What size HP tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooperman1516

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my tanks to HP steel, and wanted to get some thoughts. I am moving more and more towards tech/wreck diving and wanting to maximize bottom time. I am also thinking of dual tank setup in the near future. My question is what size tank would be best suited for this type of diving, 100's, 130's? Also I hear good things about Worthington, any thoughts on them? Thanks in advance-

130's unless your diving a site that is either a difficult entry or a long walk. If your comfortable carrying them you will be very happy with this tank. I've got a Faber and I wouldn't rush out to buy another.

Like all things great...it depends.

First, I assume you won't be diving alone (tech/wreck), so you buddies gas will limit you. Next, you may carry staging/deco bottles so large volume really isn't an issue. Finally, you have to carry it. There's a 10lb (25%) difference int tanks you mentioned, not counting air.

Give some thought to it, how much extra air do you need? You should also have this conversation with whom ever will be handling your classes. They'll have a better idea what you'll be doing.

Mike

0-24 dives into certification and your already going tech and wreck penetration? I know your excited, but pace your self a bit. a tech rig is a lot more than a pair of big tanks, truthfully, tanks are the cheapest part of a tech rig. from what I can see on your profile, you don't even have your Advanced OW, much less Rescue certs that come long before joining a solo diver course, tech course, or a wreck penetration course. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I have seen many many people buy tanks thinking they are going to start tech diving because it sounds cool, then they never make it and end up selling me their unused steel tanks.
Keep the enthusiasm, but temper the credit card for a little while, get your AOW, Rescue, a handful of specialty courses. Then go get hot into tech, once you know what your doing in the tech arena, you'll know what you need to buy to best suit your diving, not what the masses thinks you'll need

This isn't going to help you at all.

I have both HP100s (Faber) and HP130s (Worthington).

I started off with the 130's because I am a bit of an air hog. Last year I got my wife some 100's because they were the same physical size of an AL80 and it would get a bunch of lead off of her belt.

I really like the physical characteristics of the 100s. They are not as heavy as the 130's and not as big.

Currently I've found when I'm working with students, almost done with DM, I can use my 130 and not have to change it during the day.

I'm going to FL/Bahamas next week and when I get back, I'm going to double up the 100's.

It put a similar question up about which of my tanks to double and the 100's came back as very popular.

I am looking to upgrade my tanks to HP steel, ... I am moving more and more towards tech/wreck diving and wanting to maximize bottom time. I am also thinking of dual tank setup in the near future.
If you want to maximize bottom time with a single tank, a HP130 is a logical choice. I have seen (and lifted) a HP149, but never been in the water with one, so I can't comment on weight and trim characteristics. But, 130s as single tanks are very stable in the water, as are 100s. I usually don't recommend 120s unless you are of above average height (taller than 6'2"), athough I personally like them. When you look at doubling tanks up, double 100s are really great tanks! For wreck diving in the 100-130' range where you are looking for a little more bottom time, they are quite nice, in terms of weight, trim, and gas supply. Double 120s are heavier and long. Double 130s are even heavier, but are a common set for technical diving. As for Worthingtons, they are considered (positively) by some to be the successor to PST for HP steels. I have some (double 130s) and I like them (I prefer hot dip galvanized tanks). You may get some positive feedback on Fabers as well.

.....before you get too excited about dual HP 130's, see if you can get your hands on such a twinset, and see how heavy they will be...imagine schlepping those around topside...imagine reboarding a dive boat in choppy seas in them....maybe not so fun! Single HP 130's are fine....double HP 100's are also managable....dual HP 130's...YUCK ! YMMV

I have one set of Double 130's and several sets of Double AL 80's. I went with the 130's just to be on the same page with my fellow divers. Dive planning helps when everyone has the same volume of gas. They weigh 122 lbs filled with gas. That's a mother load of weight for my 140 lb rear end to carry. Not to mention, you still have the backplate, the Argon bottle, and all your accessories. If I am doing multiple dives, I would rather bring several sets of Double 80's on a boat than to lug the 130's. It takes 10 minutes to swap out your regulators, backplate, and bladder. Is the convenience of not needing to switch tanks from one dive to the next all that important to strain yourself? Bottom line, the more serious you get into tech diving the more tanks you will own. One benefit of AL, you almost never need to tumble them. Just O2 clean.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, you have provided me with good points...Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom