Path to the Hogarthian Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleggo

New
Reaction score
For the divers who have decided that the Hogarthian way is the correct gear configuration, did you gradually change your current setup or did you change everything at once?

I know the current set up I have is imperfect, e.g. Jacket BCD, short hoses, split fins, console computer. I have recently moved my computer and compass to my wrists and currently looking at BP+wings. I plan to slowly convert my setup when I am comfortable and have the money, but this will not stop me diving my current configuration.

I am interested in your experiences.

For those who came in late:
Hogarthian - a minimal gear configuration characterised by a long hose, backplate + wings, bungeed secondary, etc. Developed further by GUE (www.gue.com) into DIR (doing it right).

It was mostly one step at a time. The BP/Wings came first, and then the fins. Next was the hose setup. The computer I have is already a wrist mount.

Now, I have yet to convert everything I've got. I still need to get a wrist boot for my compass, and some other things.

Converting your setup probably isn't as expensive as you think. Buying all the Halcyon or DIR recommended gear (i.e. - Canister light, Apeks/Scubapro Regs, etc.) is what gets expensive....especially when you look at the prices for some of the serious tech stuff.

Best of luck to you. You won't be disappointed. :wink:

I did it fairly gradually. I'd been renting/borrowing gear for ages. I bought a set of apeks regs in the traditional configuration first, then I bought a used wing and made an aluminium backplate. I sold the triple console that came with my regs and bought a single spg. I already had a wrist mount computer/gauge so I bought a dive timer and a compass. I built another, better backplate (I will buy a stainless steel one soon) and bought a long hose. Recently I have been swapping over my other hoses one by one. Only the spg hose to go.

I'm working on my lighting at the moment and considering the jet fins. A couple of the chaps in my club have them so I'll borrow some soon.

Step one...gauges to wrists, console removed entirely, long hoses swapped out. Luckily Suunto consoles are modular so I just had to remove the compass for a wrist mount and the console body just pops off the SPG.

Step two...Jet Fins

Step three...BP/Wings

The way I did it, I was diving "Hogarthinan" in terms of hose routing before I changed everything else out. I sincerely believe that the long hose set-up is optimal and is relatively inexpensive to tryout. Once I did it, I wouldn't go back.

The fins were next, way more control.

The BP/Wings were when I could afford to do it.

are not to be underestimated.

I could never manage to get a completely comfortable "fit" for the "traditional" hose setup. Either the reg would "push" when I turned my head to the right, or "pull" when turned to the left. Irrespective of how I routed hoses or which I used where, with the "standard lengths" I just could NOT get a completely comfortable fit.

With the 7' long hose around my pouch and then half-around the neck, there is enough "give" in the routing so that this simply doesn't happen. I get NO pull in any position, ever.

The comfort factor alone was enough for me to swear off the "standard" way of doing things. The other issues, like always knowing where my backup is, and being able to get to it without using my hands, were a bonus.

I am moving to the 7' hose largely for comfort reasons. The other benefits are a bonus.

I am generally moving towards hogarthian configuration. I love the streamlining. There is nothing outside my shoulders or below my bungeed octo now.

Hwever - I am very unlikely, as a warm water ND diver, to go 'all the way'.

I am too attached to both my computer and my split fins.....

a computer and split fins, but my computer has moved to my wrist - I find that I like it on the right wrist better anyway (left hand is for the BC inflator)

After I dove a BP/Harness set up and saw for myself how much more streamlined, efficient and flexible it was, I changed everything. Mostly just hose lengths since my computer and compass were already on my wrist. My fins were fine to begin with so I still use the same ones. Th BP/Harness seems to be the pivotal change with going Hogarthian. Once that change is done the others fall into place. The BP/Harness is the core of the Hogarth rig, after all. ZG

I was lucky. My OW instructor was, and is DIR and I got a chance to try out the BP/wings/long hose before wasting money on what everyone else does first.

Now he's a DIR instructor and my dive buddy, so I'm glad I did!

Yes you were lucky detroit. I went the route of many others, buying a trad BC first, discovering the BP/Harness as my diving progressed, then finally abandoning the trad bc completely. Of course, I didn't do this until I had spent PLENTY of $$$$!! I had no one to show me the way! lol :D ZG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom