opinions on communication units?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.P.

Reaction score
I need opinions on what people think about being able to talk underwater. Would you like it? Do you want the ability to tell your buddy "LOOK AT THAT EEL" or "your tank is loose", for instructors it is really needed, but what about the every day divers.

J.P.

I think it's great! Not only from a "Cool factor" stand point but from a saftey standpoint. Eventually I think it will be the future wave in Scuba Diving.

If you're looking to purchase underwater communications I can point you to a site that has what I personally use and can assure you it comes VERY highly reguarded as basically the best of the best:
http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com

I can tell you this much, these are the same units that many of the Special Forces units around the world use. Additionally these masks, such as the well known Aga Mask, make for GREAT visibility!

There have certainly been times when I wished I could talk under water, to draw my buddies attention to something, to just say "Hey, look at that cool Cleaner Shrimp!" without trying to come up with an impromptu hand signal for it. How do you make your hand look like a shrimp?! But a pointed finger and the 'Too cool' sign covers it.

And I can more than understand the usefulness of com units from a safety stand point. But...one of the things I love most about being underwater is the lack of human communication. I'd even get rid of the sound of my bubbles if I could so all I'd hear are the clicks of shrimps and crabs, the sonar beeps from the dolphins and my own excited heartbeat.

We have hand signals that cover most any safety issue and if we have some problem not previously covered, it's simple...we end the dive. So even the safety factor doesn't apply to me.

So at this stage, I'd have to say leave the ability to talk on land.

My .02 worth
Dee

I'd have to agree with Dee. I have found myself wishing I could tell my buddy something but there is usually a hand signal to cover it. I like getting away from all the jibber jabber and just listening to the underwater world. I do feel communication devices have their place in rescue missions, underwater work, cave diving, and other non-casual diving experiences though.

It basically comes down to "to each their own"

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

JP,

I dont know what happened there but it looked like a few of the post got mixed together and your post was in ALL CAPS.

I couldn't make heads or tails of it to fix it so I deleted it and wanted to ask you if you could repost your msg.

Thanks,

=-)

Originally posted by jenmichigan
I'd have to agree with Dee. I have found myself wishing I could tell my buddy something but there is usually a hand signal to cover it. I like getting away from all the jibber jabber and just listening to the underwater world. I do feel communication devices have their place in rescue missions, underwater work, cave diving, and other non-casual diving experiences though.

It basically comes down to "to each their own"

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com
Just want to clarify for a moment,

When I said it comes down to "to each their own" I wanted to clarify my statement. I didn't mean to each their own safety. I meant I didn't feel there was a right or wrong opinion on the usuage of these devices. It just comes down to what makes each person feel comfortable in the situation their in.

Jennifer

I have logged over 1500 dives and have seen, a lady die. I love most of the high dollar com units but they cost way too much money for the average diver, plus most of them have problems. Battries and electronics are the main problem. I am going to the US SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER to train the staff with Scuba Voice. They use really expensive units but have alot of problems. Also they want something any diver can afford and use with ease.
I'm not trying to SELL you one, just open your mind to a new possibility. We have over 50 Search & Rescue Teams using it and now the Space Center and several Aquirams around the states will be. I wanted opinions and I got some, that is what I wanted but do not want people to think this is TOY! Like the test teams said..."it will help people have more fun, and make diving allot safer." Any person who has witnessed another diver FREAK OUT underwater will totally understand. Any diver who video's can now totally narriate the dive while diving. We have 8 more products coming out this next year that are even better and not for talking!

Thanks for the input.

J.P.

Uh oh, It's my turn to attack Dee and Jen ...

Well, ok, I'm not really attacking them but... it's a great way to open up a topic and catch peoples attention, hehe.

Underwater Communication...
Love it or hate it, it's here to stay... As I peer into my Aquatic Crystal Caldron, I forecast 2 waves for the Future of Scuba...

1) Underwater Communications ...

Although I cannot help but agree with BOTH Dee and Jen, that much of what turned me to love scuba the way I do is the tranquility and serenity that you experience while diving, I also cannot ignore the "Cool Factor", that Military Diver mentioned, and even more so, the "Saftey Factor". Hopefully they will someday come out with and include a "SHHHHH!" button, hehe. Just look at what the HAM radio did to hobbiest, or the CB Radio did for Truckers or the telephone did for women (OUCH! LadyDiver just smacked me good for that one, hehe) or the Internet has done for computer geeks like me!

I am very familiar with the OTS gear that Military Diver mentioned, and would also agree that their equipment is "Head and Sholders" above the rest (ok, ok, that is another $0.02). As I have mentioned before, my opinions are influenced by many factors, such as:
  • Naval Research and Testing Reports
  • My Military experiences
  • My Civilian experiences
  • Word of mouth from people like those within this forum or
  • Talking to those I have been diving with

But that is not to say I am also interested in what J.P. has mentioned. J.P., Do you have a URL for us to check out? I, for one, am always interested in the NEW things that hit the market and welcome discussion on it if anyone has used certain equipment. I don't want these boards to become a advertising arena but I do think that civil and educational discussion is to everyones benefit.

2) Open/Semi/Closed Circuit Rebreathers ...

Smaller, lighter, longer, deeper, what more can I say? Aren't these all things that we all want?

=-)

As long as it's allin good fun....

I agree, in the future, u/w comm units will probably be the norm. And I agree with King Neptune and J.P. on the safety issues raised. And yes, J.P. I have seen someone freak out underwater and a comm unit would not have done any good in that situation.

J.P. asked..."Would you like it? Do you want the ability to tell your buddy "LOOK AT THAT EEL" or "your tank is loose", for instructors it is really needed, but what about the every day divers." And to answer his question... No, I wouldn't like one as an every day diver. However I did not say I couldn't see a use for them, just not for me at this stage of the game.

That said, as a Divemaster working in very low-vis water most of the time, it would be nice to communicate with the Instructor and other DM's on a class dive. And if figure out a way that the dive shop will provide these units, I will be happy to give it a try!

Dee

I asked for reply's and I'm very happy for them. We know this is not for everyone and I love what King neptun said. I get very touchy on the need factor because I've seen so many idiots in the water doing stupid things, putting everyone including themselves at danger. For dive masters, and instructors this is almost a must. I've dove with all the major magazine testors and they all agree that it is great and not vor EVERY diver.

I know that like BC's, computers, and new tec gear people at first said NO WAY! One of the top guys with Scuba Pro said it took millions of dollars in advertising just to get the first real BC to get off the ground, because people were not use to it. I did not get on the site to try to sell any one a Scuba Voice but to let people know there is a way to help communicat underwater without electronics, battries, or listening devices. We have just got ready to advertise and have not done any ads yet so I wanted to hear from divers like you to see which direction we need to go and I know we are in the right direction now going to the Rescue Teams, Aquarium's, and The Space Center.

Thank you all for the imput.

J.P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom