Best Time to buy ScubaGear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danthemanj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm newly certified and am looking to buy my own gear. I'm based out of NJ but won't be doing too much diving locally. I was thinking of getting the ScubaPro KnightHawk or Classic Plus BC with an Air 2 and a MK25/S600 regulator setup. With the deal that ScubaPro currently has, I would get an Alladin Prime dive computer for free.

What is the best time to buy this kind of gear. Do retailers have holiday discounts or package deals when you are buying so many products? I know ScubaPro regulates the pricing of their products but they've got to allow for at least one sale day in a year for the retailers.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

I get myself into trouble because I believe that every day is a good day to spend all your money on Scuba Gear.

Actually, I think that every shop will be different however Holiday's do traditionally bring sales. Perhaps you should call around and see how the current deal compares (dollar for dollar of what you are receiving) before deciding to wait or buy now. If the shop is already attractively priced before the free computer then I would personally go for it. But then, my will power where scuba gear is involved is not the best. No matter what, if you buy it and you enjoy using it......then it was a good deal for you.

Hi,

I'm newly certified and am looking to buy my own gear. I'm based out of NJ but won't be doing too much diving locally. I was thinking of getting the ScubaPro KnightHawk or Classic Plus BC with an Air 2 and a MK25/S600 regulator setup. With the deal that ScubaPro currently has, I would get an Alladin Prime dive computer for free.

What is the best time to buy this kind of gear. Do retailers have holiday discounts or package deals when you are buying so many products? I know ScubaPro regulates the pricing of their products but they've got to allow for at least one sale day in a year for the retailers.

Thanks,

Dan

Out of the 2 stores that I have spoken to, 1 won't sell below MSRP. If you mention the word discount or package deal, they react as if you've abused them. The other store offerred me 10% off MSRP but I'm sure they can do better than that on a fairly large purchase.

If you know exactly what you want (sizing included), you should also try someone like Scuba Toys or Prime Scuba or some of the larger on-line locations. I believe in supporting your LDS but only up to a small premium. These stores are actual brick and mortar stares as well so if they are better priced on the same items then your LDS does not deserve the sale (IMHO). You need to make that call because you are the one that will need to get air fills etc. and onbviously either need a compressor for yourself (I wish I could surprise her with that in my garage - you would be readng about me in the Suba Accidents section if I purchased a compressor :rofl3:) or.....well there is no or. You either need the LDS or a compressor.

I would be honest with the one who seems negotiable (have you confirmed and know for fact he is 10% off MSRP or is it possible he is fluffing the MSRP number?)....tell them where you are at in your thought process and what you are looking to get. You need to know what you can pay elsewhere to know if it is a good deal. I would personally just source and negotiate the heck out of it now rather than waiting (unless you know for sure those models will be on sale).

Like I said, my opinion is, as long as you know what you are geting into, you buy something, you use it and you enjoy it.....then IMHO it was a good purchase.

Out of the 2 stores that I have spoken to, 1 won't sell below MSRP. If you mention the word discount or package deal, they react as if you've abused them. TYPICAL The other store offerred me 10% off MSRP but I'm sure they can do better than that on a fairly large purchase.

Every day is sale day if you deal with the right brick and mortar. Most name brand package sales are driven by 2 factors. The MFG or the economy. Right now you have both in your hand.
1. Ask to speak to an instructor or manager, most counter personnel do not have the authorization to wheel and deal.
2. Ask if they price match. THIS IS BIG. we do not like to do it but will work with you if it means the sale. Typically expect a comprable match plus shipping cost if it is an internet site you are matching.
3. We ARE limited by some MFG on the discount under MSRP we can give, however if you are flexable we can mix and match items we can discount deeper. That is why ScubaPro is the Cadillac of Dive Equip. They force their dist. into carrying only them, than set the price.
If you decide to purchase other than Scubapro, drop me a line, we do internet sales as well as have a brick and mortar and price match. I can get Oceanic, Aqualung, Sherwood, Mares, Suunto.
4. Usually the MFG come out with the next years sales packages or deals right after DEMA in Oct.
Good Luck!

The Scubapro deal on the package is a good deal, but remember, the prime is not air integrated, and a gauge console is still recommended, that being said, you can decline the prime and get the discount on a scubapro gauge console IMHO the better option. Do not be afraid to print pages from online retailers and see if your LDS will price match, some will, some won't, and some will match plus shipping. Scubapro is some of the best equipment out there, and I own the Knghthawk andwould highly recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality back inflate, weight integrated BC. I reallly love my twinjet fins too, but they don't walk on water and there are other high quality companies out there, I own a lot of Aqualung and Mares equipment also and they are very high quality companies IMHO.

Best time to buy scuba gear?

When you have the money.

Serioulsy, the sooner you get the gear, the sooner you will start using it. Shop around, look on eBay, ask for better deals then buy it.

Remember this as well, since this is your first setup, you will either end up using it a few times then letting it rot in the closet, then selling it on eBay or you will use it like crazy and determine that a completely different setup will be better. One way or the other, the original stuff will end up on eBay so you may as well buy your first setup there.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dan

End of year - tax time. Inventory on hand means more money to the government.

This is my observation. The best time to buy dive gear is in January, February, maybe March. That's when I see the sales at places like Diver's Direct. Aeris Atmos II Nitrox computer was $190 and steel 100's were $249. A smaller chain in Florida, Scuba Quest, always had a Washington's Birthday sale with 20% off, including tanks.

None of the equipment I see on discount is Scubapro. Locally, if you want that brand, you always pay full list price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom