Dive Gear Soooo confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3645

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So 2 weeks ago my wife and finally went and got our open water certification we both loved it and are planning to do it as often as possible. We live in South Florida and have a place in Key Largo so access to great diving is not a problem. But after spending this past weekend shopping for dive gear our heads are spinning. Right now we have narrowed it down to either Aqua Lung or ScubaPro. Dive shops are always going to say that the product line they carry is the best. I would just like to hear from some other divers as to what they think?

I think both brands are very good, with great reputations. I use Scubapro, and am biased towards it. I have never had an opportunity to try out Aqua Lung, except my 25 year old dive knife. I doubt you can go wrong with either one. I personally tend to buy the best I can afford. You are in the right category.

My 20 YO SP Mark 10 & G200 are still clicking along just perfectly......if that helps out any...

I really like Aqua lung :)

Which shop do you like doing business with more-that might be the deciding factor-unless one carries both brands...

yes, I've got a mark V too, my personal favorite... but that means he might want to buy the BLING... lets see if we can get more information here... Budget, and other information as outlined below.

The bottom line, any equipment that will get you diving safely is better than nothing at all. Everyone has personal preferences, and you need to rent to try out various types of equipment for your style of diving. Many dive shops rotate, I think 20% of their equipment as current model stuff, so getting wet with it should be possible. If I had an opportunity I would gladly try the Aqua Lung just out of curiosity, I would hate to think I was missing something.

I suggest you start at your local dive shops if you need a little hand holding. I say shops, because every shop pushes a specific brand, and you can probably take the sum of several shops and make more sense of it.

Ordering online is great if you know what you want, but until you have some experience, sometimes it is better to have a local place to go that you can rely on. Many folks offer packages, some probably ok, some probably not. If you want to really determine the exact correct equipment here, then you need to post enough information here so that someone can make some judgements on your planned diving style.

The type of information that might be useful is where you will be diving (Florida?) - and the type of diving you will be doing, like wreck, or if you plan on getting technical (cave) a short distance down the road, etc. How many dives a year might you be doing? The right choice for first, second stage you use for example might depend on water temperature, work load and so on.. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but thoughts and specifics along those lines might help narrow down your choices, and help make the answer become obvious. It might well be worth the work, considering some decent mid to high end equipment that is well maintained could last you 10 or more years.. All of that being said... you can ignore the rest of this post, it is not for you. With this information some folks will give you some great suggestions and ideas. Ultimately it's like buying a car, try them out until you find one you like, the style, the power, the bling, etc. You really cannot lose with scubapro in my opinion.

You might also look at Zeagle. They have the best warranty in the business, and they are right there in Zephyrhills. I love my 50D reg and b/c.

I have regs from both brands which I use regularly.

At a specific price point I would say were it not for the different mouth pieces I wouldn't be able to tell them apart just from the way they breath at the surface or at the depths I dive to (above 30m).

There is a noticeable difference between cheep and expensive regs and poorly maintained and well looked after. So spend as much as you can afford to and look after them.

As long as the reg is from one of the big brands, you get it serviced regularly and the intermediate pressure and cracking resistance are set right I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong.

I'd go with Scubapro or Apeks. Make sure a local shop can do the annual maintenance on the regs you buy, it will make your life easier.

Another vote for Zeagle. There top notch. And if you have a issue you can contact Scott directly form scubbaboard. As mentioned, there service is unequaled. Great products too.

I have a Scubapro dry bag and an Aqualung folding snorkel, but that's as far as I went with either Aqualung or Scubapro.

There are way too many gears out there for the same price or less but have better quality and performance.

Back
Top Bottom