Inflator hose quick disconnect cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

Need some advice on how to keep my inflator hose QD nice and fresh. I normally soak them real well in fresh water, since they are part of the reg, obviously, and give them a thorough rinse before drying. However, my QD has been getting progressively harder to attach to the inflator, to the point that it would take a lot of effort to remove once pressurized. I took a look and the little ball bearings look pretty corroded. Will soaking them in vinegar or something help dissolve the build-up?

I don't want to be spraying any sort of lube in there, unless someone had a suggestion for something safe that isn't going to eat my wing from the inside out.

Anyone have maintenance tips and some pointers on how to avoid this in future?

Cheers.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Dip it in warm vinegar for five minutes operate the sleeve
a few times then rinse and operate the sleeve in hot water.

If you obtain a schrader removal tool, unscrew the valve
only two or three very minimal threads there and check.

You can vinegar soaked cotton bud the inside of the fitting.

Etc etc.

A new valve, if required with grease on threads is appropriate.

There is an O ring in the fitting pre valve also.

If by "harder to attach" you mean you have to push harder to connect and disconnect, that may mean the Schrader valve is loosening a bit. That is the little thing that looks just like the valve in your tire valve stem. It takes a special tool to tighten that but it can usually be tightened (or checked) by using a small flat tipped screwdriver against the side of the valve and turning.

Cleaning and lubing those SS balls can't hurt but do check the valve.

Thanks for the tips guys. I looked at the valve and the schrader post is tight. It looks like its the ball bearings- they dont move freely and are getting stuck. Ill try the vinegar soak and see how it goes.

Can you buy the valves separate and replace them, or do i have to get new hoses?

Cheers

You can buy them separately. I got some at an LDS but I'll bet a tire can match them.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, you can put the tip in the water and run the cleaner. I then spray the thing with WD-40. They work much better for a while, and then I can repeat the treatment.

I use Boeshield T-9 rather than WD-40. T-9 seems to hold up well even to salt water use.

Henrik

just be careful of any lubes that you may choose to use if you are diving anything but air. I would do the vinegar cleaning only first and see what that gets you. I would replace the entire hose if the issue is more than just a schrader valve.

Agree on vinegar, and wash with simple green and then water. Wd-40 is a loosener, not a lubricator. I have never put wd-40 on my gear before, but you would have to put lubricator on after, as wd-fo eats the dried wore out lubricant.

Another is to use salt water to activate it, then once working freely wash with fresh water. If you dive salt and fresh commonly it can gum up also.

Happy Diving

So, prior to my Sunday boat trip (trip report in norcal birthday thread) I disconnected my inflator hose from the reg, put the business end in a freezer bag of vinegar and. Let it sit for 20 mins. Rinsed in water then tested it- good as new! It's been a long time since it was as smooth as that. In fact, last time it was sticking, I replaced it with my retired ds inflator. I cleaned up the spare as well and added it to the 'just in case' pile.

Thanks for all the tips.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom