely overhauling a 1st and 2nd stage. I've forgotten the extremely detailed stuff like the 1st stage so I wouldn't be doing anything like that but I can still adjust a second stage, tighten the valve knob on a tank, tighten loose hoses, change o-rings. I just want to be able to do minor adjustments without having to pay an LDS to do them.

Last edited:
That obviously changes your required tool list. Given that you will be working on gear that others use in a comercial setting, do you have any kind of liability coverage? What brand of equipment will you be maintaining? Were you trained on this brand? I do appreciate that aquarium diving is generally shallow and problems are rare, but one of the reasons to send out gear to shop is to pass the liabilty on to them.

Below is a sample tool list for one brand of equipment:

Inch pounds torque wrench
Foot pounds torque wrench
¼” open end wrench
Modified ¼” open end wrench
½” open end wrench
9/16” open end wrench
5/8” open end wrench
11/16” open end wrench
¾” open end wrench
13/16” open end wrench
1” open end wrench
Standard screwdriver, small
Needle nose pliers
¼” nut driver
3/32” hex key
5/32” hex key
¼” hex key
5/16” hex key
¾” deep wall socket
1” deep wall socket
3/8” drive socket
O-ring picks
Front cover tool
IP gauge
Magnahelic gauge
End cap tool
Filter Circlip pliers
Retaining nut tool
Schrader valve tool
Poppet Tool
In-line adjustment tool
Cotton swab
Soft jawed vise

This list doesn't include the necessary tools for tank/valve maintenance, just basic reg stuff.

I have not been in active status for a little while now so I'm a bit foggy on liability. Is this type of liability usually covered in instructor liability insurance or would this be an add-on coverage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom