Snap Shackles & Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave616

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
They look like they'd be more difficult to operate with one hand.

They seem to be approx $10 each. HERE They're designed for sailing, not scuba.

I just can't think of any scuba diving application that they would be optimal for.

I have a few tactical weapon slings with snap shackles and it's a somewhat nice quick release feature for a weapon.
I wasn't sure if there was anything in the diving world that would require a quick release.

It seems like one would exceed the point of diminishing returns when you are using a $40 snap shackle when compared to a $4 bolt snap.

Use snap shackles on my lanyard for clipping into the floor of helos and thats a rare event.

This is the type of shackle that is commonly used for the spinnaker sheets on a sail boat. They are designed to hold large loads and to be able to be opened while under load. They are useful for many rigging applications both on the boat and underwater. An example of a good application would be on a lift bag to attach a load that could be easily dropped in an emergency. I have seen many commercial divers use them for things like hanging tools to their diving rigs. To make it easier to open the shackle, a short, thick lanyard is usually tied into the release trigger.

Bolt snaps are good for most diving applications but are not intended for heavy loads and cannot be released under load.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom