Miflex HP failure (again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the start of the year I had a 24" Miflex HP hose blow up (about five minutes after it had been pressurised and after about 60 dives):

4261782164_261814d5ee.jpg

I got a replacement from Miflex free, and as I was one of the first to have problems I thought maybe I just got unlucky and decided to stick with them.

However the replacement blew last night in similar circumstances - it was on my single setup (so completely different gear), showed no signs of wear and had done about 130 dives. It blew up about five minutes after pressurisation on my gear as we were gearing up. It blew near the crimp and at one other place in the hose. I can take a picture later and post if anyone is interested (I got back from diving at 1am last night so couldn't be bothered!)

So anyway, I DO NOT RECOMMEND! I think they are super dodgy and I will not use another HP hose from Miflex. My LP reg + inflator hoses are holding up well after about 400 dives however so it seems to be just problems with HP hoses.

Yes, we saw one go on our Philippines trip a few weeks back. Exploded when the bottle was turned on.

Definitely a "not so much" rating from me when coupled with multiple other reports of similar.

I never quite understood the benefit anyway. It's not a hose I would like flopping about. While you are at it Sas, ditch that SPG boot. Negates any weight savings the Milflex hose offered...

I never quite understood the benefit anyway. It's not a hose I would like floppy about. While you are at it Sas, ditch that SPG boot. Negates any weight savings the Milflex hose offered...

Oh I got it on a whim as it was new fangled, not because of weight savings :wink:

And I like the boot, it protects my SPG! :)

Because of threads like this about the HP Miflex Hoses I went with a Innovative SCUBA Concepts Phantom HP hose from Dive Gear Express. From comparison posts it has a larger outer diameter like a regular hose, to fit boots and consoles better, and apparently will still swivel under pressure.

Miflex now has hose protectors that are supposed to help with the failures at the crimp points. I am going to stick with my HP hoses just to see how long it will last. Hoping it will stand up for a while...

Miflex now has hose protectors that are supposed to help with the failures at the crimp points. I am going to stick with my HP hoses just to see how long it will last. Hoping it will stand up for a while...

Both mine have failed at a number of points on the hose.

If you plan to keep yours on, always have a spare with you and the tools to swap your HP hose. But I really wouldn't recommend keeping your Miflex HP... :wink:

Sas, could you post a close up of the ruptures? I'm just curious to see how it failed. It looks like it ruptured in three spots...

Sas, could you post a close up of the ruptures? I'm just curious to see how it failed. It looks like it ruptured in three spots...

The one in the first post, I no longer have as it was given back to the store I bought it from to send to Miflex.

The hose that blew last night I will take close ups of and post when I get home from work in a few hours. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom