Hookah Diving equipment quesiton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keatingiv

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all,

I had a quick question for anyone who may be able to answer it. Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this question. I am looking at different hookah systems primarially to clean an 8 to 15 foot deep pool that has some issues. I will be down for several hours at a time. Utilizing traditional dive equipment will be too costly. At 8 bucks a fill, I would be able to buy a hookah system for that amount of time I am talking. I have been throughout this board pretty thoroughly. I am not interested in building my own; honestly I am too lazy and have no time. Ive been looking at the Brownies systems and the in-line lines, however, they are just too expensive for the amount of use this equipment will get.

I was on ebay this morning, and I noticed that there is a company called Hookamax and a competitor scubapump. I've seen the name on this site in several threads, but I would appreciate advice from someone with exepertise in this area. The units are competively priced, however after doing a little bit of research, I have a hankering that the compressors that they use are off the shelf oiless campbell hausfeld compressors, some sort of FDA approved breathable air hose and what looks like an octo reg attached to a standard weight belt with a coule of carabeaners.

Does anyone have any experience or own one of these units? The informations is greatly valued.

I did a lot of research on the hookah systems last summer when I was purchasing one for our family to use. I was looking for one for recreational diving with mutiple divers, so a bit different for your needs.

Bacially my reasearch led me to 3 choices: Brownie, Airline and Octopumps. I was going to order an Octopump unit, but use the Airline hoses/etc, then I came accross an older Brownie unit that fit my needs (I can use it with 4 divers to 40 ft, pumping 18 CPM's).

Majority of the older Brownie units have the Honda engine, although newer units now are with a Subaru packaged engine. Brownie makes the electric version that may also fit your needs.

Airline by JSink also uses the Honda engine. Any local small engine repair shop can repair it for you. Just a few months ago, my hookah engine needed a valve job (it was stalling out easy, and at times would not fire it up) rather than dropping it off at the Brownie headquarters located here in Ft. Lauderdale, my local lawnmower repair shop was able to fix it. The compressor is really what you need to look at, make sure you can get replacement parts/service for it.

Check out Octopumps, they have a better price than the Brownie and Airline folks, and you can buy the parts you want. Just not as "pretty" as the Brownie units. If you really want to cut back on price, just order the pump and engine and bracket. Make the hoses yourself. You may have to order the regulators (If I recall they are lower pressure regulators then you find with scuba gear). If you are going to use it just for work at the dock, you may be able to get buy without needing the float. Just leave the unit on the dock/boat and have enough hose to get around.

Check your local craigslist as well. I'm located in South Florida, so there are Hookah systems always for sale. Some of the smaller units can be found at a pretty good price.

Last edited:
One of the professional boat scrubbers reccomends the Thomas 1020. It looks like what you need.

See this thread for more information: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5185658-post3.html

For a regulator I would reccomend the Kirby Morgan Superflow 350 because it is designed to work a lower pressures and it is a "real" fully adjustable flow regulator: Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Products | Full Face Mask Regulators

Just buy some Keene breathing air hose (Synflex 34BA Bright Yellow Breathing Air Hose) and attache either a snap shackle or you favorite type of clip at about four feet from the diver end of the hose by whipping it with some polypropelene twine from Home Depot.

Most scuba regulators will screw into a female oxygen fitting on the Keene hose.

Just buy some Keene breathing air hose (Synflex 34BA Bright Yellow Breathing Air Hose) and attach either a snap shackle or you favorite type of clip at about four feet from the diver end of the hose by whipping it with some polypropylene twine from .

Most scuba regulators will screw into a female oxygen fitting on the Keene hose.
If ya need any hose, I'm expecting to be buying a spool or 2 sometime prior to summer [2011]; I can get some extra & have some left over.
Price *should* be around a half-a-buck a foot but some of the spiffier stuff, like the Synflex, sells for over a buck a foot.
Amron has a 300' minimum order, is currently at $1.12/ft.
Stay away from Home Depot, Harbor Freight, (etc.) hoses, they have nasty offgassing issues that'll really mess a guy up.

Some of the teflon-ringed oilless air compressors available will work very well, all ya need is a simple filter with those.
Plain old oil bath compressors will kill or severely damage your lungs.

hookah
We are the manufacturer of Water Pipe and Badshah Hookah. Our Badshah product line extends to other series of hookahs like the Platinum Collection Series Hookahs, Fruit & Shape Series Hookahs, Melon Hookah, Apple Hookah, Pumpkin Hookah, and Standard Series Hookahs

Smoke911.com Headquarters
3285 Saturn Court. Norcross, GA 30092, USA
Telephone: 770-542-0225
Email Office: sales@smoke911.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom