Neoprene booties for skinny legs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been desperately searching for a pair of neoprene booties that fit me. I have a size 10 (US) foot and am about 135lbs. I have tried and purchased 7 different brands/models of booties only to find that either that my foot fit well but I had way too much space around my ankle or calf (enough for water to get in and roll the socks down or off) or the opposite-where the foot area was too small, but my ankle and calf fit tight.

Are there any other guys or gals with thin gams who have found either a brand of booties with some elasticity or ones designed for someone shaped less like a manatee (kidding...)?

Have the wetsuit people remove some material and re stitch the zipper.

Well that is the obvious option, but not the most fiscally rational one. Having someone tailor and restitch the booties to my spec is going to cost way more than the booties themselves.

I am particularly looking for booties that are more "sock-like" without the treads or a sole on the bottom. Preferably 3mm or less.

MAKO Spearguns - Freedive Socks

These are inexpensive and comfortable. Depending on the water temperature, neoprene booty size and the size and shape of the fin footpocket, you might be able to wear this neoprene sock under the boot. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

Also, you can easily cut your own boots and reglue them yourself. It is not hard. I would use glue and then use this iron on material over the reglued seam.

Glue:
MAKO Spearguns - Wetsuit Glue

Iron-on seam tape:
MAKO Spearguns - Iron On Patch

@DD - The Mako booties looks like they just might do the trick, thanks. I've actually reshaped a pair of NRS booties that had one of the worst fits around my thin calf. I used kevlar thread with a liberal dose of Aquaseal on top. This has been my working pair for the past couple of years, but now they are wearing out and I need to get another pair. I'll give the Makos a try.

@Doubler - I've tried that. I've also tried using two dive knife ankle straps cinched up tight. No matter what, there seems to be a pocket of water that gathers and creates drag as I kick around.

There is a scubapro boot that is super skinny at the ankle... I can't remember which one. Molded Sole maybe? If not then it was a henderson.

But I second the sock idea, I haven't used full boots in years. Cureently usinf the Riffe sock with a thin rubber sole, lasts loger than just neoprene on the base.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom