Nitrox –Blender Panel or Membrane ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry M

Reaction score
I Commercially fish swimming Scallops using divers down to a depth of 90ft in British Columbia Canada … A usual dive profile is 2 dives a day, 30 minutes each with an hour interval…I’ve not used Nitrox before except on the Nitrox course …because I live in an Isolated area (Gulf Islands) it’s not practical to get Nitrox Here… I have my own Compressor a 9.2 K14 Bauer … I’m going to Purchase the Equipment for making my own … what is the best method….. Blender Panel with Oxygen or Membrane? the Membrane is more expensive but seems the better safer way to go .does anyone know who sells Membranes in Canada ?
Thanks
Larry

Find someone with a membrane system and talk to them before going that route. From what I'm told it is a real big pain in a** unless you'll only be diving 1 mix, then it's a dream. They say it takes alot of adjusting and testing to change the mix. But if you want only 1 mix, you get it set for that mix and your good to go. It's ideal in that situation.

Larry,

Stay away from the Nitrox stick. Most people are no longer making them as they can back flow into your compressor and blow it up. My friend in Washington State had that happen to him. Membranes are WAY to expensive. Sometimes you need to look back and do what the old timers did....partiap pressure blending. You need a O2 clean block, digital pressure guage, fill whip and a way to measure the O2 in you tank....and your are readyu to go. You need to have your air tested for O2 compatability. If you have OCA air you are in business for $3,000.00. I have been blending this way for a long time, my technical instructor/friend has been doing this for 15 years. I give my customer on the money fills day in and day out.

Good Luck!

Chris

Chris wrote:

"Stay away from the Nitrox stick. Most people are no longer making them as they can back flow into your compressor and blow it up."

There is only one manufacturer of the Nitrox Stik. There are a number of other people trying to make them. What I have seen from all but one of these knockoffs is someone that does not know what they are doing. With a ripoff clone you usually get one that will not provide complete mixing and you can get a stream of pure O2 going INTO your compressor. (The stik is placed upstream so it can not "backflow" into the compressor.) Pure O2 in a compressor can cause an explosion. The Nitrox Stik was extensively tested and came through with flying colors.

"My friend in Washington State had that happen to him."
Provide contact information so we can determine if it was really a Nitrox Stik or a clone.

"Membranes are WAY to expensive."
Agreed and the performance is limited.

"Sometimes you need to look back and do what the old timers did....partial pressure blending. You need a O2 clean block, digital pressure guage, fill whip and a way to measure the O2 in you tank....and your are ready to go. You need to have your air tested for O2 compatability. If you have OCA air you are in business for $3,000.00."

For $3,000 this is way too much for a digital gauge, whip and oxygen analyzer. I can get top line stuff for $1,000.

"I have been blending this way for a long time, my technical instructor/friend has been doing this for 15 years. I give my customer on the money fills day in and day out. "

I don't doubt it, but you forgot to mention that you need more than one tank (in fact multiple tanks), and you can never get all of the O2 out when PP blending. With a continuous blending setup you only need one tank of O2 and you can use all of it. You can get a complete setup for less than the $3,000 mentioned as well.

I still do PP blending for my 50%. All of the other stuff is by continuous blending including trimix. The continuous blending is also a lot safer than PP mixing.

omar

Thanks for the input ..it's been a great help with all of the information given .... have contacted a number of dealers who sell the Membrane, blender panels and the stick .. Will let you all know what I decide and the reasons for my decision
Thanks much
Larry

After looking at all the different Nitrox Setups …Blender panel, the stick and Membrane I decided to go with the Membrane… My main reason is were I live getting Oxygen is a problem …Membranes are safer … easier to use (once you have the Mix you want) they are a little more complicated in that you need a low volume compressor 100 –200 psi… this allows for filling of bottles at the same rate as without Nitrox
I did contact all the people who sell each system and got all the info .. the Membrane is certainly more expensive but after adding up all the costs it’s only a few thousand more and worth it to me …..thanks for everyone’s comments …it helped a lot
Larry

interesting.....
Didn't know that getting gas was a problem. In that situation membrane makes a lot of sense. But it makes me wonder what do you do in case of an emergency? The best course of action is to administer O2 and then get them to a chamber. Where do you get the O2 for the emergencies?

omar

Omar
Getting the bends is not cool ..I've had them once ..getting the bends in Canada at least to be treated in the Vancouver chamber is a tragic story in itself
for one freind
I'm going to post his story at Scuba Board in the proper forum so people can be aware of the situation here ...I've been involved with 4 bends cases from commercial diving over the last 25 years ...a freind who did a sport dive and got bent is still suffering the effects 5 years later due to mistakes at the hospital were the chamber is ..
I carry oxygen (small bottle)on the boat right next to the DAN book ....if you do take a hit then the coast gaurd is very quick to respond so getting to the hospital were the chamber is in a reasonable amount of time is not the issue ..getting in the chamber is... emergency room Doctors may not be Knowledgeable about the bends and the subtle Symptoms that can go with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom